Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5 ft 9
BF:41%/33%
Progress: 0%
Default Just dont know what to do anymore

I have been on a stall for over 8 weeks now. I use to drink wayyyyy too much diet coke (Diet Rite 0), about 6-8 a day. I cut it down to 2 a day last weekend, which is a BIG accomplishment for me.
I have been on induction for 4 months, so I decided to add more veggies. For 2 days I have eaten about 4- 4 1/2 cups of allowable veggies (asparagus, cauliflower, brocolli, green beans) instead of the 3 cups. Plus, I drink 10-12 glasses of water daily, plus 3 to 4 cups of green tea (no caffene nor sweetner in it).
I weighed this morning and am up 2 pounds, I just cant understand it.
I take hyzarr for my bloodpressure, and synthroid for my thyroid, my doctor says according to my bloodwork each time, my thyroid is working fine, so there shouldnt be any problem with the meds I am taking.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 222/212/180 Male 5'7"
BF:28%/22%/10%
Progress: 24%

The meds are probably hurting you, esp the blood pressure. Read about it in DANDR. I'd cut back all carbs and fats also. Just eat Lean Protein 1g per pound of lean body weight and see if this helps. Some people can't metabolize fat properly.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:50
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Have you taken measurements? I find that I lose weight OR lose inches, not both at the same time. i don't even get on my scale any more, I just use my tape measure and my clothes to tell me where I am at.

The two pound gain could be from anything-probably water. If your cycle is close, that could be it. I always gain 2-3 pounds right before. You might want to check out the thyroid area as well to see if there is any information there that helps. I am also on thyroid meds and I think our weight loss is just slower.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:51

ketojoe, do you mean I should go back to the 20 carb maximum a day? Then eat only like the chicken, fish, and turkey for my meats, and maybe a little extra lean beef? And cut out the butter, mayo, heavy cream in my coffee, etc?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:54

Thanks Sue, I read the thyroid thread and didnt find anything really. I have not lost any inches either. I had a hysterectomy years ago so I dont have to worry about TTOM (THANK GOD LOL) My bloodpressure med has a diauretic in it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:58
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by boree
Thanks Sue, I read the thyroid thread and didnt find anything really. I have not lost any inches either. I had a hysterectomy years ago so I dont have to worry about TTOM (THANK GOD LOL) My bloodpressure med has a diauretic in it.

LOL! Sue Grafton is an author. That is where my sig quote came from. I should make that clearer.

Hmmmm, are you on any hormone replacement for the hysterectomy? I am wondering if that might be the problem as well.

BTW, one time I only lost inches in my wrist. How crazy is that?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:47

LOLOLOL ohhhhhhh, I see..sorry about that LOL
No, I dont take hormone replacements, my doctor and I dont agree on this, but I dont have hot flashes, or nite sweats, and I do take a calcium supplement. I dont like the risks involved with taking the hormones.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 13:49

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Your body may just be taking time to adjust to your weight loss. I've read many threads here and also talked to people personally who've not lost weight for months and then go on to lose large amounts of weight. Scrutinized your diet closely and if it seems to be in good shape and if you're comfortable on it, then just stick with it--the loss will come.

I didn't do that then met a woman that stalled for four or five months then went on to lose 50 more pounds. I'm now back to losing again and plan to stick with it no matter what. Of course I've had to tweak it now and then so I can stay with it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:42

You're right about sticking with it JAnn, no matter how frustrated and anxious I get, I already look and feel better than I have in a LONG time, this will be a WOL for me, thanks for the support.

Connie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 14:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Do you use dairy? Cream, milk cheese? Do you exercise? How much? Your body becomes accustomed to the way you eat and exercise. You might need to give up all dairy, and NO CHEESE! You might need to exercise harder.

I had a stall for 9 months. I have given up some dairy, nuts and CHEESE. No processed foods. I have upped my exercise and begun taking l-carnitine and have begun losing again.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 22:00

Hi Sharon, yes, I use 2 TB heavy cream every morning in my coffee (what would I use, cant stand black coffee, yuck) I eat cheese, tho not a whole lot. I do workout 4 days a week, about 45 min. each day, I go to a place just like Curves, called "Shapes" it's not high impact but you sure get your heart rate up and sweat.
I have been taking L-Carnitine (1500 mg) for about 2 weeks now, I just ordered some more online yesterday along with CoQ10, going to try them both.
Also I have decided to try the M&E fast for 3-5 days starting tomorrow.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 08:02

Well I am telling you that you should give up all cheese and cream. This is something I HAD TO DO! If you don't try it you will not know. You need to weigh it out, cheese and cream or weight loss. It is your decision. I use the LC milk in my coffee instead. It is a lot less calories. You might need to change up your routine at the gym as well. I had to up my exercise a lot. Another thing is I had to up my protein intake too.

If you want suggestions but do not want to try it then you need to accept your weight as it is. I don't mean to offend you but I had a nine month stall and these are the things I had to change. To me, it was worth it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 10:59

Thanks Sharon, for your honesty and bluntness, no I'm not offended at all, sometimes we have to have someone say "%~#! or get off the pot!" you know. LOL
I didnt eat any cheese yesterday evening, nor this morning, and am going to stay away from it for awhile. I just had water this morning instead of coffee, but I have got to find some of the low carb milk you speak of, cause dont want to have another morning without my coffee! LOL
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 11:14

I am glad I did not offend you, I too thought then that I had tried "EVERYTHING" or so I thought in the last nine months until recently. Those are the things I changed and it worked for me. Not to say it will work for you or anyone else but it is worth a shot. Maybe because I am so close to goal, three pounds away that my situation is different. I would be willing to try anything.

The Hoods Low Carb milk is at some grocery stores and at Super Walmarts. I did have to stop eating nuts too if that helps any. I hope things get moving again for you.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 14:07

You know, I dont eat alot of nuts but I do eat about a handful a day of the macadamia/almond mix, will stop that too....I will do anything!! LOL I am going to super walmart and look for that Hoods Low Carb Milk. Thanks!!