Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 02:58

Plan: Dr. Phil
Stats: 153/148/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default aniti-candida diet vs. too much cortisol

Hello there,
I am new to this site and really hope that someone out there can give me some good sound advice. I am 6 months postpart um, have had chronic stress for at least 5 years and I am losing a tremedous amount of hair. I fully realize that is very common for postpartum women however, I experienced a hair loss before my pregnancy for no apparent reason. The hair loss stopped during my pregnancy and started up about 3 months after my babies were born. I find that after I eat certain foods my hair loss is more, especially after eating breads, pizza, sweets, wine and nuts. I do not seem to have any bowel problems though. I realize that a portion of this problem may be due to hormones but I definitely see the connection with certain foods as well. What I am concerned about is the fact that I have read in several different places that a low-carb diet can sometimes cause hair loss due to the levels of cortisol rising. Can you help me with this and or explain how it all works. I need to keep what hair is left on my head.
Thanks so much,
Dinahsue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress:

I don't have an answer for you, but after my daughter was born three years ago my hair fell out at a dramatic rate, but you should also be feeling new hair growth coming through, i can however recommend that coconut oil on your scalp feeds the hair, it slowed down the loss for me a lot, rub it into the scalp at night, if you can manage it leave it on, wash it off in the morning, do not dye your hair!!!!! try washing with a simple ph soap, like dove instead of shampoo and feed your body with as much fruit and veg you can manage, it's probably just the nutrients your babies have sucked you dry off, bue check with your doctor just in case.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 15:58

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Losing hair is pretty common after having a baby, but you should not feel as though your hair is thinning out. Some have lots of extra hair growth during pregnancy then it falls out after. You sound like me, I'd start pulling it out by handfuls about 3 months post-partum. High cortisol levels can cause your hair to fall out. If you have a high stress life, you really need to try to address the stress.

Excess androgens can also cause your hair to fall out. This is a problem I think I have had each post-partum. I would also grow somewhat of a moustache (I'm brunette, it's very noticeable), that used to resolve when I weaned. I had hormone testing over the summer and I am on the high- normal side for testosterone.

This may resolve for you on it's own in a couple of months as your hormones go back to normal. The foods you described as aggravators definitely raise cortisol (although I don't see why nuts would unless you are allergic). Any stress will raise cortisol, not getting enough sleep, low-cal dieting, being pressed for time, etc. The problem is if you have had alot of stress in your life for a prolonged period of time, those high cortisol levels eventually become low because your adrenals can no longer keep up with the demand. Low cortisol can really wreak havoc on your life (take it from someone who's going through it), so I encourage you to try to reduce your stress before you feel like a burn out.

Schwarzbein Principle II would be a good read for you. She talks alot about high, low and fluctuating cortisol levels. You would also get the explanation you're looking for on how what you eat effects your various hormones.

Is this your first baby? I am always a wreck postpartum when all my hormones come crashing down. You've gotten through the hard months. Hopefully things will get better soon.