Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 06:40

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default The Atkins diet is back... and this time it lets you eat bread and pasta

Quote:
The Atkins diet is back... and this time it lets you eat bread and pasta

By Daniel Bates
Last updated at 11:05 AM on 03rd September 2008

A few years ago, we couldn't get enough of the Atkins Diet. Disciples filled up on red meat and cheese - and still lost weight.

But following health scares, the slimming plan, which shunned most carbohydrates, fell out of favour.

Today, it's back on the menu - only this time, with a side-order of bread.

The All-New Atkins Advantage diet is said to offer the same weight loss as the old programme - without the health worries.

Its controversial selling-point remains the same. The plan aims to take followers into a state of ketosis, where the body is starved of carbohydrates.

In this condition, the body breaks down its own fat as there is not a large enough carbohydrate intake. It is normally associated with anorexics or those with diabetes.

Although this makes shifting pounds relatively easy, it has unknown health consequences and has been criticised by dieticians.

Under the old plan, dieters could eat as much high-protein food such as red meat and cheese as they wanted, but most carbohydrates were banned.

However, the latest 12-week programme is split into four stages - and in each one, increasing amounts of carbs are allowed.

Written by U. S. authors Dr Stuart Trager and Collette Heimowitz, both affiliated with the firm Atkins Nutritionals, it includes an exercise recommendation for the first time.

Dr Trager said: 'Yes, some foods are still off-limits in the earlier phases of the new diet. But there is room for healthy carbohydrates. The exercise plan means you can have a slice of bread with your salad if you do stick to the workouts.'

The rules advise slimmers to get the fat intake right, exercise, eat until they are full and include protein in every meal. For the first two weeks, dieters eat only 20g of net carbohydrates - carbohydrates minus protein - made up of foods such as seeds and berries.

In the period called 'ongoing weight loss', this allowance rises to between 30g and 60g and includes carbs such as oatmeal, brown rice, wholegrain pasta and wholemeal bread.

Those who want to eat more carbohydrates just balance the increased intake with exercise.

When thin enough, it's time for the 'life maintenance phase', in which white bread, sandwiches and desserts can be introduced with about 120g of carbs a day.

However, it seems likely that the latest plan will come in for similar criticism to its predecessor.

Carina Norris, a dietician registered with the British Nutrition foundation, said: 'Ketosis is not the normal way the body burns fat and we don't yet fully understand what it can do to you.'

In 2005, an Oxford University study found the diet could damage the heart. Demand dropped after founder Dr Robert Atkins died in a fall in 2003, at 72.

A report showed he had heart disease and was clinically obese.

But a new study of 293 dieters has found the original Atkins Diet was safe and effective - but no better than conventional diets.

Scientists asked UK volunteers to follow one of four commercial diets, including Atkins. The Australian team found no difference in the amount of weight lost, Nutrition Journal reports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...read-pasta.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:03

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
When thin enough, it's time for the 'life maintenance phase', in which white bread, sandwiches and desserts can be introduced with about 120g of carbs a day

At which point the dieter will promptly regain any weight that was lost.

Quote:
Carina Norris, a dietician registered with the British Nutrition foundation, said: 'Ketosis is not the normal way the body burns fat and we don't yet fully understand what it can do to you.'

It is the normal way the body burns fat. It's how our bodies worked for millions of years.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:04

Plan: Atkins/PP/IF
Stats: 185/165/150 Male 70''
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
However, it seems likely that the latest plan will come in for similar criticism to its predecessor.

Of course, as it's 95% identical to the previous! This reporter should be fired on the spot.

20 grams carb induction? Check.
Increasing level of carbs as weight loss progresses? Check.
4 phases? Check.
Eat to satiety? Check.
Unlimited amounts of fat and protein (subject to previous rule)? Check.
Obligation to exercise? Check.
Eat white bread? Ha ha! No more traffic jam in your heart. It's a miracle.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Makes me want to barf! White bread?

Quote:
The rules advise slimmers to get the fat intake right, exercise, eat until they are full and include protein in every meal. For the first two weeks, dieters eat only 20g of net carbohydrates - carbohydrates minus protein - made up of foods such as seeds and berries.
Now there's a new definition of net carbs!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:28

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Isn't 120 gram of carb like 2 slices of bread? If I bought a diet that advertised I could eat white bread, sandwiches and dessert and it turns out that I could only a minuscule portion per day, I'd sue them for false advertising.

This article is rather misleading. But if that makes people believe that the Atkins diet has gone all mainstream and moderate, it's all good. Maybe it will remove some of stigma based on all the unfounded criticism it suffers from.

Would be a pretty clever move actually.

The New and Improve Atkins Diet!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Makes me want to barf! White bread?

Quote:
The rules advise slimmers to get the fat intake right, exercise, eat until they are full and include protein in every meal. For the first two weeks, dieters eat only 20g of net carbohydrates - carbohydrates minus protein - made up of foods such as seeds and berries
Now there's a new definition of net carbs!

I saw that too....journalists really do need to be edited by someone who actually knows what they are writing about!!

Just in case anyone reading this does not know...carbs minus fiber, not protein, will give you a net carb count.

My experience with adding in certain "good" carbs as I was still losing my weight, was that there was no gain and I did see continued loss....when done slowly and with exercise... and no, I did not ever eat white bread nor do I eat it now!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/122/117 Female 5'6"
BF:23%
Progress: 78%

The reporter obviously doesn't understand what he's writing about.

He's confused about the whole concept of the diet.

Also, Dr. Atkins died of a fall on the ice that caused him to suffer a hit on the head.

His heart condition had nothing to do with his diet and he did not die of heart-related problems.

Sometimes I think these articles are written by second year journalism students working as summer interns.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:46

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Isn't 120 gram of carb like 2 slices of bread?

More than NINE slices, according to CalorieKing.com. And that's without subtracting the fiber.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:47

BF:

I think that if the article was written by a second year journalism student working as a summer intern it would be a damn sight better. I'm sure that a summer would care enough and remember enough from their schooling, to research it.

Unless they don't teach that in school anymore.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000times
More than NINE slices, according to CalorieKing.com. And that's without subtracting the fiber.

I stand corrected. I was looking at values for 100 gram of bread and assuming it was a portion (1 slice).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:51
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Isn't 120 gram of carb like 2 slices of bread?

The breads I occasionally eat contain 5-11 grams per slice. I think it would be silly to waste carbs on white bread when low carb bread is available, not to mention that white bread is unhealthy.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:52

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wye
Sometimes I think these articles are written by second year journalism students working as summer interns.

Hey, you don't give an important job like spreading misinformation about low-carb diets to a summer intern! You want a real pro for that job.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 08:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wye
No, I doubt it. A 2nd year journalism student would have put in the effort to research the heck out of whatever he or she was writing and would be terrified of making any mistakes. This was probably written by a seasoned, burnt out journalist who just wanted to get the article finished with a minimum of effort.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 09:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If this is true, why have they recently reprinted the 1972 version of DADR, which seems to be selling like hotcakes in the US & Canada? Obviously there is a lot of interest in Original Atkins, not junque-food products produced by Atkins "Nutritionals".
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-08, 09:03

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

LOLOL...Rutha, I think you nailed it.