Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:57

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Okay...

The Stillman thing is NOT Atkins, however it helps people to jump start their weight loss and get into ketosis (for those who are very resistant). Here;s the link to what it includes:
Stillman Diet

It's like the extreme atkins...haha.

Oh and my earlier post about cals - ther is not a cal limit...

I really don't think that you're supposed to have butter...

Quote:
You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic, cloves, thyme, other herbs and spices, cocktail sauce, tabasco sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily saucesor dressings. No mayonaise, no salad dressings, no oils, no fats.

Did someone ask about soda? Well this is what is said
Quote:
The eight <10 ounce> glasses of water daily are in addition towhatever coffee, tea and non-caloric carbonated beverages you drink

I would love for anyone to join me (lori)...I weighed myself this morning - 141. I have had two eggs so far....and one glass of water...we'll keep each other modivated

I'm not going to take fat blockers (although that may not be a bad idea), however I am going to take sugar-free citrell and a stacker once a day....

Let's post our food here so we can compare...

Good Luck,
E
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey Erin

I just finished reading your Journal. Staying off the scale I think is a good thing. I weigh myself just 2X a week and kinda average it from there. When I do my meat fast [ Im weaning myself off it tho] which is about once every 2 weeks. I still eat alot of fat. Thanks for the site U posted. I wish U luck however I dont think U should do Stillman's for more than 2 days in a row. LOL Just my opinion tho dear.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 10:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Actually Atkins refers to the 'meat fast' a la Stillman as a 'fad diet' - and butter, if clarified is permitted, I believe.

800 calories is about right - not that there is a limit, but by eating only lean protein (lean means cutting off the fat thus reducing the calories of said steak) you end up not eating much at all. Remember protein is not used for fuel - basically a meat fast ends up starving your metabolism.

This type of diet is a) a diet and b) used to shock the body into releasing water that is stored in your fat cells - its intention is not fat loss. Done too long it will have negative effects on your metabolism. When it was used in the study projects it was followed by calorie boost days for this reason - to ensure your system didnt think "famine".

Keep this in mind. If you're looking for a 'quick fix' you're not going to find it with Stillman - not in the longer term.

Just my 2 cents
Nat
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:30

Default Butter...

I got the butter thing from my link above...I don't know if that's the most relying site...but that's the one someone referred me too before. If I can have butter, I'm more than willing.

I think with the 800 cal thing a misunderstood someone else (I have a habit of doing that ).

Quote:
Done too long it will have negative effects on your metabolism.

How long is too long? Is four days too long? I haven't heard anything about length...I mean wasn't this thread started b/c some dude/chic was eating only meat and water for like 2 weeks?

And I am not looking for a 'quick fix.' I want to do this and then slowly increase carbs (slowly). It kinda like a new beginning plus my appetite is out of control (not hunger) so I like to put it in check.

I understand Nat that you have very strong feelings about diets and health...and I really appreciate the opinions and concerns. I think that in all the threaads I've ever brought up fat fasts or meat fasts you've objected in some way and I thank you for your opinions. I know that sometimes I make dumb decisions/choices, but I really don't feel like this is that outrageous (I know you didn't say that, I just explaining myself). And, I know that the weight will probably creep back up if I don't really keep myself in gear carb wise.

I really don't want you to think that I'm abusing this or anything. I just have been talking about and want to see if I can do it.
If you really think that it's detrimental to my health, I will reconsider. So if the protein is not used for fuel (which you explained to me in an earlier thread) than what happens to it. And won't my fat be used as fuel and therefore give me fat loss as well as water weight?

Quote:
When it was used in the study projects it was followed by calorie boost days for this reason - to ensure your system didnt think "famine".

What study projects? I'd love to read about 'em. So doe sthis mean on Friday I increase my cals (cals of fat?)?

Thanks for the 2 cents...but now I have more questions
E

PS GWilson the 2X a week thing sound like a great idea. I may just try to stay off in general. It's killin' me...lol...I have two scales in my br now...time fore a garage (bathroom) sale.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 14:26

Default I just checked my cals and...

Total: 762 cals
Fat: 32g 292 cals 40%
Sat: 11g 103 cals 14%
Poly: 4g 34 cals 5%
Mono: 12g 111 cals 15%
Carbs: 2g 8 cals 1%
Fiber: 0 0 cals 0%
Protein: 108g 432 cals 59%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Obviously I still have dinner (tilapia) and probably a snack left in me tonight, but it doesn't seem to be all that different from before (before to day that is). If butter is okay, than I'm using it with the tilapia and so everything will even out anyway.

I brought the sf fiber stuff - Benefiber (makes my water tasted like whole wheat bread) so today I've had 6 g of fiber (2 additional carbs to the total above) and I hoping to make it more like 12g-18g today...

