Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%
Default First time in London

I am heading to London tomorrow for a little over a week for vacation. I want to experience as much as I can, but am somewhat uncertain how I am going to do when it comes eating. Any suggestions on what to avoid and other possible pitfalls would be greatly appreciated. By the way... what's the deal with the big funny hats the Queens Guards wear! j/k

Last edited by sonnofa : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 19:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 02:10

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Sonnofa

I hope that you have a wonderful trip over to London today and that you enjoy your week in the capital.

Whilst in most restaurants it is possible to get a meal low in carbs you just need to examine the menu carefully.

Remember the UK is much newer to this low carb lifestyle and low carb goodies are only just beginning to appear in our shops. So if you really go for these then bring some with you.

You might want to carry some nuts or other items in your bag for snacking.

When I've been out what I have found the hardest is getting something for lunch. It is OK if you want to sit down for a meal, but everything is still largely based around sandwiches and rolls or else pizza and pasta. Keep your wits about you and possibly buy cooked meats to eat on the run.

By the way, the Queen's Guards big black hats are called Buzzby's. Not sure who is on guard at Buckingham Palace at the moment. They don't all wear these ceremonial hats.

Have a great trip.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:15

Plan: dr clarks
Stats: 210/183/168 Female 5 ft 10inches
BF:43%
Progress: 64%

have a great trip sonnofa, as Anne said, just read everything, and 'ask' I do, when in resturants I ask them to leave out certain things like croutons and sauces etc... they are normally pretty good, don't be afraid to ask and if you don't get what uve asked for send it back until you do!
best of luck
Oh and don't take the open top bus ride, walk it !!! that way you can be sure, if you have eaten a little more then usual you can walk most of it off..
toodle-pip xx
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 15:44

Plan: Low Carb, Good Carb
Stats: 206/164/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

A lot of pubs do steak salad, cajun chicken salad, chicken and bacon salad, and chicken caesar salad. They nearly always come with croutons, but I just leave them on the plate.
In Italian restaurants you can usually get plain meat, or served with a thin tomato or cream sauce, generous vegetables, and a side salad.

Enjoy your visit.