Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 205/175/170
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Formerly Go-Diet, now the Four Corners Diet

Anyone remember the Go-Diet?

This was the diet that among other things, explained the benefits of low carb dieting, and made yogurt an important part of it, explaining why all the carbs in yogurt didn't have to be counted.

Well, the authors have finally revised their self-published book, have a big-name publisher, Marlowe Bros. and have retitled their book as the Four Corners Diet.

I really loved the Go-Diet, but the book was not well-written and not well organized, and certain parts of it were hard to follow. Now that the book has been revised and re-written, it's easy to understand and follow. I've always loved this diet and felt the healthiest when I was on it.

The Four Corners Diet stands on four legs:

1. Low Carb

2. High monounsaturates

3. High fiber

4. Use of "pharmafoods" like yogurt, nuts, veggies, etc.

For your information it's written by Dr. Jack Goldberg.

I really love this eating plan. I've been on many eating plans but felt healthiest on this one. The book just came out. Anyone else read it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hadn't even heard of it. Thank you for the news and explanation.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 23:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

I looked at the Go diet briefly - largely because I would really like to believe his discounting of yoghurt carbs. sadly no one else seems to agree with him on this point.

Malcolm
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 05:15
Registered Member

BF:

Actually, if you go on other forums, particularly the popular Atkinsfriends forum, you'll find a LOT of folks eat yogurt, feels it helps with weight loss and health in general and DO agree with him.

I myself quickened my weight loss when I added daily yogurt to my diet which was already low carb.

I also suggest the lowcarbluxury site, which explains the science behind yogurt carb counting.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 07:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Don't get me wrong, I love yoghurt - and still eat it, particularly the thick creamy greek kind - and I also make my own (its very easy) - but I now count all the carbs.

Yep I have seen the lowcarb luxury site, but unfortunately just about everybody else says they are wrong;

If you want the bad news check out this thread;

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138905

,,,but then again if what you are doing works, then don't bother, lol.

Malcolm
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 15:35
Registered Member

BF:

Well I appreciate your input and know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the yogurt situation.

I did read the link you mentioned and I'd say I'm much more inclined to believe the theory behind the Four Corners Diet, by Jack Goldberg who is a scientist. It's explained in his book.

That said, I did read on the official Atkins site that they don't believe the yogurt/carb thing either! (archives on www.atkins.com)

That said, it works for me, and I am so impressed with the health benefits I've received, I'll never stop eating it!

You mentioned Greek yogurt, I keep seeing it in Trader Joe's and will have to go there one day and try it. I've heard great feedback from others who eat greek yogurt. I've also heard it's lower in carbs than regular yogurt. Is this true?

If you are a yogurt freak like I am (I can't help it, I just love the stuff!), you might want to check out a book called Superfoods RX by Dr. Steven Pratt. There's a whole chapter devoted to the health benefits of yogurt!

Anyway, thanks for your input; it's always good to hear other's point of view. I guess we just all need to do what works for us! Take care.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 16:51
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

While at Trader Joe's, take a look at their cottage cheese (is it the Cabot brand? I'm not sure). It's fairly low in carbs but has the same active bacteria as yogurt, and it's absolutely delicious!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 18:36
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Rose!

I also once bought Trader Joe's yogurt hard cheese (it had active cultures and actually sliced like regular cheddar type cheese), but I didn't like the taste at all, and would much rather just eat yogurt.

I do make soft yogurt cheese by draining it in a special yogurt cheese maker. It's a great substitute for cream cheese, etc.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 23:34

Stats: 153/149/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 15%

what kind of yogurt, other than greek, do you buy? I tried the Dannon Low-Carb and had to throw it out...I hated the taste. I think I just don't like the taste of splenda, and to me the yogurt tastes like a spoonful of splenda.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:18
Registered Member

BF:

Jill, I sometimes do eat the Dannon low carb yogurts, but I agree they are too sweet; they could cut the splenda in half and it would still be a sweet yogurt.

Mainly, I use the Dannon full fat plain yogurt. It's very good. It's labeled as Dannon Natural Yogurt. Sometimes I also buy Dannon nonfat yogurt, but it's not as rich, of course. I also go to Whole Foods Market and use Brown Cow yogurt, a very rich whole milk yogurt that actually has cream on the top. It is wonderful.

I have yet to try the greek yogurt everyone talks about, but I'm going to Trader Joe's this weekend to purchase it.

I subtract 1 gram of carb for every ounce of yogurt and use that final carb count. For example if a cup of yogurt has 12 g. carb I subtract 8 grams to arrive at 4 grams net carbs. This is recommended by Dr. Jack Goldberg in the Four Corners diet, but be aware, not everyone agrees with this premise. However it works for me and never halted my weight loss.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:56

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

This is interesting. I will check into the Four Corners Diet. I love yogurt.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

The greek yogurt is mindblowingly wonderful. It is less runny than what we now, mainly cause it is dehydrated a bit (I am no chemist so this may sound funny). It is creamy and tastes best with a bit of honey and walnuts. Or fruit. Enjoy, you won't be able to think about yogurt the same way!!!

B.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 11:12

Stats: 153/149/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks for all yogurt brand advice. My Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are next to eachother, so I know where I am going later today.

Spirit, I tried to find the yogurt article on the Atkins site, but I cannot locate it. Could you pleases direct me there. Thanks...jill
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:16

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

We Canadians dont have a trader joes,,,or the Greek Yogurt that im aware of,

I too am thinking alot of trying go diet,,,,

Whoever is on go,,,please give me some idea of what your eating,

Im not losing on Atkins,and maybe I need more carbs, and I do miss my fruit, It does sound healthier to me.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 15:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Stallqueen, you should have no trouble finding Greek yogurt in TO. You just have to dig past all the low fat/fat free/fruit bottom stuff. It's also known as Balkan style.

Here is the forum's blurb on the GO diet.