E
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:49

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi, I read this thread with interest and your post NAT shed the light on it for me.
I was remembering when sooo many years ago I went on the "original" Atkins diet. It was only eggs and meat/poulty/fish and water basicaly, no salad and you had to go for lean choices
I had no energy I wanted to die. I lost HEAPS in the first week and then no more and began to feel sick as a dog, hence I gave up.
I was hesitant to go low carb again but my experience this time is a complete turn around and it has to be because my protien is adequate I am eating fat and that little bit of carb to keep the brain going
I find that the fat keeps me so satisfied and to have coffee and cream for breakfast can keep me going till lunch and then im ready to eat
If we can enjoy the ride and feel so well and healthy it doesnt need to be a mad panic to get there. Well thats how Im feeling now anyway .
IMO so much study and refining has gone on over the years with the top of these diets and the 'experts' must surely know what they are doing by now so im all for following there advice.
Im not meaning to upset anyone at all but i would hate to see you get fatigued and blow all your hard work by being driven to the cookie tin as I was .
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 15:09

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Me again, I just followed the posted link to the "stillmans diet" and think it may of been the very diet that I was on ions ago. It is the exact same one . I thought it was Atkins and dont have the book anymore (burnt it )
All the other diets that link form that one are totally wako and whats the point of going on something for a couple of weeks when we all need to live with our program forever if we expect success
Now I will butt out ..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg findout.jpg (17.4 KB, 178 views)
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:36

Stats: 214/206/140
BF:
Progress: 11%

Today I had 3 eggs for breakfast. Lunch and dinner I had probably a pound (combined for both meals) ground turkey.

I feel fine. No weird side effects.

I am dying to weigh myself though. I need to see the numbers.

How did your day go guys? Are you getting hungry?

TWO DAYS TO GO!!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 21:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question re meat fast

Hi!
Congrats on taking matters into your own hands. I would like to see what your results are as well.
How is your energy level while not having any carbs?
Good luck.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:27

BF:

My energy level is great. I feel the same as when I am on the regular atkins program.

My only complaint is my breath. It is GROSS!! I am working in very close contact with a group right now and I am terrified to exhale!!! I brush my teeth at work on every break I get but 10 minutes later I get that yuccky tastye in my mouth!
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 08:55

BF:

I forgot to mention 1 thing when I posted my menus. I am eating fat (butter) with my meat and eggs. I am also taking fat blockers (with chitosan sp??) because I know fat is restricted on the meat fat.

If I don't use butter I can't see to get full even if I were to eat a pound of meat in one serving. weird. so I hope the fat blockers are working. I guess I will find out on friday when I weigh in.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 10:19

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Hi LoriL,

Maybe I am missing something, but you are SUPPOSED to eat the butter and other fats because that is what your body is burning for fuel (along with your body fat). The butter and stuff also helps to keep your calories up to 10-12 X your body weight. Eating meat alone will never get you up to the calories needed, so the extra butter, oil, mayo, helps to increase the calories.

Also, anybody correct me if I am wrong (usually am!! ), but I think that fatblockers kind of defeat the purpose, don't they? I don't think you really need them - I have not used fatblockers and have lost 24lbs in 2 months.

One more thing, to reduce the kaka taste in the mouth and yukky breath, drink more water to help flush the junk out of the mouth.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:36

Default upncomer,

See what we're doing is called Stillman's and it's a MEAT FAT...where you only eat lean meats and water...we've decided a littel butter is okay (by the way guys, I used 1 tsp w/ my tilapia the other night ). We are doing this until Thursday...it's pushes the bod into ketisis and flushes excess H20 out of the system.

Hope that helps...
E

Guys, I don' think my meat fast is going okay...alright, I weighed myself - up 1.5lbs. I don't want to scare anyone, so don't get on the scale just b/c I did. I know it's because I'm retaining water- I can feel it, but if I drink anymore water I'm going to become a fish.

About the breath - I'm with you there, but the only person that has to deal is my bf...and he can just deal. I've had the worst morning breath too - yuck! One more day - it really hasn't been so bad...I was thinkin' about stoppin' yesterday, but I had all this meat in my frig and not veggies (I'm leaving for Memphis on Friday) so I didn't want to go grocery shopping so I'm still here
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 22:10

BF:

Made it through another day! YESSSSSS

I still have not weighed myself.

About the breath, I drink a ton of water. I am in training for a new position and as it is I have to leave my training class to use the bathroom 3-4 times aside from lunch and breaks. My trainer even asked me to please wait until breaks to use the bathroom.

embarrasing

At night I get up normally 3 times at night to use the bathroom. I hate this!!!

Even with a ton of water my breath is still gross.

Stay with me Erin!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:47

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Try chewing parsley or take parsley tablets. The 'sweetish" ketone odour comes from the lungs so there's not much to do for that. Except start eating some veggies carbs to lower the level of ketones.

BarB