Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 12:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Body Fat Impact of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

Wednesday January 23

Press Release

SOURCE: Natural, Inc.

Journal of International Medical Research Features Study on Body Fat Impact of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)

Fifth Study in 18 months Confirms Body Fat Activity of CLA in Humans

VERNON HILLS, Ill., Jan. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- A recent article published in The Journal of International Medical Research (JIMR) (2001:29:392-396) features a study presented by Scandinavian Clinical Research AS (SCR), of Kjeller, Norway, demonstrating that conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat in humans. This is the fifth peer-reviewed article addressing CLA's body fat reduction properties to be published in refereed medical journals over the last one and a half years.

``Body fat, measured using near infrared light, was significantly reduced in the group taking CLA during the study,'' said Dr. Ola Gudmundsen, PhD, CEO of Scandinavian Clinical Research, and a co-author of the study. ``This study shows those participants who ingested 1.8 grams of CLA per day experienced body fat reduction versus the placebo group. These results confirm a trend seen in several recent CLA studies and suggest the need for the continued study of CLA and its impact on humans.''

Conjugated linoleic acid is the common name of a group of fatty acids found in the past in dairy products and meat. Over the last 50 years, changes in livestock development practices have largely removed naturally occurring CLA from our diets. However, in several recent studies, CLA has received considerable attention due to its apparent metabolic and chemoprotective properties in animals, as well as some similar, initial results in humans. The effects include reduced body fat content, improved serum lipid profiles, decreased aortic lipid deposition, and enhanced glucose metabolism.

``This recently published study in the JIMR on the properties of CLA continues to demonstrate that CLA prevents fat from being deposited into the body,'' said Dr. Delbert Dorscheid, MD, PhD, University of British Columbia. ``As it reduces body fat, it increases lean tissue. This action indirectly boosts a human's metabolism as lean tissue burns more calories than fatty tissue.''

Dr. Gudmundsen further indicated that while the observations recorded in the Scandinavian Clinical Research report are in accordance with other recent CLA study results, the effect obtained in this Norwegian work is much more pronounced than that previously reported.

The study utilized 20 volunteers, aged 18 to 30 years, and utilized a randomized, double blind approach with two concurrently observed parallel groups. Participants were recruited from a physical fitness center where they participated in regular physical training consisting of 90 minutes of strenuous exercise, three times a week. Volunteers were directed not to change their diet or lifestyle during the study. The study was conducted according to the current Declaration of Helsinki, Good Clinical Practice and local health regulations.

Previously, a University of Wisconsin study concluded that subjects that stopped dieting and exercising regained less fat and retained more muscle mass when taking CLA versus those who had not. Another study published in The Journal of Nutrition found that without change in exercise or eating habits, an average reduction of six pounds of body fat occurred in subjects taking CLA, compared to a placebo group. Last year, a study that appeared in The International Journal of Obesity (Volume 25, Issue 8, August 2001) showed that male subjects classified as abdominally obese lost an average of one inch from their waistlines in a four-week period, when using CLA. Finally, a study that was published in Lipids (August 2001) found that of 53 patients, those taking CLA over the course of a 14 week trial experienced body fat reductions of 3.8 percent.

The CLA used in these studies was Tonalin®, manufactured by Natural, Inc. Additional human studies on the body fat reduction aspects of CLA are underway and anticipated in the next year.

American Chemical Society, August 20, 2000

The Journal of Nutrition (Volume 130, #12, 2000)

International Journal of Obesity (Volume 25, Issue 8, August 2001)

Lipids (Volume 36, Number 8, August 2001)

SOURCE: Natural, Inc.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020123/dcw015_1.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 13:34

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up

Woohoo! Pass me another pork chop, please. When they say,

"Over the last 50 years, changes in livestock development practices have largely removed naturally occurring CLA from our diets."

I wonder if they are referrring to meat being bred leaner and leaner. If we eat the fattier portions maybe we'll get some?

I think I'll head back to the natural food store and add this one to the ever-growing pile of supplements I take. 1.8 grams sounds like a lot though. Most supplements are measured in milligrams or micrograms. Just another occasion to drink lots of water I guess.

Thanks for the info Wa'il!

Allison
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally posted by allisonm
I wonder if they are referrring to meat being bred leaner and leaner. If we eat the fattier portions maybe we'll get some?

I think what's being referred to is that modern domestic food animals are largely fed sorghum and grain (probably wheat?), ground-up cow or other meat with a mineral lick. I don't believe that any of that stuff is natural to their diets. Because of all the "fattening", a domestic cow has about 7x more saturated fat and 5x less polyunsaturated fat than wild game.

I just wish free-range and organic meats were more available/less expensive
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 17:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by surlymel

I think what's being referred to is that modern domestic food animals are largely fed sorghum and grain (probably wheat?), ground-up cow or other meat with a mineral lick. I don't believe that any of that stuff is natural to their diets. Because of all the "fattening", a domestic cow has about 7x more saturated fat and 5x less polyunsaturated fat than wild game.
hi surlymel,

Yes, that's exactly it. The fatty acid profile of modern livestock bears little resemblance to that of 50 years ago. Stored hay and corn are the chief feed crops around here, supplemented with pelletized soy. It affects the quality of milk in dairy herds too. Even egg producers are recognizing the improved fatty acid content in eggs when chickens are fed more vegetable matter, seeds and oil seeds (esp flax) instead of corn.

Heck, I won't even buy wild bird seed for the sparrows that squabble over my feeder if there's corn in it.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/262/165 Male 5' 10"
BF:35
Progress: 0%
Default The real question

How does taking CLA affect someone on a low carb diet?

There is a certain amount of fat we are supposed to intake correct? If CLA prevents aborbtion is this a good thing. Wouldn't CLA be something we take AFTER getting off the low carb diet and want to reduce fat intake?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Funny..I was about to post the same article

I was just about to post the same article. I found it in Taste for Life...a free magazine they hand out at my favorite Health Food Store. Could it be that the Medical profession is starting to see our side of things? Maybe this will improve the quality of our red meat. I agree that free range meat is very expensive and hard to find around here but if it will help me reduce fat, ward of heart disease and some cancers it's worth it. I don't know about taking CLA supplements, I already take a handful everyday. I would rather get CLA naturally in my food.
Signed,
Carla