Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 08:19

Plan: Schwarzbein (was CAD)
Stats: 185/172/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default New to the Principle

Hi y'all!

I was doing CAD, but was having trouble controling my reward meals and not eating on a regular schedule was messing with my mind and body. A little background: I was anorexic for five years before "recovering" (read: putting weight on through binge/purge/overexercise cycles) and have been trying to get healthy. Needless to say, my body has been put through the ringer. I read the SP on a whim and what the doctor said made a lot of sense, plus this seems like a moderate way to eat that I can stick with. My only problem is giving up tobacco and coffee!!

I love my morning (and mid afternoon and early evening!) coffee! As for tobacco, when I was in the major throws of not eating I smoked 2 packs a day, since then I smoke one cigarette after dinner, which gives me some stress relief and psychological comfort. I have been doing this for two years and so far, it has not led me back to smoking more. I want to heal my body, but was wondering what experiences others had with giving up stimulants. Did you all go cold turkey or taper off slowly?

Thanks!

Love, Kate
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: SPI
Stats: 154/165/132 Female 168
BF:33%
Progress: -50%

hi kate,
haha...know where you are coming from. I love me coffee too and rely on the hit it gives me to get thru the day. I think if you'll notice in the book she talks about getting the first two principles down pat before thinking about giving up the chemicals. So, work your way onto the nutrition plan, get asl much sleep as you need and go from there.
I find the diet pretty easy to stick to, and trying to get all the sleep i can but its hard. dont think about giving up coffee i dont think till your super comfy with the way of eating and have been sleeping well for a while...if you do it and you havent mastered stages 1 and 2 i think (but im not sure if my interpretation from thebook is correct) then you can really shock your body and your adrenals...you will need them to self medicate for a while...
hope this helps
stace
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-26-06, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default First Things First...

Hi Everyone,

Welcome, Kate - glad to have you here!

And Stacey (or would you prefer Stace?) - your advice is spot-on to what Dr. S says in her books.

Best to all,

-Don