Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default carbo lunch, anyone else?

First of all I just have to say that I am thrilled with the woe. Nothing before has worked and although I am losing slowly I AM LOSING. And I feel great. And I am not starving (far from it!)

Is anyone else eating their carbos fro lunch? Or sometimes dinner?
I find that if I eat them in the morning I am real hungry all day and I just want more and more carbs. I just kind of graze. If I have a nice pf breakfast and midmorning snack and save my carb meal for later I am much more satisfied with it and I enjoy it and go back to eating pf happily 3 hrs later. I usuall do as SS suggests and eat my fruit first and than after 20 min or more I eat carb meal. I am grain free (cause much to my dismay I have to admit that they do not agree with me, even brown rice is a no no for me. Corn is the only grain that does not bother me and since it is not level 1 I "cheat eat" it real occassionally)so the meal usually consists of non fat dairy in some form and legumes and a very occassional "cheat eat" small potatoe. And once in awhile I eat a piece of fruit (usually a grapefruit cause I love them) at night. another reason I d not eat a carbo breakfast is because wo grains there is not much to choose from in terms of breakfast carbos. Beans...not the optimum breakfast choice altough great later in the day!)
And one final question...did i miss it...are lima beans allowed?

Is anyone else eating carbos later in the day?

thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi Kacey,
I think that if it is working for you, go for it! Sometimes in the morning 20 minutes after a fruit breakfast I will have Ryvita crackers with fat-free cream cheese, or Puffed Kashi cereal with skim milk. I really like eggs in the morning though and I find them more satisfying. I think lima beans are the same thing as other dried beans; they are carbs.

Last edited by Sandylee : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 20:39.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 12:01
Registered Member

Default thanks

thanks Sandylee!
It always feels good to get validation!
I too find pro/fats more satisfying in the morning. Some days, like yesterday, I don't even have a carb meal at all, just an all fruits meal.
Although I like to make sure that I have some carb meals so that I eat some non fat yogurt.
and so I don't get the no carbo crankies.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 19:44

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 65/64/55 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Kacey!
Loved your post!
I´ve been low carbing for a while but don´t seem to have found the right plan for me yet... I´m very interested in the Sommersizing program right now and trying to learn a little bit about it.
What is a typical daily menu for you?
Thanks in advance for your help.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 23:46
Registered Member

Default daily menu

Hi Camelia
my daily menu is probably a bit different from someone else's cause I am a vegetarian and also I don't eat grains except for corn cause I am sensitive to them.
So here goes...
For breakfast I usually have pro/fats. like eggs and cheese or sometimes just cheese. Also a protein drink most days.

then usually fruit (melons, grapes, grapefruit) and a carb lunch like kidney bean salad or lima beans and maybe some corn cakes (I know they are not level 1 but it is the only grain that I can eat) w/ non fat cream cheese. I only do the corn thing like a couple of times a week since it is a no no. Or I might have some non fat vream cheese spread and celery and some non fat yogurt w/ Splenda and flavoring.

A pro fats snack usually but every onc in a while I just can't resist another peice of fruit.

Dinner is sauteed yellow and green squash smothered with cheese or maybe made in a casserole. Of a huge salad with fresh mozerella and lots of olve oil and.

OI do eat olive and avocados and coconut milk (all fat no carbs, I make splenda sorbet out it, its awesome) even though these things are iffy for level 1 they work fine for me. They give me more variety since I have less choices being veg.

Then usually another snack of pro fats like cheese or sour cream dip and veggies.

I also allow myself nuts and nut butter or tahini once a week just to keep it interesting...only a little though. And I just started doing this last week so I will have to see where it goes. When I eat nuts/tahini I eat it/them alone and drink a big glass of lemon water with it.

and thats it
I am losing slow but never feel deprived and enjoy meals and snacks and don't obsesss about food anymore!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Kacey, How about starting a journal?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:30

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 65/64/55 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thank you so much Kasey!
You know I´m starting to think this could be a great way of eating for me, but I´m taking it slowly and trying not to get too excited as I did before...
I´m still afraid of eating carbs, today i bought a box of All Bran cereal, so that was my first step to somerzing, let´s see...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 11:19
Registered Member

Default journal/carbs

Hi gals!
Sandylee, a journal...i had not thought of that....not to sound real dumb but do you think that would help? I am not having any trouble sticking with this ss eating plan including my little personalized no no's. For me right now the trouble is portions size and stopping before i get too full. I think that the freedom of this has gone to my head (nah to my belly lol)

Camelia, I think that I was actually eating as many carbs when I was doing the atkins style cause the nuts had carbs in them, and were not well combined. And I find that I am actually not having any cravings.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 16:57

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Hiya Kacey!

I enjoyed reading this thread because I have a neighbor who is a vegetarian and wants to do SS. I haven't been much help to her, so reading how other veggie SSers are managing is interesting.

I have a question though. I keep rereading this sentence and still can't quite grasp it:

So are you saying you actually make a sorbet out of olives, avacados and coconut milk? Or did you mean you eat those three borderline items and just referring to the coconut at the end? I eat all three of those things sometimes too and have never had a problem with them.

Journals are fun because you meet more people that way and in your case you would be a good resource for vegetarian Somersizers wanting to see what works for others. Give it a try, it's fun!

MB
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 08:14
Registered Member

Default olive and avocados and coconut oh my!

Hi mb!
I chuckled when I read you question...I do tend to just write and post like stream of consciousness!
like you i eat olives and avocados as borderline items. I eat them as pro fats with veggies. They seem to be fine for me. My fav of favs as olives go is making a salad of lettuce fresh mozerella balls, fresh grated parmasian maybe some green and red peppers and cucumbers, lots of teeny cherry tomatoes and smother it with chopped green olives and olive oil and balsamic vinegar and Karzy Jane's salt. This has been my lunch for the last week and i am still not tired of it! Its like a bruschetta salad.
I make coconut sorbet using equal parts of full fat coconut milk, seltzer, coconut or banana extract tot taste(or both)and splenda (you can use somersweet and it works great too). Freeze and then sit and scrape scrape scrape with a spoon while ya watch tv. Takes a long time to eat and is pro/fats and cooling and delicious. You can top it with a little whipped cream if you like that or I just pour little drizzles of cream over as I go.(you can defrost the sorbet in the microwave a bit if you want a slushier consisitency but I like to work for it!) Is kinda decadent with the cream and a very "busy" soothing desert to eat while the rest of the fam munches on their goodies.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 08:17
Registered Member

Default and yet another typo

i meant equal parts of coconut and seltzer
then coconut and banana extract to taste.