Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 10:21
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Low Carb Intermittent Fasting, Part 3

WELCOME TO THE ALCF INTERMITTENT FASTING GROUP.

Intermittent Fasting, or "IF", is a comfortable and manageable way of living to either lose fat or maintain a healthy weight indefinitely.

IF is a means of getting all the health and longevity benefits of caloric restriction without calorically restricting.

IF consists of a pattern of short fasting periods (15 to 24 hours) alternated with an eating window (1 to 24 hours)

Dr Michael Eades has called the low carb diet taken in intermittent fasting structure, in his opinion, the "gold standard" of treatment for obesity, diabetes, and other health markers that are symptoms of an incorrect diet.

We here in this thread are sharing our daily experiences, triumphs and challenges as we add IF to our low carb WOE.

Before you embark on any new way of eating, it's important to understand how it works and what you might expect. If you're interested in learning more about IF, please read the following links - these are some of the best that explain IF and the reasons for doing it:

Fast Way To Better Health - Dr Michael Eades
Protein Power versus Intermittent Fasting - Dr Michael Eades
Art DeVaney on IF
Mark Sisson - Is Intermittent Fasting Healthy?
Top Ten Diet Fallacies - Ori Hofmekler
Warrior Diet (An IF style eating plan) FAQ's
Fast-5 Diet and Lifestyle (free e-book) by Dr Beri Herring

You'll also find lots of information on member's experiences with IF in this thread and the two previous IF threads:

Part 1 - http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=309675
Part 2 - http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=343404
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 10:31
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

QUESTION for IF'ers:
Why do you do it? What is your schedule? What are you hoping to achieve, and what benefits have you already derived from IF?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 11:43
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Quote:
QUESTION for IF'ers:
Why do you do it? What is your schedule? What are you hoping to achieve, and what benefits have you already derived from IF?

I've been IF-ing for 5 months now. My original goal was to try it consistently for 3 months, till my next doctor's appointment, so new blood tests would reflect the affects, if any, of IF.

My reasons for wanting to try LC/ IF was reading that it seemed to help improve insulin sensitivity as well as other health markers, and I was looking for the tool to take me the rest of the way to having normal blood sugars all the time, and perhaps even eventually get off the diabetes meds.

IF felt a little strange and unnatural at first, as I made the adjustment, but as the days and weeks went by, it started to feel more and more normal. Now I'm enjoying it very much. Like many who try it, I find combining IF with LC gives the most powerful hunger and appetite suppression possible, and I actually enjoy that feeling of real hunger right before I break my fast, now. Days I choose not to IF (I take 1 or 2 days off a week, to eat brunch or out with family) actually feel like cheating!

My chosen schedule of 22/2, with an eating window roughly between 6:00 and 8:00 pm is working good for me. I like the freedom from thinking about, and preparing food. I like the freedom of not having to decide how much and what to eat multiple times a day, and the constant vigilance and discipline that's involved to control portions and carbs. It's easier now. What to eat? It's simple, if it's not between 6:00 - 8:00 pm, then nothing.

I like how that's given me greater control over my eating, and taught me I don't have to eat every few hours. Before, if I was ever in a situation where it was meal time and there was no low carb choices for me (like a staff meeting where the boss treats everyone to pizza), I would feel angry, punished and deprived. I don't anymore. It's ok if I don't get to eat. Later, a big delicious meal will be coming my way, and I'll live till then. IF has taught me that, and it feels amazing.

I like how IF is helping me control my diabetes.
Prior to IF, LC alone had improved my BG readings from the daily 300's, all the way down to a daily range of 114-135, an amazing improvement, but still higher that I wanted to see it and still with big spikes after every meal. By adding IF to LC, I've been able to take my BG readings into the 80's and 90's all day long, with a smaller spike (115 or so) after my eating window. My most recent A1c is down to 5.4.

I LOVE how much more I enjoy my food now. Food tastes better. I LOVE getting to eat until I am truly full and satiated. You never get to eat till you're full on the "eat frequent small meals" plan, and I tried for a long time to convince myself that I should be able to feel satisfaction with frequent small meals, but I don't think that's the way humans are biologically wired. It's against our natures, that's the reason we don't find it satisfying, not because we're glutonous slobs with no willpower.

I love the significant drop in my grocery bill. I simply cannot eat as much quantity of food in a 2 or 3 hour window as I can all day. I stand in the grocery store now, picking things up that I used to eat frequently, and putting it back down, thinking "when will you eat that - you're not going to get around to eating that".

