Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 16:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default The Gluten File

I just wanted to share this link. It is tons of research about gluten (wheat) causing diseases that people on a message forum have been putting together for years. The forum where it originated is down but The Gluten File lives on!

The Gluten File
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-12-06, 17:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Thanks for the link, Nancy, it is very informative!

My father has peripheral neuropathy complete with high-stepping gate & Dupuytren's contracture in his fingers, yet none of his doctors ever suggested he be tested for celiac disease much less that gluten sensitivity alone can cause them. And my mother has had severe RA since the age of 40. Now I wonder if my sister's "sciatica" (that nothing has worked for) isn't really one of these other pains in the butt/leg related to gluten intolerance.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 07:37

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Now I wonder if my sister's "sciatica" (that nothing has worked for) isn't really one of these other pains in the butt/leg related to gluten intolerance.

My mom suffered from that, too. I had her start taking Vitamin D (about 2000 IU a day - which wasn't enough, IMO, but she wouldn't take more). This helped quite a bit.

She finally went gluten free about a month ago and that seemed to clear up the rest of the pain.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 08:00
Experimenter

BF:

Both of my parents started to get something called Purpura, which is a terrible type of bruising that is basically caused by blood vessels leaking. It didn't start until their 70's (I think). But I've read where it is linked to gluten sensitivity too, in the Gluten File.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 13:26
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks Nancy, I'll be going through this.

I'm thinking I may actually be celiac, based on a skin condition I used to have very severely (still get, but now much less) that looks and sounds an awful lot like dermatitis herpetiformis (sp?). Small watery blisters that itch and burn, red itchy bumps everywhere (in my case). Also been getting scabs/burny & itchy patches on my scalp a few days after eating wheat. Had some at my mum's BD dinner, just a little bit, and now my scalp is driving me nuts. Together with other symptoms, plus symptoms in members of my family, I'm thinking this is the problem, and why I was so insane about things like crackers, bread and pasta.

I am not ever eating wheat again.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-15-06, 13:37
Experimenter

BF:

Ah! Very interesting observation. It might also be ezcema. I think DH is diagnosed by a dermatologist when they take a little biopsy of it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 10:20
Dazilous

BF:

I was diagnosed two different ways by two different derms - one said scabies (!!!) and one said, and I quote, "stress exema". Stress exema guy barely looked at me, let alone my rash. Didn't study it at all. I got a glance.

It eventually died down once I'd been home from the dorm several months, but I still get little flare-ups - localized blisters, maybe one or two now and then on my fingers, or raised bumps that actually now look more like small hives on the inside of my arm or back of my leg, mainly. I don't know what's up with my scalp, as I've never even had dandruff before. The scalp thing has been since I started LCing, and I've only noticed it after I've eaten off-plan.

Who knows? I may save up for an Enterolab test, just to see. The amount of headaches/migraines, neural tube defects, osteoporosis, seizures etc in my family is making me really wonder.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 11:06
Experimenter

BF:

Did they biopsy it?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 12:23
Experimenter

BF:

I subscribed to "Scott Free" a celiac newsletter and read something by Dr. Scot Lewey that was interesting. He's a gastro practicing in Colorado that specializes in food intolerances, celiac, IBS and so on. So if anyone lives there you might want to see him!

His web site: thefooddoc.com
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert_bio=Dr._Scot_Lewey
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 14:42
Dazilous

BF:

Nancy - no biopsy. The guy didn't even touch me. Said "stress exema" and prescribed some sort of cream that did nothing.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 15:24
Experimenter

BF:

I was just reading in the Scott Free edition about chronic broncitis and gluten sensitivity. Very interesting, my Mom has had that since her 40's.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 17:46

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I was just reading in the Scott Free edition about chronic broncitis and gluten sensitivity.

Link please? Of if its mailed, let me know and I'll pm you my email address.

I used to get bronchitis a minimum of 3 times a year until I went low carb. It went away even before I went mostly gluten free. I'd love to see the data.

I still have a little trouble staying away from the occasional treat. If only it would give me obvious symptoms like cassein and soy!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 18:24
Experimenter

BF:

PM me your address You'll love this article.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 07:36
Dazilous

BF:

The bronchitis thing is interesting - a friend of mine with Crohn's also has it.

Nancy - in your opinion, would the Enterolab stool test alone (the $99 one) be enough?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

I think so, although some people don't produce IgA, I think. Does the 99.00 one also check Ttg? Hmmmm... Although it was probably good I found out about my casein intolerance too.

He mentioned in his lecture they're going to have some test that'll test for a butt load of food intolerances at once. But they might still be a ways off from having that. And I have no idea how much it'll cost. I will have that one done too.