Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Made some more flax muffins this evening - this time I substituted the 1/2 cup of Splenda with a 1/2 cup of DaVinci Caramel syrup, used only 1/2 cup of the shake mix, but added 1/4 cup of walnuts, and added an extra egg in place of the cream. Delicious!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 07:06
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I hav'nt made theese in a while.. Time to go play in the kitchen once again... Got some of those sf no SA chips to throw in this time.

Angel
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 11:01

Plan: SB
Stats: 205/176/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Oh Yum

Made these last night and I'm hooked - they ARE the best!!
I used my chocolate whey protein powder and instead of the granular Splenda, I used half SF Chocolate Davinci and half Almond Roca Davinci. They puffed up so nice and chocolatey and I even forgot to add the melted butter!!! They still tasted terrific and I saved a few carbs & calories to boot! I wanted to add a few pecans, but didn't have any on hand.
I must go to the store and pick up more of the Davinci syrups - they are so great and you can change the flavor of your muffins just by changing the syrup flavor & whey powder. I LOVE FLAX!!!!
Sue
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 13:40

BF:

I think that I'm getting addicted to these

Tomorrow I'm going to make some Coffee and Walnut Flax Muffins - same recipe, but I'm planning to substitute the 1/2 cup of Splenda with a 1/4 cup of DaVinci caramel syrup and a 1/4 cup of Espresso Coffee (2 heaped tsp of coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup of water), 1/4 cup of the shake mix and 1/2 cup of walnuts.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%
Question Good but....

Hello fellow lowcarbers, I did try this receipe and loved the flavor,

I am wondering on one thing though: My muffins did not rise??? Maybe my baking powder is outdated(Is this possible) because other than that I did everything else like mentionned, except for the splenda which I omitted entirely.

Any advise?

Patricia
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 12:24

BF:

Patricia,

I usually add a tsp of baking powder rather than the half given in the recipe. I also make sure that the eggs I use are at room temperature rather than straight out of the fridge, as this can sometimes be the cause of non-rising muffins/cakes etc.

HTH
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 07:30

Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%
Smile

Thank you Demi, good advice. I am working on my next batch today (Sunday) so I can have them ready to go for the week morning rush! I will keep all posted on news!
~Patricia
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 16:05

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 265/230/150 Female 64
BF:42
Progress: 30%
Default They really are the Best Flax Muffins

These are absolutely the Best Flax Muffins in the world! I have to admit I was skeptical about how "great" these muffins really would be. I've tried more than one so-called great recipe, only to discover that, yep you guessed it....it wasn't so great. I'm hooked. I made mine with Carb Solutions brand chocolate shake mix; they were so chocolatey and brownie like, I felt like I was cheating. I also added 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/4 cup pecans and for some reason had to add another 1/4 cup heavy cream + 1/3 cup water because the consistancy of the batter, made according to the original recipe, was too thick to spoon into the muffin cups. Even after adding the additional liquid, the consistany of the raw batter was that of a thick brownie batter. I think next time I make them I will only use a 1/2 C. of shake mix. I guess the liquid ingredients have to be adjusted according to the brand of shake mix used.

Last edited by Sapphire2 : Tue, Mar-22-05 at 08:58.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 23:47

BF:

For those that might be interested, I made a Peanut Butter version of those wonderful flax muffins. Here's my recipe:

Peanut Butter Flax Muffins

½ cup Ground flax
½ cup Vanilla whey protein
½ cup Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
3 oz (1/3 cup) Peanut Butter (slightly melted)
1 oz (1 tbsp) Melted butter
½ cup Vanilla DaVinci syrup (Peanut Butter DaVinci would be even better)
2 large eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then lightly grease a large 6-hole muffin pan.
Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and the wet ingredients into a small bowl or measuring jug.
Whisk the wet ingredients, and then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Divide the mixture between the muffin pan holes and then put in the oven for 20 minutes.

Delicious - very peanut buttery, but I think that using Peanut Butter DaVinci would make them even more so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any, which is why I used the Vanilla.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 13:15

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

thank you for the wonderful recipe

i made banana nut muffins. i didn't have davinchi banana syrup so i used almond syrup and banana extract. idf anyone can clue me in about the inconsistencies of xylitol, i'll know whether i can continue to eat them or not i'll be so bummed if i can't eat them.

here is a picture

http://www.geocities.com/duchesskyr...opageflag3.html

they were delicious! i figure them at about three carbs each, next time i'll use less nuts to save on carbs. btw, it made eight muffins.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Mar-26-05, 13:40

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

actually, i figured these at about 4.2 counting the 1 carb per tsp. of xylitol. if it isn't necessary for me to count it, someone please let me know. this is how i changed the recipe

i used

2 tbls splenda

7 tbls melted butter

1/2 cup of flax meal

3/4 cup designer whey french vanilla

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 large egg

1 cap of vanilla

4 caps of schilling banana extract

1/4 cup of heavy cream

1 1/2 tbls vegetable oil

1/2 cup of davinchi almond syrup

8 tsp. xylitol

the results this time were much smoother than the last time i made this and the consistency was thinner like cake batter and it smelled just like cake batter too. oh yeah, tastred like it too

they browned nicely on top and after i took the muffins out, i buttered the tops. it was delicious
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 08:29

Stats: 239/168.2/150 Female 5'7
BF:whoa boy
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
For those that might be interested, I made a Peanut Butter version of those wonderful flax muffins. Here's my recipe:

Peanut Butter Flax Muffins

½ cup Ground flax
½ cup Vanilla whey protein
½ cup Ground almonds
1 tsp Baking powder
3 oz (1/3 cup) Peanut Butter (slightly melted)
1 oz (1 tbsp) Melted butter
½ cup Vanilla DaVinci syrup (Peanut Butter DaVinci would be even better)
2 large eggs

Pre-heat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4, and then lightly grease a large 6-hole muffin pan.
Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and the wet ingredients into a small bowl or measuring jug.
Whisk the wet ingredients, and then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
Divide the mixture between the muffin pan holes and then put in the oven for 20 minutes.

Delicious - very peanut buttery, but I think that using Peanut Butter DaVinci would make them even more so. Unfortunately, I didn't have any, which is why I used the Vanilla.

I've tweaked these a bit with delicious results - once substituting walnuts for the peanut butter and banana flavored syrup for the vanilla syrup- voila banana nut muffins! And a second time, substituting cookie dough flavored syrup for the vanilla syrup and used one bar of the Carbwise dark chocolate for the peanut butter- voila - chocolate chip cookie dough flavored muffins!

I really like Demi's recipe b/c these come out with more of a muffin-like texture, rather than the popover consistency of the original recipe on this thread. I think these would have a slightly higher carb count than the original due to the almond flour, but I think the difference in taste and texture is well worth the extra net carbs.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 18:04

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Does anyone know what a good substitute would be for the shake mix/protein powder? I'm not really keen on buying any, as I have no idea what else I would use it in. Would psyllium husk work? If so, how much to get an equivalent effect as the protein powder? Thanks for any advice. I've never done LC baking before.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 19:39
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I cannot wait to make these!!!
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-05, 08:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I made these last night. They did not rise too much and I did use 1 tsp. baking powder the egg was not quite at room temp. but not straight from the fridge. I just ate one. I put cream cheese on it and YUM! Very good.