Now the big question, how has IF affected my rate of weight loss. Since I lose in whooshes and stalls, I felt at least 3 months of consistent IF would be needed before I could draw any type of conclusion about that. But here I am at 5 months, and I will compare the past 5 months to the 5 months immediately prior to that (I have been low carbing consistently for 16 months.)

IF is meant to work as a form of caloric restriction, but without the caloric restriction, and in a format that does not slow metabolism.

My average daily calories with IF is around 1500-1600, with ratios of around 5% carb, 20% protein, 70% fat. It was about the same before IF.

In the past 21 weeks of LC + IF, I have lost 32 pounds.
In the 21 weeks immediately prior to that, of LC only, I lost 26.5 pounds.

So IF seems to have resulted in an extra 5.5 pounds of weight loss over 5 months, or .26 pounds a week, which is probably not statistically significant...

However, I feel my body is recomposing itself; the greater rate of loss is fat. I have no proof of that, I just feel it. I do know I don't look as saggy and baggy this time around as in previous times I lost over 100 pounds. My belly apron is definitely smaller this time around, even though I'm 10 years older and certainly no more elastic. My midriff is gone, I have a waist 8 inches smaller than my bust and hip measurements.

From my experience and IMO, the combination of LC and IF seems to be a really potent fat burning combination. I plan to stick with IF for the foreseeable future!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 14:52

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
QUESTION for IF'ers:

It worked after a long stall hadn't. It makes sense and I am always game for new things. The fact that several LC advocats use/used.advocated it was a great incentive.

5 days of 22/2 (Sunday to Thursday) and 2 days of 18/6 (Firday and Saturday) although there is flexability in there. Tonight will be a 28/1 (a first for me). I am doing gift wrapping at a charity event and am going direct from work.

I hope to achieve fame and fortune but will settle for less fat, more muscle mass, and the other benefits associated with LC IF along with strength training.

Benefits already received include losing 17 pounds after a long and dreary stall, BP lowered to 114/82 from 140/88, and my wife likes that our food budget is down about 20% . I rarely buy snacks or lunches out now and she likes that there is less wastage in the fridge (I only buy things I really like and they all get used). Another benefit is knowing that I really control what/when I eat. I used to keep a jar of mixed nuts at work and ended up taking them home since there were not getting eaten.

A small item that I have a problem is getting enough water. I usually drank with meals and was not a big water drinker prior to IF and have to make a real effort to get it in.

Last edited by Ottawa : Tue, Dec-11-07 at 15:30.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 15:58

Plan: CAD/IF
Stats: 320/262/180 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Miz Kitty- Thanks for starting the new thread.

I do IF for the health benefits the research points to, as well as improved weight loss compared to just low carb. I was amazed how easy it was to start up IF. Many people start gradually, but I preferred just jumping right into it. YMMV.

I use a 5 hour window each day for eating. In that 5 hours I tend to have late lunch about 1pm and supper about 5:30 pm. I have been moving my window an hour or so to fit whatever is in my schedule. For example, if I am having meal at an event at 7 pm, then I will have a late lunch at about 3 in order to keep my window of 5 hours. This works well for me and still allows me to keep a social life without avoiding "lunch with the ladies" or "dinner parties".

I am hoping to improve my health, and continue to gain control of my eating. I want to finally make it to my goal weight... which I have not seen since age 16. (sad but true) I want to continue the journey of finding freedom from hunger and impulsive eating. IF has helped me with this so much already, and will probably continue to help me change and improve.

A few of the many benefits I have noticed so far: decreased hunger and feeling full with a smaller portion, less regain when I have slipped up and eaten "off plan", fewer headaches, heightened taste and smell, lower blood pressure, more alertness during fasting, and improved digestion. I am sure I may have missed something. I have only been on IF for 2 months. I lost 10 pounds in the first 6 weeks, but have been struggling with losing the past few weeks due to December/ Christmas parties and such. I am ready to get serious again though, and start dropping more poonds and inches.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 16:08
Say cheese!

