Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 17:06

Plan: Sommersizing
Stats: 197/173/155
BF:30%
Progress: 57%
Thumbs up This is the ONLY eating plan that worked for me!

Hi everyone:
I just had to post my thoughts about the SS way of eating. I've been dieting for 20 yrs, loosing/gaining on a all too familiar cycle. Out of desperation I tried the Atkins diet but it was difficult to accomodate it to my taste buds and so I couldn't stick with it. I then switched to SS and loved the variety, the food choices and the results. Plus I was able to eat the fruits and vegs which I rate highly in any diet plan. I've lost 30lbs over the last year and for me that's the best weight lost in years. This plan is almost too easy to follow!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Basic Low Carb Plan
Stats: 142/135/125
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default good to know...

thanks for the info

i just started a few days ago, atkins/ss, more towards the ss. so far i have lost 2 lbs, probably mostly water weight though.

the more i hear this wol works, the more psyched i get

thanks again for the positive vibes
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 19:04

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 182/144/130
BF:
Progress: 73%

That is really wonderful. The dieting yo-yoing can take over one's life. I find also that ss has kept me in check. I am losing weight and not depriving myself.
Keep it up!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 16:47

Plan: Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load
Stats: 233/236/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: -5%
Question Question for MNDieter

I am so happy to hear that SS is working great for you. My question is this: How strictly have you been following the program? Do you cheat at all? If so, what kinds of cheats and how often?

A 30-lb. loss is very impressive. I need to lose 40-50 lbs., but I keep struggling with the same 5-8 lbs. (losing, gaining, losing, gaining ....).

Thanks for the info!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 21:12

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 182/144/130
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well cheating is cheating. If you do it, you won't see results and the guilt you feel afterwards is even worse. When I "loosen" my eating habits, which is a less harsh term for CHEATING, I notice that I don't lose weight. I just maintain. But if I get focused and really stick to the plan, there is not doubting it, you will lose weight.

It is hard to be 100% perfect and the key to that, is if you do cheat, don't go crazy. You may slip, but don't let the whole day go because of some "funky food". Get back on the wagon!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 16:08

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 276/233/195
BF:
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Works for me, too

I really find Sommersizing maks the most sense for me - taste buds are more satisfied. I've lost 27 pounds following her plan with my emphasis on fish over meat and eating soy products (tofu) instead of bacon for breakfast and in stirfries. I don't cheat I just fall off the plan every so often. Bread is my downfall and I have to stay away from it. Sweets are not much of a problem as a couple of squares of bitter sweet chocolate keeps the edge off.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 18:30

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default i need some advice please?

ive been doing atkins and am down 29.5 lbs, ive hit a plateau, and i hear so many good things about ss that i was wondering if anyone out there changed from atkins to ss and why, could u also let me know the diff between the 2, t.i.a.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 13:36

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Nursegal, look here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=79418

Here is a link to a thread just a little way down the page from someone who switched from Atkins to SS. I have only been on the SS plan, but have many friends who do Atkins. As far as I can see the main differences are that Somersizers eat more fruit and grains than ATkins people. We don't count anything, not calories, not carbs, nothing, we just make sure we are eating the foods allowed to us and that we are combining them properly. Combining is the most dramatic difference between the two plans I think. Some people have some trouble getting the hang of it, but it seems to work well for me.

I chose this WOE because it allows lots of veggies and some fruits too. No food groups are completely elimiated and there is no hassle of tracking, counting etc to worry about. Jami asks here about "cheating" and I'd say that my main cheats are usually combining no nos rather than true LC cheats. Sometimes I really want butter on my whole grain bread or I have fruit for dessert right after a protein/fats meal. But I rarely "cheat" with processed carbs or sugars because I am so satisfied with this WOE.

I think Somersizing is a slower weight loss program than Atkins, but I honestly believe it's easier to follow life long because it is so complete.

MB
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 19:40

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default THANKS MAMABEEK

Thanks for the info, i have been doing atkins, and am stuck at 29.5 lbs, i feel a little discouraged, but so many people are noticing the wt loss, that i have to stick with it, i cheated yesterday very badly, (my cheat was fruit, a whole bunch of fruit) but i didnt eat anything else except some veggies, (i wasnt feeling very well) so today i decided that i was gonna include some more fruits thats the only thing thats missing, so thanks for the info, gonna do some reading tommorow.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%
Talking I'm new!

I'm new to this site, not Somersizing! I lost about 18 pounds since January and have kept it off for 2 months. Now I am ready to lose my last 20 pounds and keep it off for life!!!

My story is: I was flipping through the channels and saw Suzanne on HSN Spring of 2001 and she mentioned that a grilled cheese sandwich is the worst thing you could eat. I paid attention because I love GCS! I never knew combining bread and fats were not good! Duh! I went out and bought the book and lost 20 pounds in 7 weeks. I walked three times a week and didn't cheat until the last two weeks. I only cheated on the weekend. One meal say on Saturday I would have something illegal. It worked.....Until I went on vacation and started eating the old way again. One Spring later I bought 6WBM and that did not work. No Salt...Huh! Salt is in everything I found when trying to find legal products. I got my $$ back. Then in January I decided that I couldn't live this way forever. Not being comfortable with my body and wearing what I want to wear.

I decided to try to lose about 15 pounds and see if I could keep it off. I have kept it off give or take a few pounds here and there. Now I know how to maintain my weight and am ready to lose my last 20 pounds. I have incorporated walking and exercise in my life at least a few times per week. It feels so good! I even walked in the March of Dimes Saving Babies walk about 2 months ago. It was a 7 mile walk. I did it in just less than 2 hours...Hills and all! It feels so good to do something you never thought you could do!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:43

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Way to go Natasha!

Sounds like you've done really well with Somersizing. I'm just plugging along at a 20 pounds loss. Was down to 22, but am having a bad week. I upped my exercise and snacked a bit too much at the same time and crept up three pounds. Not so much and the exercise might be all it is anyway, which would simply mean I've made some muscle! But today I am down a pound and after 5 months on this WOE have confidence that I'll be back down to my lowest and then go beyond in no time! I too love this way of eating because the food is so good and it's not hard to follow the plan.

Great to meet you and keep up the good work! Kudos on the walkathon too, that's not only a worthy cause but a fantastic personal acheivement.

MB