Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 17:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 60/60/54 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Diet Drinks

Hi Everyone, I've got a question that I'm hoping somebody can answer...I'm on my 4th day of induction and am wondering if the Golden Circle diet drinks with splenda are okay to have during induction? They have 5% fruit juice in them which is why I'm not sure and have about 2g carbs per can...I have had diet coke for the past 2 days but seeing as it's made with nutrasweet and contains caffeine i know it should be avoided.

Also, I haven't lost any weight yet and am feeling pretty crap (headaches, lethargic, v. moody)...is that normal?

Thanks for your help...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 17:30

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

golden cirlce are fine, i find them way too sweet so i dilute using mineral water. however, don't use them as a subsitute for water. if you haven't lost any weight yet, then aviad everything but clean food for the 2 week induction. it is to kick start the loss so it's best to be as clean as you can.

yes to the second question about feeling crap, it is likely caffeine withdrawal and part of the deal when your body switches over to ketosis. drink LOTS of water, i cannot stress this enough. try for 3 litres a day.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 17:40
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

It took about six weeks before I started to feel normal. I think it depends on the level of carb intake in your previous life (before Atkins). In my case I had a very high (complex) carbohydrate diet and had given up all dairy products so for me the switch was a real shock. I even had to take a nap every afternoon for about a month! I feel great now tho'.
Also the first couple of days on Atkins don't really show results because it takes a day or two to get into ketosis.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 16:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

I felt REALLY bad for about a week - headaches, extreme hunger etc - but just remember that it does pass!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 16:58

Stats: 213.4/211.2/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi

My first post here

I had bad headaches and lethargy for the first week of no coffee. This was actually before I started Induction. Ok, I probably drank too much coffee!! however I'm feeling much better now. I'm finding it hard to get used to though.

Margo
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 17:13

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 192/167/155 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 68%

I felt horrible my first 3 days. I think i actually dreamed about bagels and pizza each night. My advice is to work out..i started going every night of the week to the gym and i now can get up at 6. a.m with no problems at all. I'm not sure if the weight loss is due to less carbs or working out..maybe it's the combo
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 20:02

Stats: 60/60/54 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys, good to know you felt that way too and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Y/day I just wanted to quit...I was tortured by thoughts of chocolate all day and was so close to getting some but thankfully i came to my senses. And I'm so glad i did because today i feel great! Day5 and I'm not hungry, my cravings are under control (I'd still love some chocolate but i'm not thinking about it all day and i'm not tempted to go and get some) and no headache. I have energy too!! Thanks for all the tips. This is such a great forum
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 01:34

Plan: Induction
Stats: 63/55/50 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi there,

If you are having cravings for chocolate (like I did) try the Darrell Lea Chocolate & Macadamia nuts chocolates.

They are pretty similar to the real thing. Low in carbs and No Sugar. It got me through the bad patch - now I rarely crave chocolate at all.

Hope this helps.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 17:42

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

just a reminder incase any newbies are reading, no chocolate low carb or otherwise is ok on induction. after you have finished induction, maybe every now and again, but they can stall and you can get a laxative effect.