Plan: Carb'n negative + IF
Stats: 123/106/111 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 142%

Quote:
QUESTION for IF'ers:

I’ve been IFing ever since Dr Eades first blogged about it.
I’m a random IFer (RIFer) – a couple of days a week plus stretches that last from a week to two weeks about every five weeks or so. My daily eating schedule when IFing is anywhere from 15/9 up to 20/4 (I have gone longer a few times).
IF has made me lean as opposed to just having a lower body weight via low-carbing alone.
It’s convenient not having to worry about eating when you don’t have access to good LC food. Knowing that your world’s not going to end and that you won’t fall over if you skip a meal or two is very empowering.
I enjoy the anticipation of looking forward to my meals.
It’s nice to be able to indulge (not binge) during the eating window. I think it fills a basic human need that is a constant struggle to avoid when eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between.
It makes me feel energetic and clear headed.
Based on everything I’ve read on the subject, I believe it is the most healthy way to eat and will confer the greatest health benefits long term.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 19:33

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 312/258/180 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I've been IF since August and I admit in the beginning I didn't eat right at all. I'm now combining it with low-carb, I follow mainly a South Beach kind of WOE. I've lost weight and I feel really good and my body has changed a lot. It actually looks like I've lost more weight than I really have. I plan to continue doing this forever. I do a Fast-5 IF but most days I have a shorter window and sometimes I only eat one meal a day and a snack.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Karen, great effort opening the new thread so informatively.

I've never wanted or needed to lose bodyfat. I started eating no more than 40g carb five years ago because it seemed from the stuff I was reading to be the way humans are designed to eat, and I was worried I was showing some indication of prediabetes. I lost a bit of body fat, and gained some muscle and enjoyed various degrees of the excellent health low carbers report: no daily energy fluctuations, mood improvement, better sleep/skin/ hair, exemplary lipids,
never getting colds or flu etc.

But just doing low carb, and probably because I wasn't trying to lose bodyfat, I would graze moderately all day, from the time I woke to the time I retired. I could feel that it wasn't very healthy to drip food into yourself all the time, but if I tried to eat 'regular meals' I just felt sick with hunger in between. Even now after over a year of daily low carb/IF, if I broke my fast in the morning, I would feel compelled to eat 'moderately' (and not have any problem eating only low carb suff) all day.

Mike Eades initial blog on the additional benefits of combining IF and low carb fascinated me, so I eased into much longer overnight fasts during the following 3 months, gradually ramping up the fast length till I was comfortable with a 20 hr fast every day.

I've experienced so many wonderful health/bodycomp benefits from adding IF to long term low carb. Not feeling that I would die if I didn't eat at least every few hours is a psychological benefit as well. As I think Zedgirl mentioned, IF really gives you a feeling of total control over eating and food. Which for someone who spent every waking moment far too focussed on eating and food pre - IF, is a very big deal.

I think a lot of people think that IF'ers just get better at controlling hunger. One of the most remarkable things about IF for me is that until about half an hour before the start of your regular eating window, you actually don't feel any hunger.

Eating to complete satisfaction once a day is plenty. I'm just amazed how comfortable this kind of dietary approach is. The health benefits are a very big bonus.

Stuart

Last edited by kneebrace : Tue, Dec-11-07 at 20:45.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 20:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 294/201/150 Female 5'6'
BF:got that
Progress: 65%

Quote:
QUESTION for IF'ers:

Well, I've been formally doing IF for about 2 months now. I kinda fell into it when I just felt overwhelmed with all the food decisions I was having to make everyday. Keeping track of when to eat and what to eat anywhere from 3 to 5 times a day, plus deciding every few hours if I was hungry and how hungry and choosing what foods to eat at those times was just too much. So I was doing IF for about 2 weeks before I found this thread and realized that what I was doing had an actual name and people had researched it.
IF also helps alot if you find yourself emotionally or mindlessly eating. When you are in your fasting window and feel the need to eat unnecessarily because of your emotions, IF imposes a sort of discipline. Since you are fasting and can't eat to meet those emotional needs, you find something else to do about it. Your repertoire of non-food coping skills/interventions increases. Do that often enough and those skills start to nudge aside food as your immediate and mindless way to cope with emotional distress.
Additionally, with IF I really enjoy the food I do eat. I don't just shovel it in my face, I savor it. And with your calories for the day concentrated in just a couple/few hours you can enjoy substantial portions of that LC food. Plus concentrating your carb allowance allows you to enjoy a wider choice of veggies and condiments/sauces.
Finally, I find 2 tools that really help me is the My Plan feature on this website so I can record my food (it is not too much of a hassle since you are only doing it once a day) and a food scale (like most overweight people I used to consistently underestimate how much I was eating). I find I am eating more calories than I ever have while on weight loss and yet I am losing weight much faster and more consistently (there I know I've jinxed it and am shortly going to experience the mother of all stalls ).
My fasting window is about 20 to 22 hours per day. I have done IF for 7 days a week for the last 2 months. But don't let other people's numbers or schedules be your goal. Start where you are comfortable at and adjust as needed. I don't look at IF as some kind of do or die thing. It just seems to be the most natural way for me to eat right now.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 08:12

