Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Doctor Visit

View Article Article tools
  #16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 18:07

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
The entire Medicare Part D plan was written for the Republican Congress by the pharmaceutical companies. And, YES, if you are living on a fixed income, and you are on Medicare, it's pretty bad.

One of the provisions of that plan is that there will be no discounting of medications: so people, and Medicare, are paying full price for meds that might be 90% less expensive in other countries, because those other countries DO get discounts from those same pharmaceutical companies.

If you can't discount, you are going to hit the donut hole much faster. Many people are on a number of expensive meds.

Let's say you are a 75 year old person, and the retail price (which is what is charged for your meds) on a monthly basis is $1000. That is NOT hard to hit at retail: a 30 day supply of a med I had ordered for pain after a car accident was, all by itself, $250.

Let's also say that your Social Security payments are $1200 monthly. Not at all an uncommon amount--many get less. So, suddenly, from your $1200 a month, you now have to pay $450 for medication, bringing you a total of $750 a month for everything else.

It's a bad plan. Written, quite frankly, by bad people.

Well, okay. I wasn't trying to disparage anyone's difficulties with the plan. I was genuinely curious. And as a Republican, I would definitely support additional subsidies for people who genuinely cannot afford their medications.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-16, 20:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

If it had been the Dems who let the industry that would benefit from a terrible provision in the law write that law, I would have been just as disgusted. I paid attention when the law was being written, and was upset at the time, even though it was 10 years before I needed to think about Medicare.

Knowing the history can help, because on the surface, the hole isn't TOO bad. But I also remember standing in line behind a lady at the pharmacy, when she was told that her "Medicare covered" prescriptions would cost her $1200. And this poor lady started crying.

We need a much better social network in this country, and we should be ashamed, as such a wealthy country, that we have such an abysmal one.

Article tools