Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Suzanne Somers

I understand that Suzanne Somers has been living the low carb lifestyle for quite some time now and has several recipe books out on it.

Do any of you have any of her books or have you tried any of her recipes???

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 22:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Yup. Many of the books, many of the recipes tried. Since you didn't ask a specific question, I don't know quite what else to say, except that there's actually a Forum here for SomerSizing. We have all KINDS of good info.

So I'm going to move your post there, maybe you'll get some good tips in there or get a chance to have a read or do some SEARCHing (see the little globe on the upper right of your screen?).

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:38

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 200/200/150
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Default I have the latest book

I haven't tried the recipes yet, but they look delicious. She's even got pictures of them in there. I paid $25 for it at B&N, but I think it's worth it cuz of all the recipes. For any of those other diets, you'd have to buy a separate book for recipes.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 05:07

Plan: somersizing/atkins
Stats: 125/125/125
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I have all 4 of her books about her program. The first two are the best, imho--

Eat Great, Lose Weight

and

Get Skinny.

You can find them on ebay or half.com for pretty good price. Sometimes you can find them together on ebay, that way you only pay one shipping charge.

Don't get me wrong, all the books have good recipes in them and they all give you new info, but I think the first two are the best and the last one truly seemed to be 250 or so pages of sales of somersize products.. I found that aspect quite disturbing.

The recipes in the earlier books are a little bit more complicating BUT they aren' t full of sweets and creams either. I think that people lost weight faster on the earlier books.

Now please understand that I have been on/off program for over a year, with personal health issues (not related to diet) and my mother has been terribly ill. I need to lose about 150 lbs and can't imagine that I will lose even one if I don't low carb.

I am trying a few things to pysch myself up, DD is the size I want to be, I am having her put on my dream dress and I am going to take a picture when I was 125 and put my head on her picture that way I can "see myself thin".

I know that I have way more to lose than everyone else, but I hope it is okay to join in here too.

Good luck!
reva
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:57

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46
Progress: 7%
Default I agree w/ Reva!

I definitely like her earlier books better. I don't have her new one "Fast and Easy" yet. If it is like everyone is saying (loaded w/ SS product info) then I might want to get it.

Part of the appeal for me to start this WOE was getting back to REAL foods. Avoiding fake & over processed foods. It really clicked w/ me. Our ancestors didn't eat tons of sugar and overly processed foods pumped with chemicals. They sure as heck didn't have the obesity epidemic we have today. I think we can learn from them. I also like the fact that we can have fruits, whole wheat cereals, breads, and pasta. However, I have those in moderation. If I do have them, I have them early in the day. I always end my day with a pro/fats meal.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 09:46

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't have her books, but I get them at the library every so often. I like her Fast and Easy for the recipes, but too much commerical for her products in that book for me.

Two recipes that use often from her books are
1. Cheeseburger Pie
and
2. Mini Pizza

Both of these recipes the entire family loves, so I make one or the other once a week.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:57

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Welcome Revabud!

Of COURSE you are welcome to join in here!

It's always fun to read what other people prefer. I now have all five (including the dessert recipe book) of Suzanne's books and like the last two the best. I started with Fast and Easy and only got the others for the recipes since I'd already read the most updated version of her plan. I find I never have half ngredients for the more complicated recipes in the first two, and the dessert book was really disappointing with very few extremely fancy recipes. I had hoped for a few of those and then plenty of quickies. No such luck.

I adore the cream cheese pancakes, the Chicken in Balsamic Dijon Sauce and her vanilla and chocolate custards in particular. But there are so many recipes to try I have barely even begun! I do tend to amend her heavy fat tendancies by using lean meats and subbing oil for butter and just a good old nonstick pan for oil sometimes.

I got all but my first book on Amazon.com, used. They were about half the price I paid in the bookstore.

Last edited by Mamabeek : Fri, Apr-04-03 at 16:00.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:59

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Oh... Kelly?

Does she have a marinara sauce recipe somewhere? In the mini-pizza recipe she says to use her jarred sauce. What do you use for the sauce on your pizzas?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 18:17

Plan: atkins/somersize
Stats: 154/149/127
BF:
Progress: 19%

I also have all 5 books. My favorites are the first 2. I can't remember which book its in, but the eggplant parmesean is wonderful, as is meatball recipe, and tomato sauce, mayonaise, green bean and hearts of palm salad (made that today again). I could go on and on. By the way, I was at our health food store saturday and bought Vegenaise, its wonderful. No eggs or dairy. It is made with grapeseed oil. very good. I still make the sugarfree cheesecake from the first book often. (although I won't for awhile because it is too good.)