Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 05:40

Plan: TSP (CALP'd for 8 yrs 1st
Stats: 235/175/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Question large weight loss, anyone?

I'm curious -- I have several friends from my old CALP list who have 50 or (many) more pounds to lose. I've noticed that most people I've read from that have success on TSP don't seem to have needed to lose that much. I'm doing great and feeling great on this plan, but I only have about 15 pounds to lose. Are there success stories of people who have lost LARGE amounts of weight and kept them off?

~ tiffany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Don't See Why It Won't Work...

Hi Tiffany,

From what Dr. S says in her books, TSP doesn't seem to be limited to just small amounts of weight loss. If you look in this forum under the thread "Success Stories", you'll see a post near the end from ArticCat, who has lost 35 pounds (and it took 3 years to do it).

I believe TSP will work for any amount of weight loss, given that the person isn't suffering from some organic damage or disease. The challenge is likely that the more overweight, the longer (and perhaps more intensely) the person has abused their body, and the longer it will take to heal. TSP doesn't really show results on the scale until the latter stages of healing. That's why we have to look at simply feeling better (which is a much earlier result) as a victory, and to support one another as we go along.

Many times people can be desperate to lose weight in a short amount of time. I don't want to sound harsh, but it would do no one a favor to encourage a desperate (or impatient ) person to try TSP. They would only get frustrated, and leave discouraged. At the same time, their frustration would be a burden on everyone else. BUT - if they're willing to stick to it, and are determined to have a good attitude -- the more the merrier!

-Don
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: CALP, now Schwarzbein
Stats: 203/143/143 Female 160 cm
BF:56%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%
Default So true!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerGuy
I believe TSP will work for any amount of weight loss, given that the person isn't suffering from some organic damage or disease. The challenge is likely that the more overweight, the longer (and perhaps more intensely) the person has abused their body, and the longer it will take to heal. <snip>.
Many times people can be desperate to lose weight in a short amount of time. I don't want to sound harsh, but it would do no one a favor to encourage a desperate (or impatient ) person to try TSP. They would only get frustrated, and leave discouraged. At the same time, their frustration would be a burden on everyone else. BUT - if they're willing to stick to it, and are determined to have a good attitude -- the more the merrier!
-Don

Don, have I ever told you you are a gem? :-) Sometimes I still get those times of "Uh, oh, what are you doing? You are going up in weight (well it's only muscle, but you know how discouraging numbers can be at times), go back to your old ways, after all you've lost 60 lbs on that!"

But what's the use of weight loss when you are not truly healthy in the end?
I don't want to end up with an inscription on my tombstone soon "But she only weighed 130 lbs!"

I'm sticking with TSP because my body clearly tells me it's the way to go, to hell with numbers!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-20-06, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Right On, Barbara!

Hi Barbara,

Quote:
But what's the use of weight loss when you are not truly healthy in the end?
I don't want to end up with an inscription on my tombstone soon "But she only weighed 130 lbs!"

That reminds me of an old Bill Cosby routine about people at a funeral, looking down into the casket at the deceased, and saying, "Doesn't he look good?" And somebody else replies, "No! He looks dead!"

Quote:
I'm sticking with TSP because my body clearly tells me it's the way to go, to hell with numbers!

The only numbers important to me are my daily blood pressure readings (which are excellent now, after 12 weeks on TSP) and A1C test results (which show average insulin levels over a 90 day period).

-Don
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 05:55
Registered Member

Default Numbers

Quote:

That reminds me of an old Bill Cosby routine about people at a funeral, looking down into the casket at the deceased, and saying, "Doesn't he look good?" And somebody else replies, "No! He looks dead!"

ROFL, good one!

Quote:

The only numbers important to me are my daily blood pressure readings (which are excellent now, after 12 weeks on TSP) and A1C test results (which show average insulin levels over a 90 day period).
-Don

My BP has been good all the time, no matter what I weighed, even at 203lbs, it was more on the low side. Now when I lie down it's 105/68 and when I stand up it's 120/80, indicates my adrenals aren't burned out, right?

My HbA1C has been 5.2% the last time (shouldn't be over 6% I think), I wonder how it will be at my next check-up in November because last time I still have been undereating carbs.

BTW here is the definition for HbA1C, taken from a medical encylopedia:
"HbA1c is a test that measures the amount of glycosylated hemoglobin in your blood. The test gives a good estimate of how well diabetes is being managed over time".

As my doc explained it to me, the more glyosylated hemoglobin in your blood, the higher your average blood sugar has been during the last 90 days.

