Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 00:13

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Don't waste chicken fat - turn it into butter

Quote:
Don't waste chicken fat - turn it into butter

Roast chicken drippings are a superb stock, but can also be whipped up into a super-savoury butter

Forget bacon: chicken fat is enough to make any plant-based eater quiver and consider returning to omnivorous ways. The smell of a chicken roasting is homely and tantalising, and, like all meats, most of the flavour comes straight from the fat.

Fat is a substance that we have come to detest: it’s seen as a route to obesity, as calorific, or just as that goo at the bottom of a roasting pan that’s so hard to clean off. The truth is, we need some fat in our diet, and it’s satiating, too; it also helps our body absorb vitamins A, D and E, and is a source of brain-boosting omega-3 and 6 fatty acids (which we also get from hemp oil, oily fish and pasture-reared animals).

So next time you make roast chicken, treasure the flavourful fat that runs off the bird while it’s cooking. It keeps indefinitely and can be used to replace butter or oil in all kinds of savoury dishes. Or go a step further and whip it into an intense and satisfying umami-rich flavour bomb.

Whipped chicken fat

1 chicken carcass, free-range and organic, if possible
1 bay leaf
60g butter, at room temperature
30ml full-fat cream or milk

Heat the oven to 190C (170C fan)/375F/gas 5. Put the chicken carcass in a roasting tray with a bay leaf underneath. Season with salt and put in the oven.

Roast for 45 minutes. Remove and leave to cool a little, lift the chicken frame to one side (save it for stock or soup), then carefully pour the fat from the roasting tray into a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve, cheesecloth or clean tea towel. Leave to cool to room temperature, then add the butter and the cream or milk. Blend with a whisk on a low speed until it forms soft peaks, then store in the fridge for up to two months.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...g-butter-recipe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 02:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I bet our great-great-grandmothers would be aghast to see that newspapers have to tell us this.

Interesting idea; I never would have thought of making "chicken butter". Heh. The chicken fat I've rendered tends to be soft enough that even out of the fridge, it's about as spreadable as softened butter. But I bet this would be really nice on one of my LC tea biscuits that I make in winter to go with soup.

I love chicken fat. Every time I make broth, I peel the fat off the top of the chilled broth and 'render' it: heat it up in a sauce pan to simmer off the remaining water, cool, pour through a stainless steel coffee filter into a small container. I wouldn't be confident that it lasts "indefinitely", but that's not an issue for me because it gets used within a week.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 16:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Free range is key. TOTALLY different fat than commercial birds. OMG good.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-20, 20:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Back in the day when I still made wheat flour pastry I found that the best fat for pastry was about half butter (for flavor) and half "something else" (for flakiness). My mother, who learned to cook in the 40s & 50s, used margarine or Crisco. I did too initially, but then went to lard (much better!). For awhile, when I didn't have access to good pork fat for lard, I even experimented with chicken fat. It worked quite well, but, while the chicken taste was not overwhelming, I did find that it was best to use this pastry for savory pies. Chicken fat is also a great cooking fat. And, anything said about chicken fat, goes double for duck fat <yum>
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 05:46

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

schmaltz and gribenes will keep your heart happy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 05:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
And, anything said about chicken fat, goes double for duck fat <yum>
I'll see you on duck fat and raise you on goose fat <double yum>
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 11:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi

It has been so long since I roasted a goose that I had forgotten, but, of course, you are quite correct
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 12:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've only had goose a couple of times and I loved it!
Duck I've had many times since it's easier to buy and I found one store that actually has it fresh so I can see what is there, verses the frozen one I bought once that was a complete waste of time because it was just emaciated. So when I want a nice fresh one I go to that store.

I love the golden chicken fat and that's what makes my soup so good!

What else to you ladies use your fats for? I would love some creative ideas if I save some.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 12:56

BF:

Quote:
It has been so long since I roasted a goose that I had forgotten, but, of course, you are quite correct

Luckily for me, I don't need to roast a goose as it's readily available, along with duck fat, to buy fresh in my local supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What else to you ladies use your fats for? I would love some creative ideas if I save some.
I use goose fat for this:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483449

I also used goose fat earlier this week to fry my eggs and bacon. It was amazing
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 13:09

BF:

Good idea using the fat to cook eggs and bacon, and why not, fat is fat and why not use it with all of it's flavor.

I really like your broccoli recipe because it would add just what I like, flavor.
Sometimes in restaurants they want to serve broccoli steamed on a plate with no fat whatsoever and how boring is that I always think, so I really avoid it when out to eat because of that. What I really want to tell them to do is to take it back to the kitchen, cover it with Hot melted "real" butter and try again... I've tried asking for butter at the table and it always comes out cold and by then the half-cooked broccoli is getting cold too, so no chance of melting the butter.

So, that's a perfect use for chicken or goose fat, on the broccoli!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 14:04

BF:

This subject reminded me that, ages ago, I bookmarked a site devoted to goose fat. I haven't looked at it in years, but now that I have found it again perhaps I ought to :-)

http://www.goosefat.co.uk/page/home
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-29-20, 17:21

BF:

Quote:
This subject reminded me that, ages ago, I bookmarked a site devoted to goose fat. I haven't looked at it in years, but now that I have found it again perhaps I ought to :-)

http://www.goosefat.co.uk/page/home

Excellent web-site Verbena.
Thank you!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 00:43

BF:

Quote:
Great site
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-20, 10:25

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Hmm, I've never had goose fat, but my local Fresh Market grocery store does sell duck fat and I love it!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-02-20, 14:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Beyond me why I'd want to do this when the forest around my house is full of perfectly good grubs.