Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 19:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Glad you liked it.

We had this also yesterday!! A real quick easy dessert!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-01, 15:38

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have now made my second Mock Danish.
This time I used Mascarpone Cheese and I also dissolved the Saccharin-Tablet in water beforehand.

It tasted much better, not sure about the consistency though. It was rising like mad in the microwave, but fell into itself when I took it out, which gave it a "melted rubber"-like look and consistency. Is my Microwave too strong ? Should I use a lower setting ( I nuked it at 700W).

The Saccharin has a nasty aftertaste ( not bitter, just very sweet), but it is the only non-aspartame thing I can find.

My mom will send some german liquid sweetener over. That may be better.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 09:05
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Mock Danish has now become my football watching snack (American).

My husband makes his Sunday Pizza, and I make chocolate Mock Danish in the oven after.

I use 4 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons Splenda
vanilla if I remember

I mix it loosely, mostly getting the powder ingrediants mixed with the egg and stirred in a bit to the cream cheese but leave vast huge pockets of untouched cream cheese. It cooks in the oven, maybe 15 minutes, I don't count, and it's like a brownie treat with warm cream cheese. Beautiful contrast of black and white.

I like this so much I only have one on Sundays, and I make something protein with it to have for a lunch, like a can of tuna. I'm full all afternoon and husband's pizza and chips have no effect on me.

Elihnig
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 340/302/225
BF:
Progress:
Default Mock Danish

Nat,

Remember what you are about to read comes from a male.

Recipe is fine insofar as ingredients are concerned but prior to making it I would like to know how many servings are there? Does it all go into one portion and then do you dole it out or do you make in separate portions. eg. cup cake papers etc.

Confused but happy.

Al
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Al, the ingredients in the original (first few posts in this thread) are for one. Often we double it and still make it for one. It all depends on how hungry you are

I like to put it on a plate with some butter to cool, my boyfriend eats it right out of the tupperware container.

Enjoy,
Nat
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:25

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default No Splenda!!

1.) What is the count for this yummy item and can people on
Atkins eat this???

2.) No Splenda -- have Stevia - can I substitute? How much do you think or should I use Equal or Sweet N Low??? Can not find Splenda here in Illinois.

Thanks
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:29

BF:

The entire count for the recipe is listed a few posts into the thread. Head back to the beginning and read down, its all there.

I think it's ok for Atkins, but i'm not sure about Induction. Check with your book to see that you can have cream cheese, the eggs I know are ok

Stevia should work, experiment and see. The others don't do well when heated. As for Stevia, I have never used it so I'm not sure how much you'll need. Alternatively you could make a savoury one with some veggies and / herbs; there are a few examples of this kind of danish in the thread as well, no sweeteners required.

Happy baking,
Nat
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:42

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

hi!
you can make it with steevia, but be careful. it's so strong, that a little goes a long way. i tried once, put in too much (2 small scoops) and had to throw it out.
hth
brenda
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:45

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Thanks!

Thank you. I have the liquid Stevia and I will try it out slowly as I have never worked with this product before. I am not a
big sweet eater -- so maybe I can get by with a drop.

Thanks again

A Thin Me
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 16:59

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

OK OK - I read all through this thread and thought "what's all the excitement?" then I tried Elihnig's variation above, except I just zapped it in the micro at high for 2 minutes in a tupperware bowl, instead of baking in the oven.

Not only does it taste good, (ok - great) but it also looks really appetizing. The white pockets of cream cheese, actually look like mini-marshmellows. DH and I split one. It was just enough for a *sweet* with our tea.

I'm sold. It's now my favourite dessert.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 17:24

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Does it all go into one portion and then do you dole it out or do you make in separate portions. eg. cup cake papers etc.

The original recipe makes one serving. I make it in one of the "disposable" ziploc containers, a round one, it's about 5" or 6"diameter, holds 14 oz (414ml) about the size of a real danish. I microwave it for 2 minutes and then pop it out onto a plate.

I usually add a few drops of sweet'n'low in addition to the Splenda and sometimes use Davinci amaretto syrup instead of vanilla. I think Stevia would work fine, you might have to experiment with the amount.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 17:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Yep, you can use stevia, but use sparingly. It can take a while to get the aftertaste out of your mouth if you use too much.

Karen
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 18:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
I'm sold. It's now my favourite dessert.

It took me about 4 tries to decide I was going chocolate; never looked back That mix of cream cheese and cocoa is wonderful, kind of like a very moist brownie. LC, have you tried the bulk barn ruby red cocoa? It's even richer than the regular stuff (22% fat as opposed to 12%)

Nat
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 17:45

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Thumbs up Hi Nat

Now I know what all the rave is all about when I see all the Mock Danish replies go by..........I bought some cream cheese and your right the light has less carbs ( I wonder why), anyways, I can't believe how wonderfully delicious this quick and easy recipe is!!!
I mixed mine with cocoa, perfect for when TOM visits, LOL

Thanks for sharing!
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 19:20

Plan: Adkins Induction
Stats: 136/133/120
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question

Question?? I am stuck on the Mock Danish. Can anyone help? The recipe calls for 2 oz cream cheese. Does that mean 2 oz or 2 of the 8oz cream cheese? How much does this recipe make at a time? What do you cook in? I feel real stupid, but i want to try this. Bread didn't turn out real good either. i made the adkins bread. pretty thick and heavy with barely any taste. Any solutions or is this it? Thanks for the help.

mckenzie