Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:23

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003

Has anyone here, especially someone who has been stuck for a while, tried cutting out artificial sweeteners? I'm thinking maybe all the sweetened coffee and tea I drink all day keeps my insulin levels up.

My suggestion is to get out the yellow pages and under home brewing supplies, find a store that stocks pure CORN SUGAR - this is a non-fructose sweetener; it is 100% sucrose, which is the same molecule as glucose.

I'm thinking it might interest you to do an experient to see that if MAYBE were you to sweeten your coffee with corn sugar from the brewer's supply store, you'd find a difference in the results of your dieting.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
My suggestion is to get out the yellow pages and under home brewing supplies, find a store that stocks pure CORN SUGAR - this is a non-fructose sweetener; it is 100% sucrose, which is the same molecule as glucose.

I'm thinking it might interest you to do an experient to see that if MAYBE were you to sweeten your coffee with corn sugar from the brewer's supply store, you'd find a difference in the results of your dieting.

I'm interested to know if you tried this?
and if you did, what was your experience?
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:29

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Turtle, I believe alot of artificial things cause inflammation in our bodies. It might not be the carbs, per se, but other things artifical sweeteners do to your body.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:33

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Thought this was pertinent to the thread

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content...act/140/10/1764
Quote:
Dietary supplementation with whole blueberries in a preclinical study resulted in a reduction in glucose concentrations over time. We sought to evaluate the effect of daily dietary supplementation with bioactives from blueberries on whole-body insulin sensitivity in men and women. A double-blinded, randomized, and placebo-controlled clinical study design was used. After screening to resolve study eligibility, baseline (wk 0) insulin sensitivity was measured on 32 obese, nondiabetic, and insulin-resistant subjects using a high-dose hyperinsulinemic-euglycemic clamp (insulin infusion of 120 mU(861 pmol)•m–2•min–1). Serum inflammatory biomarkers and adiposity were measured at baseline. At the end of the study, insulin sensitivity, inflammatory biomarkers, and adiposity were reassessed. Participants were randomized to consume either a smoothie containing 22.5 g blueberry bioactives (blueberry group, n = 15) or a smoothie of equal nutritional value without added blueberry bioactives (placebo group, n = 17) twice daily for 6 wk. Both groups were instructed to maintain their body weight by reducing ad libitum intake by an amount equal to the energy intake of the smoothies. Participants’ body weights were evaluated weekly and 3-d food records were collected at baseline, the middle, and end of the study. The mean change in insulin sensitivity improved more in the blueberry group (1.7 ± 0.5 mg•kg FFM–1•min–1) than in the placebo group (0.4 ± 0.4 mg•kg FFM–1•min–1) (P = 0.04). Insulin sensitivity was enhanced in the blueberry group at the end of the study without significant changes in adiposity, energy intake, and inflammatory biomarkers. In conclusion, daily dietary supplementation with bioactives from whole blueberries improved insulin sensitivity in obese, nondiabetic, and insulin-resistant participants.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 08:57

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Yeah, that's absolutely true: all restrictive diets will slow down your thyroid and Atkins admits this quite openly in DANDR.

Our ancestors ate just meat, fat, and very few carbs for hundreds of thousands of years. Is this considered a "restrictive diet"? Do you think they all developed thyroid problems? That doesn't make sense, evolutionarily speaking. And why would it be considered restrictive? Just because it doesn't contain a bunch of vegetables and fruit that weren't even available then as they are today?

Even though biologically speaking we are all the same species and should reap the same benefits from our "natural" diet (which to my mind is meat, fat, and very little carbohydrate), people do seem to react to different foods in different ways. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm struggling terribly lately. Whether I consistently eat 2000 calories or 1500 calories or 800 calories, I will lose weight for the first week or two, and then gain it all back in the next week or two without changing anything I'm doing. Some people are insisting to me that I absolutely need to eat a lot more veggies. And yet there's OregonRose and many others who could only lose weight and reach their goal by eliminating all veggies. There seems to be no one right way to lose pounds.

The longer I do this, the more I realize that it doesn't matter what worked for this person or that person, it only matters what works for you. And determining what works for you is a long, slow, drawn-out process. Some people likely will never find the answer. I just hope I'm not one of them.

Regarding the gastric bypass and weight-loss surgery, I personally know three people who have have this done in the past 10 years. Two flew the surgery and resulting weight loss with no problems, and one had a lot of problems (including several corrective surgeries) but she had major health issues prior to the surgery. Still, all three of them got to a good healthy weight and are thriving. None has gained back the weight, or even a portion of it.

