Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 10:36
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

LOL! I forgot to add this... we have a prolific wild strawberry patch in my back yard. I just worry about the weird, slimy mold/mushroom that grows there every spring as well....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-13, 08:22

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

We forage on a daily basis. Lambs quarter, mallow, velvet leaf, dandelion, curly dock and broadleaf plaintain are the biggies we look for. But it's to feed the food, not us. I think next spring we'll be eating more of what we forage.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-13, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL dairy rung
Stats: 150/145/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 33%

I do! Follow the seasons, I can forage year round, urban and rural where I live, great excercise. Porcini and chanterelles are in season now! I have a very bad case mushroom fever!
I also found an old walnut tree, loaded year after year
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-13, 07:06

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

lol, I wish I could just find a walnut tree ..
I think the key to foraging, perhaps not just where I live but everywhere, is to become educated about your local weeds and local native plants and their names and if they have uses (especially as food). I'm still learning, but I'm getting this amazing feeling of empowerment from it.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 17:47

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Around here we look under dying Elm trees to find the mushrooms in the spring.

We forage for mushrooms, walnuts and hazelnuts, wild berries: black berries and rasberries. We grow a garden and raise most of our meats.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 18:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

For you foragers, walnut trees used to be planted around houses. If you find a group in the forest, look around. You'll also find nice rare "heirloom" bulbs which were also planted by humans and other interesting things.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 20:24

Plan: iDukan, Consolidation
Stats: 174/147/147 Female 5'7"
BF: Goal: < 30%
Progress: 100%

I live in track housing in Southern California, we would probably starve to death if we suddenly had to forage for our food. But I do try to make use of our small backyard; citrus trees, boysenberries galore, vegetable garden, two hens (don't tell anyone), and recently we got a macadamia nut tree (found out that they actually do well here, yay! protein that grows on trees, we will survive!)
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-13, 07:55

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I forage, but not very often, because my boyfriend, who does all the cooking, is still gradually transitioning from not being willing to eat anything which isn't sold in a plastic bag or a cardboard box. Even when my wonderful apple tree was groaning with huge crops of brilliant red, crispily delicious apples, he would buy tasteless, grainy, colourless ones covered in pesticides and waxy stuff and sold in plastic bags. Thankfully, he has a sweet tooth, so he agreed to eat my apples in sweet desserts over the last few years, and this year he finally, reluctantly agreed to taste one, and was bowled over. He maintains, to save face, that it was only good because it was a particularly "good year". Nevertheless, the birds still get most of my apples.

I have a wildlife garden, so there are a lot of edible plants growing out there, in addition to the cultivated ones. I once tried dandelion flowers fried in a light batter. They were delicious - a bit like mushrooms, but no-one else would even taste them, so I had to eat them all myself and felt sick by the end, lol. I've also roasted dandelion root for a very nice drink. Another thing I tried was borage - I made that into soup. It had a really delicious flavour.

I'd love to experiment more, but if my boyfriend even sees me sneaking one single dandelion leaf from the garden into anything, he won't even taste it. I don't like to annoy him, and he normally does all the cooking, and always consults me about what he makes, so the least I can do is respect his feelings, and keep trying the more gentle route of waiting for him to come around. I'm not sure he'll ever be a convert, but he doesn't blink any eyelid nowadays when I stop to collect sprigs of herbs when we're out in the countryside. That's a big improvement from a few years ago, when he stomp off with pursed lips, moaning about lead poisoning because of the proximity to a road (which hardly ever saw traffic) or some other spurious reason for thinking we'd be poisoned by it.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sun, Dec-08-13 at 08:08.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-13, 07:54

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I envy you so much your wildlife garden, apple tree, and willingness to experiment. It's a shame your boyfriend denies himself those interesting new tastes. I buy my apples from a local farmer's market now and, my goodness, the difference in sweetness and crunch. I'll never go back to those waxy, mushy, supermarket things!
Even if I had the opportunity to forage, I'd have to pass it up until I got very educated first: absolutely don't know the difference between a mushroom and a toadstool, nutritious leaves and poisonous ones, that sort of thing.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-13, 17:20

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yes, it's lovely to have the variety in the garden - I have elderberries, apples, raspberries, wild strawberries, rhubarb, herbs, etc. I have a cherry but it hasn't produced fruit yet. I'd love to add a blackcurrant, blueberries and more herbs, but our energy isn't that good, and never stretches to adding stuff - we're too busy trying to hack everything back - things grow like crazy in Scotland. You soon learn to recognize the edible plants. Like you, I'd never attempt to pick wild mushrooms.