Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 14:18

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default exercise program

have been reading a lot about exercise/ weight training, and have come to the conclusion that i need to do some weight training. i have some fear because by nature i am muscle dense. i can weight 125, and be in a size 4. here is one of the reasons i am going to start weight training:
(from runner's magazine)
"Dramatic proof comes from a recent study at West Virginia University, where two groups of subjects were put on highly restricted diets. One group followed a strength-training program, while the other did aerobic exercise.
after 12 weeks, both groups had lost a similar amount of weight, but the aerobic exercisers lost some muscle in the bargain. Consequently their resting metabolic rates also declined. in contrast, the strength-trained subjects lost no muscle, and were able to maintain their resting metabolic rate throughout the study period."
i think it's worth a try. so i will start today.
questions to anyone who knows:
what's the best way NOT to bulk up. my muscles are large under the layer of fat, i don't want to get any bigger in arms or thighs.?
do i alternate days of running/strength training?
what amount of time am i to train?
i'm sure there will be more, but for now, i am off to the work out room.
thanks
brenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 22:08

Default day one

alright.... i did it. now i don't feel as "muscle bound" as i thought i was. here goes....
shoulder press sets: 3
reps: 20
weight: 10 lbs

leg extensions sets: 3
weight: 20 lbs

chest press sets: 3

leg curl sets: 3

dumbbell curl sets: 3
(free weights) reps: 20

tricep pull sets: 3
weight: 20 lbs

calf lift sets: 3
weight: 100 lbs

arm curl sets: 3
reps: 10

ab crunches sets: 3
reps: 8

ab crunches sets: 3
(legs up) reps: 8
i feel really good tonight, i figured it was better to start small and increase instead of over doing it the first day.
anyone know how often i should strength train/ run? everyday or what?
thanks
brenda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 15:59

still not sure how and when, but i had the time today, so this is what i did.
4 mile on the treadmill.(45 min) includes warm up and cool down
sets reps weight
shoulder press 3 20 10
leg extension 3 20 20
chest press 3 20 10
leg curl 3 20 10
dumbell curl 2 10 10
tricep pull down 3 20 20
calf lift 3 20 90
arm curl 2 10 10
abs(crunches) 3 10
abs (crunches, legs up) 3 10

feeling great.
brenda
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 18:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey there Brenda, good to see you keeping one of these I'm sure Dan or Fern will be along shortly with some of the information you're looking for, until then I'll suggest that you take two days off between working each muscle group. Your muscles need 48 hours to recover after a workout; it's best to work one area then the next day forcus on a different one. It's also a good idea to eat some protein within 45 minutes of working out (afteward). A protein shake or a hard boiled egg.

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 22:50

hey nat - thanks for the information starting a strength training program had a lot to do with YOUR example and your advise. thanks!
i really don't know what to do. some articles say 24 hours, some say48, and then you hear of people working it everyday. if i'm waiting a day between then should i be doing more when i'm working that group? and i can't really do that many crunches (thought i could ) so it would be like a 45 second work out. plus, where does running fit in to all of this?
i really am grateful for your input, and i seem to express this by more questions, go figure!
brenda
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 05:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default hi Brenda

I'm just embarking on a strength/fitness program too.. .. so I've been doing some searches through the Exercise & CKD forum. Our very own Trainderdan has posted some great info about getting started, and also his recommendations for resting muscle groups between workouts, alternating cardio & weights, etcMaybe there's something helpful for you, I know I'm finding them useful for getting me started on the right foot (or left foot, whatever )

Keep up the great start!

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 08:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by itsjoyful
if i'm waiting a day between then should i be doing more when i'm working that group? and i can't really do that many crunches (thought i could ) so it would be like a 45 second work out. plus, where does running fit in to all of this?

Take a look at those links Doreen provided, they're great. Also, check out Fern's post about A.M. Cardio on an empty stomach for info on when to do that running. Obviously the morning on an empty stomach is best but if you cant right after working the muscles is good too (as you've depleted glycogen stores).

