Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/251/195
BF:
Progress: 44%
Exclamation a question for the pros

been low carbing since January. I am still on induction, following the program to a t. I have never had a problem with the water consumption (drink about 150 oz / day) and i have been eating my greens! Surprisingly i still am not even close to being tired of the diet. I guess i am having too much success to think about it. well, i think i may be having a small problem.

since i started the diet i take daily: multi vitamin, vitamin c, potassium, and magnesium. About a month ago I started getting cramps in my back, neck and shoulders. I have been experiencing this tightness, and soreness on a daily basis. At first i figured it was just from increased activity... but iinstead of getting better I am experiencing it more and more. The constant iritation is really starting to drive me crazy! I just tonight started wondering if it could have anything to do with my low carbing.

Could it be related in any way to my low carbing?

Is there a new vitamin or mineral i should add to my daily sup.?

I have already tried the obvious, massages, and stretching regularly.

Thanks for your time...

PS. my 2 month old son weighs 11 pounds.. pretty amazing when i realized i had already lost 4 times his weight.....

thanks for your time.....

Mike

confused: confused:
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 06:15

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Quote:
PS. my 2 month old son weighs 11 pounds..

My wife used to get all the same symptoms and the above was the cause.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 06:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: a question for the pros

Quote:
Originally posted by mcavana
since i started the diet i take daily: multi vitamin, vitamin c, potassium, and magnesium. About a month ago I started getting cramps in my back, neck and shoulders. I have been experiencing this tightness, and soreness on a daily basis

Along with that magnesium are you also taking calcium? Magnesium is something we are often deficient in, and supplementing with it can make a world of difference, however, calcium is something that needs to be included in this mix as well. It's the calcium that allows the muscles to relax, the magnesium allows the calcium (and a host of other minerals) to do it's (their) job.

RDA for calcium is 1000-1500 mg a day. Make sure you use a chelated or citrate variety as it is more easily apsorbed and less tough on the tummy. You do not want calcium carbonate from oyster shells!

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/251/195
BF:
Progress: 44%

yes, i do take the calcium also... i forgot to mention that.. that is mixed in mith my magnesium pills.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 12:55

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: a question for the pros

Quote:
Originally posted by mcavana
About a month ago I started getting cramps in my back, neck and shoulders. I have been experiencing this tightness, and soreness on a daily basis.

PS. my 2 month old son weighs 11 pounds..

Hi Mike.....

A couple of things...I think rustpot may have something there as I suppose that you are toting around your son a bit and that is something new in your life. Could it be carrying his weight around and the position you get into with him?

Another thing.....babies.....though blessings and joy bringers....can also add stress to our lives. It's a huge change adding this little person to your life. I ask this because I carry my stress in my neck and through my shoulders and back. I've found that heat is the best help I get with this.

HTH
Marlaine
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 14:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think RustPot may be on to something here. With my second daughter, I remember my back and shoulders aching a lot because she was a baby that needed to be carried around a lot if I wanted to retain my sanity. I also had an 11 month old at that time too and she also wanted to be picked up a lot. What I found helped me a lot was to hand the babies over the the husband, take some Motrin (or Tylenol) and take a long soak in the tub with the door closed and the music turned up!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%

Have you tried a proffesional massage or some sort of gaget? I would suggest the real deal--myself!! And toting a baby around can be stressfull also

Good Luck
Sonja
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 22:17

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

hi Mike!

these pains can also be caused by a gallbladder problem, at least in me it is the case. please talk to your doctor for gallbladder tests/ultrasound, to see if you have infection or stones. I took care of mine by doing liver flush and general intestinal cleansing routine because I wanted to avoid surgery and medications. once these stones left my body and my liver was invigorated I feel ok again. best wishes, Mila.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 23:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Mike,

How's your sleep? Are you getting enough? And I mean enough to leave you feeling refreshed and rested when you crawl out of the sack. Or, are you tossing, turning, aching ... then waking to a screaming baby or a jangling alarm, feeling like a truck backed over you??

Sleep disorders are a common response to stress, even good stress, excitement etc. Studies have shown that insufficient sleep, or poor quality sleep can lead to muscle aches and pains, daytime fatigue, memory problems and more. During stages of deep sleep is when the body restores itself ... cells and tissues are repaired and replaced. Interrupted sleep, or lack of deep sleep can interfere with this restorative process, resulting in chronic muscle aches and pain.

The suggestion for calcium and magnesium is good. Divide your doses through the day, and make sure to take the last dose before bedtime.

Here's the link to a booklet from the Sleep Foundation. It's a bit simplistic, but the information is good, and might be useful for you, if you think lack of quality sleep may be a problem for you.

Doreen