Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default I went from thin to fat too!!

I am 5' 7 1/2" and used to weigh 120 pounds. Then, I got pregnant and gained 60 pounds with my pregnancy, actually was fortunate to lose 30 pounds weeks after delivery... but I still had that 30 pounds lingering on me! I didn't go back to my pre-pregnancy weight... I was depressed! I was frustrated!! It took me years until I was diagnosed with PCOS in December 1998. I was actually thrilled to be diagnosed with something because I couldn't understand how my metabolism was high then to become very low after pregnancy... I was thin so I thought I would return thin, but it didn't happen that way!!

After I was diagnosed and wanting to conceive another child so badly, I ended up losing 36 pounds! I was hardly eating much... but I was a elementary teacher and kept my focus on the children and running around with them and drinking Diet Cokes all day. I don't know if this contributed to my weightloss, but I was taking Clomid also. I really haven't done the research on Clomid helping with weightloss, but I felt it helped regular my hormones thus actually helping me to lose weight. Has anyone else had this experience? Or know any websites filled with Clomid or hormonal research as realted to weight gain/weightloss??? I would love to read all I can!

Anyway, I wanted to mention that I was extremely thin high school/college. Some thought I was anorexic, and then BOOM! I was excessively fat. It was very emotional for me! So, Spring, you saying that about your daughter, I can totally relate! I too love potatoes & bread, but have not had any pototoes for a long time and have bread sporatically. Whereas I used to eat lots of bread, if I ever crave it I will only allow myself one slice. I am wanting to eliminate it our my diet. I'm still working on that. I set mini-goals so as not to be discouraged. And I realize that I will make mistakes, so I don't get discouraged if I mess up one night. I just work hard the next day...

Drink lots of water!! Water!! Water!! Water!! That's my first best piece of advice. Stay away from diet drinks & regular sodas (for sure). Train the mind to drink water. It's the best diet drink for you! Cold, icy water... Mmmm... Also, herbal teas are good!

I was thinking about how to go about helping my Dad who loves carbs as well. He is overweight. I was thinking that his body would go into some kind of shock if he all of a sudden elimated carbs, so for him I think slowly decreasing carbs one by one would be better for him. For example, instead of two spoonfuls of mashed potatoes, only have one. This will help a lot. Making mim-goal like that will lessen the carbs, and get him where he should be.

Ultimately though, cutting the carbs way down is the best way to go. I wish I knew about Atkins diet when I was younger as a lifestyle and I wouldn't find myself where I am today. I think training the children young is best.

If anyone has any advice or answers to my above questions, I would appreciate hearing from you! I love this forum and want so much to get to know you all!

Christy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187.00/170.5/110
BF:
Progress: 21%

mommy2boys,
you seem to be doing fine. You have the right idea about the water, your body really needs it to rid itself of toxins. Just take it one day at a time. If your father really likes his carbs try to find something to replace them. Mashed cauliflower is a good substitution for mashed potatoes. Load them with butter and all of the seasonings that he likes.
I was thin growing up, but eating at night with my husband and my love for sweets along with a course of depro-provera made my weight shoot up quickly. Nine months ago I gave birth to twins by caesarean and ended up weighing 199lbs. I was flat on my back for 5 months.So now I'm doing something about it and so are you. There is no doubt in my mind that we will achieve our goals.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 23:13
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thank you so much for responding. Everything you have written means so much to me! I commend you on have twins!! That is hard work!! And your advice about the cauliflower is wonderful! Thank you!

Keep me updated on how you are doing!

Christy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default We seem to be doing great so far

We are doing great so far. My daughter has gone from 159 to 153 in about 10 days time...plus she started spotting like she was going to have a period, but so far that is all. We are thrilled to see any sign that her body is responding though. After a year with absolutely no periods, spotting is a good sign for her, especially after only 10 days of the diet.
I can relate so well to what you are saying about the weight going up so fast. It is so hard to watch this happen to your little girl and not have any idea what to do about it. We tried everything! But, in 10 days time she has lost 6 pounds and has started her "mini" period...so we are happy here.
It seems like you are doing well also...you have the right attitude. And yes, she is drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day also. Thanks for your imput, I appreciate all the info that I can get!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 16:56

Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Spring I can totally relate to you daughter. After my third child My periods started disapearing first Id miss one then the next time two then 4 months before id get one I couldnt get one without pills after that.After being on this WOE 2 weeks I started spotting I spotted for 9 days then started on my own a Flow it last about 7 days 10 days latter I started another period WOW & I didnt start out spotting I got bad cramps & heavy flow right away The flow did get a little scarey sorry graphic I constantly felt gushing almost went to the er only reason I didnt I didnt wanted them freaking out over ketones in my urin.It last 6 days & Now I feel great 2 cycles in one month Im still in shock this WOE has to help ammenorhea it helped me & Im expecting even more better results as I loose weight Ive been on this WOE Im in my 7th week I started DEC,31 .2001 IvE LOST 17 pnds so far & I believe if Period stays away at least a month I'll drop alot more I had alot of water retention with both the periods I got from THIS WOE & a lot of cravings The bad thing is I get water retention a week before my period & the week of So if I get another period in 10 days how can I tell if Im loosing weight but oh well guess it shows after it leaves...So tell your Daughter theres deffanatly HOPE!!!!!! Hi mommy2boys
How are you?Are you sailing along smoothly now?Havnt seen ya around do you have a journal yet?? Well better go
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I am so glad to hear that

Melanie, I am so glad to hear that you are doing about the same as my daughter. Once the doctor gave her some pills to take to start her period...I know the name but can't think right now...oh yeah, Provera. She had a period all right...about like the one that you just described. She was expecting the same thing this time when she started spotting, but so far it is just spotting. Anyway, I am glad to hear that it is working for you as well. I really believe that this diet is an answer...gosh, I sure hope so! I am also glad that you didn't have to go to the doctor. I know it can get scary when things don't seem exactly normal.
Good luck....it seems you are really doing well!! I am so glad to hear from you.