I've found that by limiting my workouts to every 3 days I can focus much more on what I'm doing when I do do it. With crunches as with all exercises form is more important than quantity. I was going my crunches way too fast and not feeling it, by focusing on the muscles, tightening them and then doing the exercise I found a huge difference. Rest between sets for as much as 2 minutes. I typically do my set of crunches, rest then do a set of reverse crunches, then rest, then do a second set of crunches. It will take longer than 45 seconds this way and you will definitely feel it

HTH
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 11:32

Default praise

i hope ya'll know how much you are appreciated and respected. i could not be doing this woe if i didn't have ya'll.
i read (& printed) the links you gave me.
i'm taking the day off to make a work out schedule. think i might look into a kickboxing class?!
brenda
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 21:08

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Re: praise

Quote:
think i might look into a kickboxing class?!
brenda

I took one of these a few years ago and loved it although I tried a Tae-Bo tape and did not like it! go figure!!! The class was fun though and quite a workout!
Do and Nat provided you with all GREAT info. Just wanted to jump in so you didn't think I was ignoring your journal.... I haven't been on the computer much lately! Just wanted to stress to give your muscles at least 48 hrs of rest before working them again! If you feel comfy lifting all muscles in one day, be sure to take the full 48 hrs or you could maybe think of splitting into muscle groups: one day chest and back, one day arms and shoulders, one day legs. Experiment and see what works for you!

Best of luck--you're doing GREAT so far!!!
Linda
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 12:41

Default workin' out

today, i did not wake up early as planned, but i got S & J to school, came home, put a movie in for M (marykate & ashley) and did 40 min. on the treadmill. i am going to try to do weights tonight or this evening when the girls go to their dad's for the night. i think i'm going to do it all since time is such a big issue.
p.s. - i keep gaining, but i look better. i'm going to ditch the scale, i hate that stupid thing.

fern - thanks for looking. kickboxing really appeals to me because i think there is a self defense/ confidence thing going on there. the only problem is cost right now. i'm going to research more.
question why the 48 hr. wait? everyone keeps saying rest, but not qualifying the statement. just curious.
thanks again. i need all the support i can get.
bren
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:20

Default con't.....

so, i rollerbladed for about 45 min. took the really long way to pick up J. oh, yea this was pushing the stroller, too.
walked 1 1/2 miles to pick up S.
did full weights, too. as follows:
shoulder press:...sets: 2 reps: 20 weight: 10
............................sets: 1 reps: 15 weight: 20
leg extension: sets: 2 reps: 20 weight: 20
.............................sets: 1 reps: 15 weight: 30
chest press:......... " 2 " 20 " : 10
.......................................1 .............20............20
leg curl............................2..............20............10
dumbell curl.....................3...............10...........10
tricep pull........................2..............20.............20
calf lift.............................3..............20..........100
arm lift (dumbells) 3 20 10
lat pull down ..................3.............20.............30
abs(crunches).................3.............10.............
feeling tired today, a bit of an upset stomach, so maybe i'll rest today.
brenda
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:47

BF:
Default Re: workin' out

Quote:
why the 48 hr. wait? everyone keeps saying rest, but not qualifying the statement.

Voila

Quote:
Not providing your muscles with enough rest will often prevent you from making improvements. Training the wrong muscle groups on consecutive days will also counteract your good results. Doing too many sets and exercises per muscle group will also cause overtraining.

Remember that weightlifting, produces tissue microtrauma, those tiny tears in the muscles that temporarily decrease strength and cause varying degrees of muscle soreness. It is absolutely necessary to provide ample rest time between successive training sessions. Muscles generally require about 48 hours for the resting and rebuilding process before you work them again .

Remember: always allow your muscles a chance to grow, especially when you are feeling overtrained. If needed, give yourself an extra day off to grow. Never feel guilty about skipping a workout . That extra rest could be exactly what your body needs.

Thanks for asking, Brenda, I found some great links with this one

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:53

WOW Nat -
that is EXACTLY what i needed to hear. i think my inpatients is being tested, but that's not a bad thing. once again, i must add....you rock
a million thank you's.
bren
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Cool

Hey Brenda,

You kinda rock yerself .. I just love your new signature quotation --- "do one thing every day that scares you."
- anonymous

Thanks for inspiring me today

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
You kinda rock yerself .. I just love your new signature quotation --- "do one thing every day that scares you."
- anonymous

This reminds me of that "Wear Sunscreen" song/poem (which I do of course)

We all rock, dammit!

Nat