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Dec. 11th
Total: 2031 IF: 27/1
Fat: 124
Carbs: 51 - 18 = 33
Fiber: 18
Protein: 191

Ate at 10 PM which does not lead to a great sleep but did not get home 'til then.
I had a 14 oz steak, Veg. Spaghetti with cheese, 2 cups yogurt/2 scoops chocolate whey and 1 cup raspberries. 4 Coconut/Brazil Nut Chocolates from the recipe on the earlier thread. Got my 64 oz. of water in as well.

My longest fast so far and included a heavy weights workout. I am upping my minimum protein target back to .7 gm/pound as well to match increased resistance workouts.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 08:50

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I've been IF-ing for 5 months now. My original goal was to try it consistently for 3 months, till my next doctor's appointment, so new blood tests would reflect the affects, if any, of IF

My reason for IF'ing are similar to others.
1. I was a few pounds from goal, and stalled. IFing got the last few off, but more importantly, has kept me there.

2. Digestive Issues. I am slowly healing myself naturally (well, with the help of my naturopathic doc!) from Ulcerative Colitis. I gave up grain, starch and sugar in March '07, and by adding IF, I am able to give my GI tract the rest it needs to continue to repair itself.

3. I'm SOOO much more in control of my eating, instead of eating being in control of me! I, like others, was a "grazer", rationalizing that it was okay because it has LC and healthy. No wonder I wasn't losing, I was eating (picking at food) all day long!! And I HAD to eat every few hours because I has so hungry, and to "keep my metabolism moving", right!? Isn't that what were told?? Whatever...all I know is, that didn't work for me. What does work is IF. Yes, it took a few days to get over those "hunger pangs" you get every 2-3 hours when you EAT ALL DAY! But now I am finally in control of my eating, and it's really impossible to explain that feeling in words

4. I also felt I was on my way to pre-diabetes. Both my parents have it (they eat a horrible Standard American Diet, but justify it by popping pills). I used to typically have "highs and lows", which I never knew what it was, thought I was weird. Only recently did I learn it was my blood sugar spiking. By eating within a small window, that is gone...I have even energy all day now.

My eating schedule is generally 19/5 (fast for 19 hrs and eat for 5 hrs). I typically eat between 1-6pm, but that may vary a few hours either way depending on 'life'. Because I am at goal, I am choosing to not be as strict during the holidays. The weird thing though is that even though I have "given myself permission" to be relaxed with my eating, I find I want to IF, I just feel more in control. By being "relaxed" I mean eating more, I still only eat LC, but I'm eating too much, BUT, I am not gaining.

I tried what others do, which is eating earlier in the day, as I noticed that once I open my window, I seem to eat too much and then am not hungry come 'dinner time'. Well....that didn't work!! I tried it the past 2 days, eating a large lunch (dinner portion) and thought I'd end with a "snack". Well, once I started eating I just kept wanting to eat!! So I think, like Kathy, I need to move my window to later in the day, not earlier. This is probably a bad month for me to be experimenting, because of the holidays.

QUOTE FROM OTTAWA
BTW: You're not the same woman who snorted Maple Syrup and later broke WISPR (World Insulin Spike Record) with a Stevia overdose, are you?

Crap! You found me out!! too funny...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 09:07

Plan: General LC
Stats: 240/235/155 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
QUESTION for IF'ers:

Prior to this, my tendency was to eat a larger meal in the middle of the day and just have coffee/tea/diet soda the rest of the time. I didn't know that it had a name! It was while I was working the evening shift that I figured out I lost weight the fastest on one big meal a day.

Unfortunately, a more flexible schedule as a student meant way more time to eat during the day, and I got into 2 meals plus snacks, justifying it with the keeping-metabolism-burning argument. I realized I was completely stalled, even with very low carbs, and tried out an old plan of Dr. Mike Eades - Thin So Fast. You replace two meals a day with protein shakes and have one chewable meal in the evening. The weight started falling off.