There are horror stories to be found with virtually all surgeries.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 09:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I'm interested to know if you tried this?
and if you did, what was your experience?

Hi Judynyc,

I was never able to tolerate any of the artificial sweeteners, they upset my digestion, and occasionally created severe diarrhea.

Long ago, somewhere on this forum, a poster mentioned sprinkling corn sugar on her cereal each morning, someone who follows a low-fructose diet, and ever since then, the primary sweetener that I use is the corn sugar from the brewer's supply houses.

I've not been seriously dieting, but I have been restricting fructose, gluten, table sugar, etc. The elimination of most fructose & gluten have eliminated many health problems, and now I want to see if I can lose weight successfully.

As I said in my posting, I suggested that she *might* like to EXPERIMENT with the corn sugar, to see whether HER system might have a positive reaction to the elimination of artificial sweeteners.

So much of all this is so based upon total bio-individuality, there are so many variables at work.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 09:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

......Whether I consistently eat 2000 calories or 1500 calories or 800 calories, I will lose weight for the first week or two, and then gain it all back in the next week or two without changing anything I'm doing. Some people are insisting to me that I absolutely need to eat a lot more veggies. And yet there's OregonRose and many others who could only lose weight and reach their goal by eliminating all veggies. There seems to be no one right way to lose pounds.

The longer I do this, the more I realize that it doesn't matter what worked for this person or that person, it only matters what works for you. And determining what works for you is a long, slow, drawn-out process. Some people likely will never find the answer. I just hope I'm not one of them.

I empathize with your predicament and agree totally about the bio-individuality issues - then couple that with the "experts" being utterly clueless about weight loss and metabolism, etc., it's all very frustrating.

What I am currently very curious about is MOOD, and its possible impact on weight loss.

I am remembering times in my life when I lost weight without even trying, and these times are always correlated with periods when I was very happy & positive, in love with my work, interested in hobbies, natually very active.

However, I imagine that absolutely NO research has been done in this area, either.

LOL!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 09:24

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:

I thought corn sugar was the proposed new name for HFCS.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 09:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:

Actually, sucrose is table sugar, the white stuff. It's a disaccharide and it's made of 50/50 glucose/fructose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

Corn sugar is also made of both glucose and fructose but perhaps not in the exact same 50/50 proportion.

Quote:
Glucose is produced commercially via the enzymatic hydrolysis of starch. Many crops can be used as the source of starch. Maize, rice, wheat, cassava, corn husk and sago are all used in various parts of the world. In the United States, cornstarch (from maize) is used almost exclusively. Most commercial glucose occurs as a component of invert sugar, an approximately 1:1 mixture of glucose and fructose. In principle, cellulose could be hydrolysed to glucose, but this process is not yet commercially practical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornstarch
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 09:34

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22

Yes, a marketing ploy. And it seems to be catching fast. As if changing the name somehow made it better for humans consumption.

Right here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=417176

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100914...orn_syrup_image
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 09:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
What I am currently very curious about is MOOD, and its possible impact on weight loss.

What a dweeb I am. I read this and my first thought was, what's MOOD? Like it was an acronym for something!
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22

CORN SUGAR is an old name for pure dextrose derived from CORN ---- corn sugar is an old staple from long ago, and it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with corn syrup, or with high fructose corn syrup.

Until M.Levac's posting above, everything I read in the past about beer brewer's corn sugar stated that it was entirely fructose free and is pure dextrose.

Table sugar is half fructose, and half dextrose.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 10:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Actually, sucrose is table sugar, the white stuff. It's a disaccharide and it's made of 50/50 glucose/fructose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

Corn sugar is also made of both glucose and fructose but perhaps not in the exact same 50/50 proportion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornstarch

Huh?????

CornSTARCH???????

WHO said anything about cornstarch?

I stated corn *sugar* which is only available at brewer supply houses, it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with cornstarch.

Corn Sugar is FRUCTOSE-FREE, and that's why people who must avoid all fructose can eat it.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 10:59

BF:

Corn Sugar is a form of naturally occuring dextrose, and can be ordered from Amazon.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...gar%22+dextrose
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 11:09

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

According to wikipedia:

Quote:
Corn sugar may refer to:

Glucose or dextrose
A synonym for high-fructose corn syrup as proposed by the Corn Refiners Association

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_sugar

This makes the Corn Refiners' attempt to rename HFCS "corn sugar" even more misleading, IMO. They're taking an older term for glucose and applying it to a commodity which is more than 50% fructose.