Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 11:55

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Well, this thread is sort of quiet now, but I wanted to wake it up because 2 years ago my GYN suggested Schwarzbein II. I tried it, and being of the Low Carb mindset, I felt it was too high carb for me (ha ha, now).

I thought even 100 g a day was way too high. So, I set out to find a plan that would help me to feel better.

I should mention that for the year before I visited my GYN, I was doing a vegetarian diet. I only lost weight on that when I ate around 950 cal. a day. Who could live on that?

Anyway, all that soy (in an effort to get enough protein) eventually produced too much estrogen in me, and I ended up with uterine polyps. That's when I went to this great GYN.

I also had been working very hard that year, and was extremely stressed out. I was exhausted, dragging myself to do the most minor upkeep of my home, and my period never ended for 70 days. I was in a heap of trouble. (burned out adrenals)

My wonderful GYN gave me all the tests, and started me on Synthroid. I've felt much better because of that!

The main point of why I'm writing in this thread, though, is that in all the time over the last 2 years, I've tried all levels of carbs and low-carb foods and artificial sweeteners, etc. Visiting this forum, I've found it very easy to get sucked into the very low carb way of thinking.

And now, after all is said and done, I've come back to Schwarzbein! It is the most 'peaceful' plan, natural, gentle and effective way of living I have found.

I investigated the Low GI plan, too, and incorporated that into my way of thinking as well, and now that I've read "The Program" by Schwarzbein, I am totally convinced that her plan is the way to go for me. Even she recommends the low GI fruits for healing, and whole grains, if you're not gluten intolerant.

I've been maintaining my weight over the last 6 months, but I have learned, through trial and error, that I feel the healthiest eating around 100 g of carbs a day, and limiting my protein (unlike Atkins, for example). I was again amazed by the quantity of protein I actually need, far less than the 100g or so I thought I needed!

I want to say I feel the best I have felt in 2 years! I am now going through perimenopause, and I can say unequivocally that if I had not found this plan, I would definitely be in worse shape.

I would love to go on and on, but I just wanted to encourage anyone who is thinking of giving up because they are not seeing fast results, to just give it time.

I have lost my compulsion for overeating sweets! I never thought I'd say that! I feel so well, I can't describe the feeling of inner healing that I feel.

As far as exercise goes, I try to walk my dog every day. I was going on the elliptical trainer so often for a while, I always felt exhausted. Now I've cut it down to 2-3 times a week. And added in some weight lifting. I love that I don't have to kill myself to gain health!

So, here is my vote for the program. I may weigh about the same as I did 2 years ago, but after all is said and done (and I've tried it all, that's for sure) this is the one program that makes the most sense for a lifetime of living healthy.

My father always said, "Everything in moderation." Too bad it took me 52 years to learn it for myself. But at least, with Schwarzbein's help, I did!

BTW, I don't eat a lot of butter (hardly any), but I do use 1 T of cream in my 1/4 caf coffee every morning. I'm in the process of checking out non-hydrogenated margarine as a spread. I would be happy to let you know what I find.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links