Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-18, 05:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

FB video on cholesterol by Dr. Westman. https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...hc_location=ufi

And a new talk earlier this year by Dr. David Diamond: https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-da...vrr5O6Dup0O-6vc

But on that new CVrisk Calculator, true...they no longer include LDL but just about any man over 62 and woman over 70 is swept up into the new lower risk % of "Need a Statin". https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryh...#25 3220a61f3b

It was ridiculous...so my DH and I had the CAC done (see thread below on that) and that has shut-up both our doctors ever since.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 06:46

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Reading Ivor Cummins' 2018 book Eat Rich, Live Long: Mastering the Low-Carb Keto Spectrum for Weight Loss and Longevity, and finishing the cholesterol chapter, I finally dug out my labs to figure out my ratios using these sties:

Cholesterol HDL, LDL, Triglycerides Ratio Calculator

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.80 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.272 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) AT RISK
Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.612 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Cholesterol Ratio Calculator

Chol/HLDratio 4.8
trig/HDLratio 0.653
LDL/HDL ratio 3.67

Ivor says the trig/HDL ratio is the best for assessing real risk (page 257):

Recent recommendations say that the value should ideally be below 2.0 Based on the science, the clear mechanisms at work, and all of the published risk data, we would aim lower: below 1.2, or even below 1.0.

My total cholesterol and LDL went very high, but my HDL was the highest in 3 years ( 2016: 73, 2017: 81, 2018: 98 ). My triglycerides also was the lowest yet ( 2016: 69, 2017: 119, 2018: 60 ).

For the November 2018 labs, I was LCHF since March 30 2018, so a little more than 8 months.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-19, 03:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ivor is in line with many of the low carb doctors/ cholesterol skeptics that Trig/HDL is the key ratio. There are quotes from Dr Westman's Cholesterol Clarity book throughout this sub-forum, you are well below his ideal ratio of 1 with a stellar HDL. Post #9 in this thread. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471974

With the brand new AHA guidelines and more emphasis on the CAC from the Cardiologist powers that be, I’d put more weight on that test than a lipid panel. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481571

I was looking for a new Risk Calculator yesterday, could not find one. The new guidelines, but the risk calculator link is still the 2013 one. https://professional.heart.org/prof...t-Guideline.jsp

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-08-19 at 03:12.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-19, 11:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

s93, I agree with Janet's assessment of your numbers. There are many who needlessly worry about lipid numbers when there is still so much we must learn and many who, based on new facts, believe that lipid panels are weak markers of heart disease risk. Much of the new research shows that those with LDL numbers on the high side have fewer incidents of heart disease, particularly as we get older. It's starting to get broader attention, but there will always be those who believe in the LDL "bad cholesterol" gospel as we continue to learn more. I believe your numbers indicate a healthy individual, and I have similar lipid ratios that certain doctors who are low carb/keto-aware have indicated are firmly in the healthy range.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-19, 12:23

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Thanks Janet, Rob. I got scared when I kept getting calls from my docs nurse to hurry in for a retest and that my numbers were high. I ignored them, and drove in to get my lab print out (actually got the latest and two prior), and was pretty flabbergasted when I saw my total chol. and LDL.

Fast forward to the other day when reading and finally looking up my ratios - I feel fine, and don't regret stopping my statins 04-19-18.

#111   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-19, 13:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The ideal situation is to find/work with a doctor who is aware of a typical low carb/keto lipid profile and can be a sounding board for you going forward. A few of us have realized that lipid numbers tend to go higher when one is still in active weight loss mode. When this happened to me a few years ago, my Triglycerides remained very low and my HDL was in a very healthy range, so the ratio was low as well. When considering statins, there are other heart health history variables that must be considered. As you continue to get lipid tests, having a knowledgeable person assess the results is always beneficial. I've tried to learn much about lipids, but I'm no medical authority. However, I did stay one time at a Holiday Inn Express . . . .