Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-21, 06:33

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Today will be another step for me being public about my weight and using the The PE diet to lose, in total now, 75+ pounds. The fitness director at our club asked if I would share how I lost weight as November's "member of the month". Marty had published the DDF part all over his social media, so why not at this point? Some women in the aerobics classes have known me for 25 years, yet only a few commented on my weight loss or asked how I did it in the 3 months I was in swimsuit.

Great work Janet. I was hesitant at first to go public with "my story" but I figured that it could help others who might not think it possible. I keep reading in other people's comments, especially at the moment in the DDF, of how hard it for "older" women to lose weight. You and I are proof that it is possible. In fact for me all my weight was lost after age 55. So shout it out to the world. You deserve the recognition and you can serve as a roll model and inspiration for others.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-21, 09:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Today will be another step for me being public about my weight and using the The PE diet to lose, in total now, 75+ pounds. The fitness director at our club asked if I would share how I lost weight as November's "member of the month". Marty had published the DDF part all over his social media, so why not at this point? Some women in the aerobics classes have known me for 25 years, yet only a few commented on my weight loss or asked how I did it in the 3 months I was in swimsuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Great work Janet. I was hesitant at first to go public with "my story" but I figured that it could help others who might not think it possible. I keep reading in other people's comments, especially at the moment in the DDF, of how hard it for "older" women to lose weight. You and I are proof that it is possible. In fact for me all my weight was lost after age 55. So shout it out to the world. You deserve the recognition and you can serve as a roll model and inspiration for others.

Both of you are proof positive that metabolic health can be achieved regardless of circumstances. As an old codger , I especially relate to your experiences and your generous willingness to share them. Anyone at any age, any gender can benefit from your histories of achieving good health. Extremely valuable.
  #213   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-21, 10:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A new and easier URL for the P:E calculator:
https://www.proteinpercent.com

Supposedly the food search engine is easier to use too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Twitter quote: "As family doc, I saw patient yesterday who has lost 60# in 10months by following your P:E calculator I shared with her! No crazy fad diet, no weird rules. She simply learned to read labels and use the P:E calculator. Thanks!"

Can also find the new Calculator and more sample images from the book. at: https://www.tednaiman.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-16-21 at 12:52.
  #214   ^
Old Thu, Dec-02-21, 05:48

Dr Ted Naiman was asked on Twitter how he handles Thanksgiving:

"Here was my approach to Thanksgiving:
1. Intermittent fast — basically OMAD on Thanksgiving day.
2. Large workout — weights and cardio to deplete glycogen [photo].
3. Turkey First™ approach — frontload turkey breast and fibrous veggies == eating fewer calories downstream. …after that I can eat and enjoy pretty much anything and everything at Thanksgiving dinner with zero remorse and zero fat gain — and that is exactly what I did. ☺︎".
New almost shirtless Ted photo on Twitter for results 😆
Using DDF and Ted's Trademarked Turkey First appproach, I did the same.
  #215   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-21, 10:14

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi all,

I'm always glad to see this thread still going!

I've lost more weight recently. I've had the protein nailed for a long time, so I've been working the fiber (greens and fruit) side of the equation as well as more intermittent fasting (IF is a chapter in the P:E Diet book as well).

I'm about 167 pounds now, and I decided to lower my goal weight to 140. I have an odd frame - people think I'm large framed because I have wide hips, but I have small bones. So, small/wide frame.

I feel hopeful that I can make that. If I do, it would be a 180 pound weight loss.

I'm getting snide remarks about the weight loss now. My goal isn't about looks, but that is what people think (and why my coworkers even care is beyond me - one of them has asked me several times if I'm dating. Ha! I just respond that I am allergic to men, LOL). I'm trying to get my post-meal glucose to come down. Now that I'm in my 160s, my post meal after eating watermelon or potato shoots to about 225 (per CGM). When I was in my 180s and above, these would shoot me to 300 post meal. EVEN THOUGH MY A1C is 5.8. I don't understand why my fasting glucose (70s to 80s) and A1c can be so normal, but my glucose response is ridiculous. So, I've been researching, and I think what is happening is that I haven't cleared the fat out of my pancreas, since losing more weight does make it improve. Dr. Roy Taylor out of the UK is what I looked at for this information.

Last edited by Key Tones : Wed, Dec-08-21 at 10:19.
  #216   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-21, 10:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Hi all,

I'm always glad to see this thread still going!

I've lost more weight recently. I've had the protein nailed for a long time, so I've been working the fiber (greens and fruit) side of the equation as well as more intermittent fasting (IF is a chapter in the P:E Diet book as well).

I'm about 167 pounds now, and I decided to lower my goal weight to 140. I have an odd frame - people think I'm large framed because I have wide hips, but I have small bones. So, small/wide frame.

