Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 19:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Arnold Bennett Omlette

Ooh, this sounds seriously delicious and strictly lowcarb! Yum! Note that the milk is not used in the recipe itself but only for poaching the fish.

http://thepassionatecook.typepad.co...tte-arnold.html

I'll copy the text in case the blog disappears. But click on the link to see the gorgeous picture.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Omelette Arnold Bennett*
(serves 2 as a lunch or dinner)

250 g undyed smoked haddock fillet (skin and bones removed)
300 ml milk
6 large eggs
50 g butter
70 g grated hard cheese (emmental, comte, gruyere)
chives, for sprinkling

For the Hollandaise:
4 large egg yolks
130 g butter
juice of half a lemon
dash white wine vinegar
50 g water
salt and white pepper for seasoning

To make the hollandaise, whisk ingredients in a bowl over hot water until the sauce thickens and your arm falls off.
If, like me, you have a Thermomix, however, weigh all ingredients directly into the mixing bowl, set timer to 3 minutes, temperature to 70C and speed to 3. If, like me, you like your sauce quite thick and onctuous, add another 2 minutes at 80C, speed staying the same.

While the Thermomix is doing its thing, place the haddock in a pot with enough milk to just cover it. Poach gently for about 3 minutes, then remove from the milk and flake.

Beat the eggs for the omelette and fry in the butter until starting to set.

Arrange 2 layers of omelette and fish flakes each on two plates, then sprinkle with the cheese and adorn with dollops of sauce. Place under the preheated grill for a few minutes until the sauce is gently browning and bubbling. Sprinkle with chives.

Serve instantly with some bread and salad on the side.

* Based on a recipe in Marcus Wareing's "How to cook the perfect...", recipe for Sauce Hollandaise from the Thermomix cookbook.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-09, 09:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Didn't have haddock, so I made it with some baked mackarel leftover from dinner the night before. It was delicious! And very filling. I wasn't hungry until 5 o'clock. To make this for breakfast, it's a good idea to make the hollandaise the night before.