Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Question Research on Glycemic Index?

I would like to know if anyone has researched the Glycemic Index (GI) in conjunction with LC'ing. It seems to be a valid indicator in making carbohydrate choices, yet it doesn't seem to come up.

Carbohydrates are rated on the index with glucose rating 100. Low GI foods = below 55, Intermediate GI = 55-70, and High GI = more than 70.
In general, high-GI foods provoke strong insulin responses... something we don't want, right? What really got me thinking was the consumption by many on the forum of Ryvita and the like which often has a rating of 70 or more on the Index. Then considered carrots, which are a low 49. Then there was the seemingly incongruous watermelon that has higher carbs than many fruits but rated 7 on the GI (mostly due to insoluable fibre.)

Mine is a gross simplification of the Glycemic Index, as there are many factors, such as the variation in ratings with the inclusion of lipids or acids and the calculation determinations based on the combination of high/intermediate/low GI foods eaten at the same time, but I wanted to know how the GI fits into the LC equasion.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Research on Glycemic Index?

Quote:
Originally posted by odd sock
I wanted to know how the GI fits into the LC equasion.

The Eades of Protein Power discuss the GI :

Quote:
In your program, do you look at the glycemic index of foods, that is how much they raise blood sugar levels?
No. The glycemic index does not compare apples to apples. They compare 100 grams of glucose to 100 grams of apples, but the apples donít contain 100 grams of carbohydrates. An Insuligenic Index would be more useful, but we use the Effective Carbohydrate Content of foods. This helps people choose healthier foods without worrying about the idea of a good or bad carbohydrate. It directs people away from potatoes and wheat, and towards vegetables, melons and berries.

As I understand it the problem with the GI is that it only works if you only eat that one carb alone and then eat nothing else for 2 hours. If you combine it with another carb / protein / fat or if you cook your particular carb it changes it's value.

So if you follow PP the GI doesnt fit anywhere into LC
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:46

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

Oh! I didn't know that! Thanks Nat! Maybe I've been overly restrictive. You are so helpful and full of information.

Allison