I feel hopeful that I can make that. If I do, it would be a 180 pound weight loss.

I'm getting snide remarks about the weight loss now. My goal isn't about looks, but that is what people think (and why my coworkers even care is beyond me - one of them keeps asking me if I'm dating. Ha! I just respond that I am allergic to men, LOL). I'm trying to get my post-meal glucose to come down. Now that I'm in my 160s, my post meal after eating watermelon or potato shoots to about 225 (per CGM). When I was in my 180s and above, these would shoot me to 300 post meal. EVEN THOUGH MY A1C is 5.8. I don't understand why my fasting glucose (70s to 80s) and A1c can be so normal, but my glucose response is ridiculous. So, I've been researching, and I think what is happening is that I haven't cleared the fat out of my pancreas, since losing more weight does make it improve. Dr. Roy Taylor out of the UK is what I looked at for this information.

Isn't it ironic (a nice term) when people who witness one who is going through a lifestyle change with visible, positive results? Good friends and colleagues would be happy, but it's sometimes surprising how people react.

Good work, and keep going. Tracking blood glucose is a voyage where many discover how disciplined, healthy eating slowly moves one to positive numbers and continued positive results. After many years of very low carb, I combined the P:E approach with Data Driven Fasting (DDF) to track how my blood glucose changed under certain conditions regarding food consumed and timed eating. It might be the thing that provides answers for how your BG responds if you haven't tried it already. There's also another thread under General Low-Carb for DDF where people who are following the program provide excellent feedback:
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485070
  #217   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-21, 11:37

BF:

GRB,

Thank you!

I can control my glucose response by controlling carbohydrates, or adding fiber or protein to the carbohydrates. I avoid adding fat at this point, but that works too. I just want to have a normal glucose response at this point without having to do that.

I don't eat refined carbs - I just mean any fruit or veg - I just want to be able to eat those without the ridiculous response. I'm still wearing the CGM.

I am familiar with Marty Kendall--I know Dr. Naiman likes him. I'm just not into getting that technical with it.
  #218   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-21, 11:44

In a few recent interviews Ted Naiman said his new book will be on Satiety per Calorie. He listed the nine ways that have studies proving you can increase satiety with a lower energy intake.*

Nine evidenced based steps to improve satiety per calorie.

Increase Protein Percentage of diet. Aim for 30%.
Increase amount of Fiber in grams per 1000 calories.
Reduce Refined Carbohydrates and Reduce High Gylcemic Carbohydrates.
Eat Less Fat. Passively overeating Fat lowers satiety per calorie**
Increase Nutrient Density and Micronutrients in food.
Increase Water, drink and in foods
Lower the overall energy density of diet.
Less processing increases the thermic effect of foods, eat peanuts, not peanut butter
Eliminate Alcohol.

New way to measure:
https://www.satietypercalorie.com

* From Ted Naiman interview on Muscle Intelligence podcast minute 20

Also called the Satiety Index, Marty Kendall's article:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/calculating-satiety/

**. Keto Lie #11: You should ‘eat fat to satiety’ to lose body fat
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...-lose-body-fat/

Then on Twitter 12/20. Ted used MFP data( assuming the same or similar massive data set Marty Kendall used)
• Scrape half a million days of MyFitnessPal data off a public weight loss forum.

• Graph % of goal calories versus macronutrient %.

• Observe protein % exert a 3.2x to 6x leverage over everything else

Bonus:

chagrin over previous low carb religious zeal and any keto fat fetishization after realizing that fat is basically unhelpful while carbs don’t seem to be a major problem — and the real driver of low carb success was likely higher protein % (and fiber) all along."

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Dec-20-21 at 06:56.
  #219   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-21, 11:46

Why Dr Ted Naiman does NOT recommend OMAD, in Answer to a ? On Twitter. More in The PE Diet book.

Quote:

First, it is difficult for most people to hit their protein and nutrient targets with one meal only.

Second, many get so hungry with one meal only that their food choices are suboptimal.

Third, OMAD is not great for building/maintaining lean mass.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-01-22 at 04:56.
  #220   ^
Old Sat, Jan-01-22, 09:55

BF:

Quote:
Why Dr Ted Naiman does NOT recommend OMAD, in Answer to a ? On Twitter. More in The PE Diet book.
Quote:
Quote:
First, it is difficult for most people to hit their protein and nutrient targets with one meal only.

Second, many get so hungry with one meal only that their food choices are suboptimal.

Third, OMAD is not great for building/maintaining lean mass.

