Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-14, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Low Carb HIgh Fat

Hey guys, I'm really interested in the LCHF. I have a long history with Atkins, but I think I need to focus on more real food and higher fat ratios. I notice there are some pales who eat this way. Anyone know of a LCHF thread or any good websites? Personal experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-14, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 174/157/157 Male 173 cm
BF:13%
Progress: 100%

#3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-14, 01:12

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I know of this one : https://www.dietdoctor.com/LCHF

I follow his blog a little bit

But LCHF is just another word for ketogenic diets (you can find lots of stuff on that, but a it's really trendy these days, and a lot of he people are youngish looking to lose 15 pounds or muscle people trying to get cut - this is quite different from this board's dominant middle aged clearly overweight or obese vibe (which is where I fit, the keto stuff just didn't click with me).

Atkins is an example of a LCHF diet. In a number of countries they are referring to the whole low carb movement as LCHF (which is in fact a better description)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-14, 12:52

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I don't have a great source of information for you but I can offer this food idea thread:

The High-Fat, Dairy-Free Thread.

When it comes to actually eating HFLC without dairy you might be surprised at how hard it is to get fat ratios up without butter, cream, and cheese.

I'm trying to eat this way now too, so I'm interested in any information you find and in your own experience.

As for the other links given here, they have great information for LCHF, but they're not paleo. They both rely on dairy products to raise fat percentages. If you dig through this forum you'll find ample reason to forgo dairy, even low casein dairy like butter and cream. For example, the hormones in butter are counter-productive to weight loss. All dairy, even butter, is very insulinogenic.

Last edited by bike2work : Sun, Apr-06-14 at 13:16.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-14, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

Cristivlad- off to check out your website.

Parismama- I realize Atkins is an example of lCHF but I don't think there is as much concentrated focus on keeping your fat up and protein at a reasonable level. .......figuring out the terms for everything people use is the hardest thing. Thanks for the link!

Bike2work- thanks! I'm not sure I want to go paleo, but you all seem to be a bit more educated than the general low carber, so I knew you would have great info for me Do you have links to specific studies that say all dairy is insulin inducing? That's interesting and something I've never heard. All dairy hormones or just the artificial ones?

Have any of you heard of dr. Attia? Here's one of his videos, in interview the diet dr did. Very very good info.

Video

Last edited by NinaS : Sun, Apr-06-14 at 16:00.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 01:30

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Yes Peter Attia is a great resource, clever in explaining things too. His own example and advice is often geared to other ultra-fit, heavy-exercisers like himself, from what I've seen, not frumpy middle aged women like me, but I learn from him nevertheless!

Nina, I agree that it's easy to lose focus of the higher fat, moderate protein (and calorie-reduced) ratios that many of us need when you just read Atkins, in particular the versions of his books where they push their products.

A few of the books that helped me learn more and figure out what worked for me were Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101 (which is about problem solving low carb diets specifically). And the Jeff Volek / Steve Phinney books of low carbohydrate performance & living (nutritional ketosis is better explained in the performance book, even though it's written for athletes).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 12:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS
Bike2work- thanks! I'm not sure I want to go paleo, but you all seem to be a bit more educated than the general low carber, so I knew you would have great info for me Do you have links to specific studies that say all dairy is insulin inducing? That's interesting and something I've never heard. All dairy hormones or just the artificial ones?

All dairy.

I can't find my copy of Wheat Belly right now, which has several great references, but here's one from Dr. Georgia Ede :

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/ab...637480903150114

You should read this thread from Costello, who was low carb for many years and stalled until she gave up dairy. Her results are stunning; she dropped 53 pounds after giving up dairy. Keep in mind, this is after many years of already being low carb:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=450127
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: raw fatty meat
Stats: 166/151.2/155 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 135%

Lard or tallow can be inducing insulin?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 14:00
Registered Member

BF:

Correction:
lard or tallow can inducing insulin?

I'm sorry.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 14:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleochris
Correction:
lard or tallow can inducing insulin?

I'm sorry.

No, lard and tallow don't induce insulin secretion.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 19:48
Registered Member

BF:

Great, low carbohydrate and high fat is best. Is health and good life.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-14, 19:54
Registered Member

BF:

With this diet and mid workouts I have gained 6lb in 2 months, in muscle. I'm Happy.