Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 15:02
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Default oops I goofed with ryveta

Hi All

I had been having ryveta -high fibre thinking it was ok because my sessions with montignac had said high fibre crackers were ok - I just saw in NGR they are 69!!!!GI
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:17

Plan: montignac
Stats: 126/123/115
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default ryveta

Guess what I was eating while reading your post!!!!! Now I'm confused again. I would think ryveta is o.k. since the only two ingredients are rye flour and salt.no?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:28
Stepford Malfunction

Hi PD4PD

You would have thought eh? I thought it fit into the good unprocessed category - but as there are so many kinds and ways of grinding flour - obviously ryveta is using one that is too processed. It sure doesent look or taste very processed - quite grainy and good fibre. But I'm going to cut mine out for now - see if I can find a recipe for a homeade crispbread/cracker from montignac or the NGR.

If you were eating them because of one of my posts - I'm really sorry - if they were eaten with a fat-free cheese it would have lowered the GI somewhat and the GL is only 11 so it's not the worst mistake in the world.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 09:32

BF:
Default ryveta mishap

Actually I bought them a while ago, thinking they were o.k Not your fault! Does anyone have any thoughts about sugar free, fat free fruit spreads sweetened with apple juice concentrate and pectin? would that be o.k. to use in oatmeal, or not? thx.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 11:27
Stepford Malfunction

Hi PD4D

That spread sounds like it would be allright (to me) the apple juice is ok and since pectin is a fruit product it probably is ok - sometimes I make jam without storebought pectin (not talking diet jam here) and I know that the less ripe the fruit the higher the pectin content so this pectin is probably extracted from underipe fruit which is lower GI than ripe fruit. I have been for now using frozen unsweetened berries and mashing them for a little fruit puree. Have you tried the museli recipe - its listed several places here in the Montignac Forum - it's oatmeal with added fruit and is verygood - wink to Spang

Another thought about the pectin - I happened to have a pack of certo in my cupboard and I checked the ingredients Certo is pectin and sugar together so there is a possibility that some companies might use pectin with sugar added - this I don't know for sure.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 14:30

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

i *think* pectin is the part of fruit that makes jam thinken when you make it.

I'm aslways very weary of what look like natural fuit jiuce concetrate sweeteners - personally it is food company trying to make their sugar sound ok for you, after all hgh fructose corn syrup is made from all natural corn...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 14:40

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

i eat ryvita... but there again, i'm not loosing weight!

i've just looked at the jam i use - it sounds very similar to the one originally mentioned, it is organic with grape juice instead!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 14:44
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Spang

From my jam making days - you are right pectin is what thickens the jam. I'm just not sure how much of the fruit sugar is in pectin.
That's why I mentioned that more pectin is obtained from using underipe fruit - in jam making I would use lots of ripe fruit and add a certain amount of unripe to get a higher pectin for thickening. I was making a low sugar jam at that time and the commercial pectin mixes available to me all had sugar. By the way this lo sugar jam was very runny - not much jam to it. But the flavor was great. For now I am content with mashed berries or cooked pureed fruit.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 16:31

BF:
Default pectin

thx guys....incidentally, the label for the product I use says,"all sugars from fruit" Also, I know in a perfect world, there is no need to eat in between meals...In the real world, what is legal on Montignac other than legal cheese and /or apples?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 16:55
Stepford Malfunction

Hi,

I had the diet plan from the montignac site and for snacks - fruit was always fine other snacks were yogurt, even oatmeal or salad.

Although he discourages snacking there are times he admits it is necessary - in my case I am a poor sleeper and often wake at 2:00am and don't sleep again till 11:00 or later at night so it's unrealistic to expect me not to snack. He also says if an afternoon snack helps you eat a smaller dinner its a good thing.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 18:42

BF:
Default snacks

Thanks!