These are important points regarding eating frequency. After experimenting with all variations of IF, then OMAD, and 3MAD, I landed on 2MAD for the same reasons. I believe Marty's data over time also shows greatest success with 2 meals in a 8:16 or 6:18 format. It's worked very well over several years for me. Again, we all need to discover our "sweet spots" for getting enough nourishment including an emphasis on protein, and many will find personal variations that work best.
  #221   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 08:37

Dr Naiman posted this on Twitter in response to a video about "too much protein". It is two pages from his book…also relevant to the Diet Wars over the US News ranking, and how Mike Pompeo could lose so much weight..he pulled all the levers at once. Hope this is OK to post.

Quote:
Suspect this is unifocal over-reliance on carb reduction.

If you believe carbs are the sole problem, you naturally end up keto, then carnivore. This is a huge improvement over the S.A.D. but might not be optimal vs. moderate carb reduction, then pulling other levers.

From TPED:

Start with second page, Beware:

#222   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-22, 19:01

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Interesting Janet and I agree that tweaking your diet, exercise, mindset, sleep, stress levels etc...can make all the difference.

For instance, just changing the type of protein. Switching from ground beef to ham or chicken lowers the fat enough to cause my weight to go down, but does not affect blood glucose. I never realized how much fat is in ground beef, even if you get the 85/15 or 90/10.

Thanks for posting
  #223   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-22, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
Interesting Janet and I agree that tweaking your diet, exercise, mindset, sleep, stress levels etc...can make all the difference.

For instance, just changing the type of protein. Switching from ground beef to ham or chicken lowers the fat enough to cause my weight to go down, but does not affect blood glucose. I never realized how much fat is in ground beef, even if you get the 85/15 or 90/10.

Thanks for posting

If your waking BG is still high, I would suggest reading all of the DDF 101 manual as to why, posted on the Marty Kendall thread below with link to get it free, or do a challenge.

I also added comments to my Success Story with more specific foods I changed from my previous LCHF.

If you lower the fat in your diet, both leaner protein, and less cheese, etc. your BG will go down over the longer term. If your waking BG is high, it is not only from fast acting carbs, but the fat in your meal from the night before. The Big, Fat, Keto Lies #5 covers it’s impact on insulin (long, detailed science) but Dr Naiman posted a meme on Twitter this morning that summarized the problem with high BG eating LCHF/ “Keto" lol:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/opt...ion/#more-24358

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-20-22 at 06:29.
  #224   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-22, 00:05

BF:
Default Food Junkies Podcast on Spotify - Episode 57 Dr Ted Naiman

I finally heard Dr. Naiman say the one thing that caught my attention and made me his patient forever - it's not your fault.

I am sick of the stigma and hearing of poor treatment that patients receive from doctors, with the implication that its the patients fault or blatant comments to that effect. I got so much of that my whole life (I had been obese for as long as I can remember - no memory of every being at a normal weight until now). This blame/shame thing from doctors needs to end.

I love how moves the focus from how much you're eating on to focusing what are the best foods to eat to maximize satiety *per calorie*. He is so awesome.

I wrote up the story of my first appointment with doctor Naiman, which is buried somewhere on the Diet Doctor website in the success stories (which is now outdated anyway - I've lost more weight since then). He actually said the words "it's not your fault" to me, which was the most refreshing thing I have ever heard.

But better yet is hearing him talk about this. His message is a little different now than it was back then. He now talks about how every human is hard wired to overeat those hyperpalatable refined carbs and fat. I've long known food manufacturers do everything they can to hijack the reward systems in your brain to make you eat more to maximize their profits. I just didn't know about the importance of eating this much protein (if left to my own devices, I only eat half the protein I do now on the P:E Diet - I had to double the protein to finally lose the weight).

It's on the podcast Food Junkies Podcast on Spotify - Episode 57 Dr Ted Naiman that he retweeted today on Twitter. I highly recommend listening to this one.

I wish it was up on YouTube, because I like to watch interviews. I often skip them if they aren't - glad I didn't miss this one!

Last edited by Key Tones : Sat, Jan-29-22 at 00:47.
  #225   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-22, 00:16

BF:

Oh - I just looked at my profile - time to update my weight.

I'm down to 158 pounds now, give or take. Most mornings I am under 160 pounds. I went in to see Dr. Naiman in December. He pulled a graph of my weight loss. It's pretty crazy - the graph is just a linear line, straight down since mid-2019.

It is so sad how hard I tried on low carb/high fat when I got stuck years ago. I tried everything. All the low carb versions, added paleo template to it, tried ketogenic (Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet). Even that Atkins fat fast - good grief, that was the worst. Amber and I on the old low carb friends site talked about that one. It didn't work for either one of us and we both ended up fatter! I thought it was working but realized I was just dehydrating or debloating, and when I went back to regular low carb my weight quickly jumped up the scale to heavier than before, and that weight was like concrete! I wish I knew then what I know now.