After I reached my goal, I did something really stupid. I went on my honeymoon and ate carbs with abandon - London, Dublin, Cork and Amsterdam provided quite the dose of potatoes in various forms! My reasoning was that I wanted to taste the things I'd never be able to have here, and then I'd get right back on plan after we got back. Famous last words...

So anyway, here I am, trying to lose the 30lbs I managed to regain over three months.

My reasons for IFing are very similar to what you've expressed, Karen. Even though I'm new at it, I'm finding some of the benefits similar to the Thin So Fast program. You don't have to think about food so much, and discipline seems to be much easier when it's a black and white choice between eating and not eating. I also like the freedom of not eating - I was at a Chanukah party this weekend where there was literally nothing LC-friendly except possibly a bowl of tomatoes. I just chilled out and drank diet soda and coffee and knew I could eat turkey when I got home and I wouldn't die of starvation in the meantime.

My window so far has been 22/2, with some slightly longer (24,26) fasts in there due to classes or stuff I didn't calculate around.

I'm up a bit in weight due to eating more and more often the other days this weekend (social eating), as well as some high sodium stuff like smoked meat.

For my first week I tracked fasting times and calories daily. To be honest, I can't keep that up without going a bit loopy, and I'd rather fall into a natural eating pattern. This week I'll write down fasting times, but I'm not going to enter all my stuff in FitDay. If I stall, I'll start that up again to troubleshoot.

I'd also like to say that I love reading the IF threads - you guys are full of fabulous information.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 11:15

Plan: M&E/IF/ZC
Stats: 191/141.2/135 Female 5 ft 8 in
BF:???%/23%/20%
Progress: 89%
Default Kathy's IF Story

My IF story begins on February 12th 2007. I read Dr. Eades blog entry and began right away with an all day fast, eating in the evening. I experimented with a long window but what works best for me is to eat one big meal with all I want and close my window. I do this every day.

I follow IF for the overall health benefits. My father is diabetic and had massive open heart surgery. My mother has rhuematoid arthritis, lupus, and genetically ridiculously high cholesterol. I have none of these, but boy am I a carb addict. I've used LC for more than 20 years--going off to have my children and three other times. In all of those instances, I gained massive amounts of weight and could not control my eating.

LC and IF give me complete control over those issues and the threats posed by my family's health history. No one has specifically mentioned the "inflammation" issues that IF helps with, so let me do that. Because of the chronic inflammatory diseases my mother has, I believe IF is imperative for me.

Do the research for yourself and see if IF is for you. Weight control is possible and improved health is a lifetime benefit we're all striving for. You'll find this forum to be helpful and supportive.

KB
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 11:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

MizKitty, totally agree with your assessment of IF. I'm on a very, very light IF schedule and I'm seeing vast improvements in my blood sugar too. I had a few blood tests in the past where my fasting BS was 95! Now it is in the 70-80 range. I never, ever get hypoglycemia any longer.

I think I have to give much of the credit to Paleo diet though. I've been absolutely steadfast for a couple months now, with one exception (dinner at PF Changs). I certainly give it credit for reducing my impulses to binge. Not cheating makes it easier to not cheat... odd how that works.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 12:35

Plan: Low Carb/Gluten Free/IF
Stats: 310.0/302.2/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Karen, thanks for starting the new thread---what great posts to address new people to!

I started IF after losing quite a bit of weight on Atkins over about 6 monts, but just getting bored with it all and needing something to kick start the rest of my journey....

I started back in July and have lost about 40 more lbs since then, for a total right now of 105lbs down.

If helps me control my eating as I have issues with eating too much of the wrong thing and late night eating, especially if I've been under stress or gone through something emotional. With IF, I get involved in other things instead of food, since I have long periods where I don't eat.

I work swing, so my window is early in the day, somewhere between 12-3, usually about a 1-2 hr window. I eat a good solid meal and oftimes a snack as well.

One of the other benefits of IF that I have found is that when I have eaten more/higher carbs than I should, I can just start again and get right back into it----I also find that my carb count can be a little higher--I might not lose that day but I don't gain either, so this lets me know that IF will really help me when I get to maintenance level.

The health benefits---I have more energy, I sleep better, I just "feel" better!! And I'm able to get more accomplished without having to prepare so many meals each day....

I really enjoy this way of life!

Ruth
Closed Thread