Ah, I love science!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 06:15

BF:
Talking W'icha

I'm sticking with TSP because my body clearly tells me it's the way to go, to hell with numbers![/QUOTE]

I'm absolutely with you, Barbara and Don. I mean, after all, I'm not even weighing any more. I feel good, and I even like what I see in the mirror. It's been very freeing, and I wouldn't trade this healthy feeling, or this new-found ease around food for anything in the world!

The hard part has been watching people that I deeply care about, after many years sharing a support list for CALP, who I know have 50, 100 or so pounds to lose, struggle to stay on or have successes on CALP. I have to shut the control freak in me up, and trust what I actually do know: That we each have to find our own path to wellness, even if it means stumbling around and hurting in ways that seem, on the surface, to be unneccesary.

I need to be more congruent, and think more like the therapist that I am. I don't presume to know what my clients' paths will look like. I just help them tune into themselves so that we can both follow their inner wisdom to their healing. I need to learn to extend that with my loved ones more consistantly. (This would be part of why we're not allowed to treat friends and family! )

Thanks for helping me see myself more clearly. I appreciate you both.

~ tiffany
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 07:23
Registered Member

Default P.S. to HbA1C/calculating average BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb4us
BTW here is the definition for HbA1C, taken from a medical encylopedia:
"HbA1c is a test that measures the amount of glycosylated hemoglobin in your blood. The test gives a good estimate of how well diabetes is being managed over time".
As my doc explained it to me, the more glyosylated hemoglobin in your blood, the higher your average blood sugar has been during the last 90 days.

And here is a formula I've found to calculate your average blood sugar for the last 90 days from your HbA1C

average Blood sugar = 33.3 x HbA1c (%) - 86

I would give you the link, but the website is in German.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-21-06, 07:34
Registered Member

Default passing on info about TSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcqb
I feel good, and I even like what I see in the mirror. It's been very freeing, and I wouldn't trade this healthy feeling, or this new-found ease around food for anything in the world!

So good to hear and I'm so glad I made you read the book :-)) I absolutely feel the same about myself!

Quote:
The hard part has been watching people that I deeply care about, after many years sharing a support list for CALP, who I know have 50, 100 or so pounds to lose, struggle to stay on or have successes on CALP.

Oh boy, it almost breaks my heart every day, we know whom we are talking about, huh? But IMO people must be ready like you were and others probably are, we can pass on the information very carefully like I've been doing it
("do me a favor and read the book, I'm very much interested in your opinion")
but as you said, everybody must find their own way.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 04:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb4us
So good to hear and I'm so glad I made you read the book :-)) I absolutely feel the same about myself!

You should! I'm very much indebtted to you.

<< we can pass on the information very carefully like I've been doing it
("do me a favor and read the book, I'm very much interested in your opinion")
but as you said, everybody must find their own way.
>>

I've learned quite a lot watching the way you interact with others. You are so very talented. I mean, one certain person rejected my experiences straight away, but with all your gentleness and tact, she started to seriously consider! It was poetry to watch!

At risk of being horribly redundant, I do so admire you!

~ tiffany
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 07:50
Registered Member

Default I'm flattered!

Quote:
I've learned quite a lot watching the way you interact with others. You are so very talented. I mean, one certain person rejected my experiences straight away, but with all your gentleness and tact, she started to seriously consider! It was poetry to watch!
At risk of being horribly redundant, I do so admire you!

Thanks dear, I'm really flattered! You know, psychology and esp. group psychology is sort of a hobby. And when I still was working I was the boss of 138 people all over Germany, not easy sometimes but I kept them in line with a gentle whip, LOL.

Perhaps I should have become a diplomat? <g>

BTW if you want the quotes to appear correctly you must use the quote in brackets at the beginning and the backslash quote in brackets at the end of the text. Then just copy the quote and backslash quote to the beginning and end of the next text part you want to comment to.

I hope I could explain this fairly understandable, LOL.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 10:39

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Is CALP Carbohydrate Addict's Lifetime Program by the Hellers?

When I get further along (I'm at 180.6 lbs today) I will probably return to Schwarzbein eating to maintain. Sadly, I couldn't lose on it. I've lost +/- 17 lbs since February of 2006 (5 slo-o-o-o-w months).
I'm glad you are all so well and happy. The variety of food and the quality on SP are excellent!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%

Santabarb--
Could you tell me a little more about your plan/s that you are following (Pennington/Anchell)? I, too, could not lose with TSP even though I do think it is very healthy. Thanks!