Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-01, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/252/200
BF:
Progress:

Wow. Those are some amazing cooking instructions. It will feel just like camping. I can see I am going to need to get a stove. Unfortunately I had to leave today, and won't be home for about 10 days, so not much chance of trying it out first. The whole thing sounds a lot more complicated than "5-7 min on defrost, then chop steak into bite-size chunks, and cook for 2 min on high". I can't even conceive of being 18 yrs w/out beef...that's long enough to create a person who's old enough to drink! Wow.
Food today wasn't really a problem, I didn't leave home til noon, and then came to Lloydminster which is close to home. Fell back on the old standby of buying burrito's at Taco Time and just using the shells as a plate.
The water was just as inconvenient as I thought it would be though, and I only drove 2 hours. No chance to purchase the unit yet. and it kind of frightens me, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to go there...

Just wanna thank you all for your help and advice so far. The cold-packs I got, although so far unused today have been out of my freezer for over 6 hours, and they're still almost completely stiff. What staying power! The big gallon-jug/cooler I purchased yesterday is awkward to drink from while driving, so I'll have to get me some little cups to pour into. Now all I need is to find a way to entertain myself in Lloydminster, and life will be perfect.

Man do I ever babble on...

Sean
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-01, 18:52
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default hi Sean

I love your observations and analysis .. 18 yrs to create a legal person!! Too kewl .. .. you absolutely MUST remain part of our group and contribute regularly .... I insist!!!!!!

On the "unit" subject (I'm a nurse, by the way) ... here in ONT, the spring brings a special thrill as the snow melts along the 401 (the main highway across southern Ontario) ... pop bottles filled with yellow, dotting the side of the highway. In-car containers are a reality of life for long-distance drivers, and there are in fact devices designed for feminine needs... I respect those folks who are decent enough to dispose of the contents in a sanitary manner. End of topic!!!

I just wanted to say .... we have other members here who've commented on similarities in appearance, and the possibility of long-lost relatives. Well, Sean, I took one look at your avatar pic, and thought ... Holy Smokes, do you ever look like my younger brother!!!!

Too cool

Here's his pic, it's not the greatest (typical web-cam)
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-01, 19:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
OK, your travelling kit should have the little burner, the cooler, a cast iron skillet, some poking/turning utensils, a small cookpot with a lid, a knife/fork/spoon and paper plates. You can also use plastic cutlery and cups to minimise washing up. A metal coffee pot or small kettle for tea and hot water. Extra propane canisters. Small plastic tablecloth if you'll be dining at rest stops, to cover the picnic table. PAPER TOWELS ARE VERY IMPORTANT ALSO.

Mrs. Yogi! You forgot the candles in the Chianti bottles for romantic LC dining in the moonlight!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-01, 20:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your comments doreen..my lifeview tends to be a little skewed off kilter at times...
The unit....I will likely break down and get it, if I want to be serious about LC, the water is intrinsic to the whole situation. So I'll work up my nerve eventually and prolly get one.
I'll invite comments from others as to my similarity to your brother. I am renowned for my lack of perception skills (erm..not well renowned..like on a global basis..but a few people have commented on it). He doesn't look >unlike< me...my heritage is hungarian and norwegian, if you wanna look for a family connection.

Karen, you absolutely flatter me that the opportunity might arise. I think Mrs. Yogi perhaps didn't forget to mention them, but somehow garnered an insight into myself, and the potential that they would be required.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-01, 22:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/304/220
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default bachelor cooking on the road

Zyre, you might do well with a little George Forman kind of grill. I'm a bachelor who lives in a flat with very limited cooking facilities, and this little grill is a very easy way to prepare delicious steaks or chicken breasts. Just plug in the grill; wait for or five minutes to get it nice and hot; then add some seasoned salt to what you are grilling; toss it on; close the lid, and there you go. Steak takes five minutes. Chicken 10. Easy to clean. Just wipe with a paper towel.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-01, 00:05

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

Me too, me too she says raising her hand...

Hi Zyre. Too bad I didn't see your name back in May. We were in Edmonton to visit our friends (we visit at least once a year) and there might have been time to get together. There are a couple of people on this board from Edmonton. Toni, Brenda and the Popes from Cold Lake.

Last year, we purchased a big coolatron and it has to be the best thing since sliced bread. (Low carb of course) It plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car or can be used like a fridge in your room by using an adaptor that came with it. If you are travelling alone, you could keep it on the floor within arms reach to grab some snacks. (Pretest its cooling powers as we have just had to ship ours back to the states as our stuff froze this time!)

I make up sandwiches with low carb bread for the road. Easy to grab with a drink from the 'tron.

At home, I chop up bunches of green onions and various peppers and sometimes tomatoes. Shredded cheese too. You could pack them in zip lock bags so they squish down a bit more. If you had a couple of containers of this sort of thing, you could make yourself a salad or an omlet if you were carrying a small electric frying pan or something. You could do it even in a microwave.

Pre-made hamburger with taco seasonings. If you carried some small cans of sliced olives and had a small container of sour cream, using the salad fixings and some of the onions, peppers, tomatoes and cheese you could make yourself a taco salad, if you like that kind of thing.

Deli roasted chicken. Chop it up with celery, mayo, S&P, curry if you like. Makes a tastey meal or a great sandwich on low carb bread. Keep some in pieces for when you don't feel like a sandwich.

Make up some precooked cheeseburgers and bag 'em.

If someone in your life has a bread machine, make up a couple of loaves of the Gabi's bread and slice it ready to go. This way, you can either make yourself a sandwich, or use a slice or two to make yourself a hotdog or a cheesburger.

Zip bags of celery, radishes, sliced peppers.

Sliced cheddar cheese.

Container of whipping cream.

Brenda Montermurro gave us an excellent recipe for nut granola. We always have some in the house, but when we travel to Edmonton, we always bring some of this along. You can even snack on a couple of tablespoons of it as a snack. It's great by itself as a cereal or over some strawberries and blueberries (premixed at home with Splenda and a touch of the Dr. Atkins syrup) with a little of the cream is certainly better than going to the Mohawk. I thought scrambled eggs and ham was easy, but somehow they manage to ruin it!

There are lots of ways to make this work. I can appreciate that in your type of job, it is not always possible to grab a good meal that works for you.

Soap box time...
I always believe that if you want something to change in your life, you have to do it! If there is one drawback to this diet, it's that so many things have to be made from scratch. But then, ultimately they are so much better for you. You can find some kind of solution that will work for you. You just have to think about it and utilize the resources that are available to you. There has to be a way!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-01, 12:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your further advice and help. The Formean grill is something I will certainly consider, if I can get past my bias about things that are sold on television...

Robin - Lots of excellent advice there...I'll print it out and work on it and choose which things will work for me. One of the drawbacks of my situation though, is that I frequently go out of town without notice...ie, I am expecting a nice quiet day at home, 7:30 the phone rings, and I am out of the house at 7:45, and don't return for a week or more. So anything that requires preparation is dicey. (hmm..that was sort of vaguely punnish)
I'm sure I can take some things from your list and adapt them to that though.

Tks,

Sean