Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 04:39

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Have you tried Somersweet?

I am wondering if it is worth buying? When I was on Atkins I used Splenda but I don't like the aftertaste.

Any experience with Somersweet? I tried Suzanne's cheesecake recipe last night using Splenda and it came out okay but not great.

Sandy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

I bought the Somersweet duo. I like it pretty well. I have only used about 1/2 of one can. I only use it on my cereal. I haven't really ventured out to make any desserts. I need to though! It doesn't have that aftertaste like Splenda does. The Somersweet goes a long way too!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 03:50

BF:

Thanks, Natasha, I will buy some. It's pretty expensive though, on the website it is $14.95 for 2 cans, plus shipping. I am going to see if they carry it in the health food store.

I love Somersizing!!! I have already lost a few pounds !!!! I am not deprived as long as I can have fruit.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 10:36
Registered Member

Stats: 206.5/190/170
BF:not sure
Progress: 45%

It does seem expensive but it lasts you a very very very long time!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 10:58

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Watch out cooking with Somersweet.

It leaves a VERY bitter aftertaste when you cook with it. Made the caramel and topping for Creme Brulee and it was inedible. I don't notice any aftertaste with Sucralose (Splenda), though I do with Aspartame, Saccharine and Stevia... interesting how everyone is different.

I never cook with 100% of one kind of any artificial sweetener, I blend them. I've read all over the place that this helps to stop bitterness and other aftertastes with any of these sweeteners. I think that is what Suzanne has tried to do with the Somersweet blend, but still it can be very bitter when you cook with it. I "cut" it with Splenda, Stevia or Fructose to avoid that. Because I can't buy her sweetener anywhere but off her site I don't use it. I definitely would if it was available in stores though.

MB
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 18:42

BF:

Thanks for the informative replies! Mamabeek, mixing sounds like a great idea. I just was at the grocery store and bought a box of Fructose, Estee brand. I'll try mixing that with Splenda, too. I just want to make sugarless cheesecake with no aftertaste
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 19:21
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

Sandylee, I'm not crazy about the aftertaste of sweeteners, either. I do find that Splenda is easier to tolerate if I use less than what a recipe calls for. I haven't tried Somersweet because it is too expensive to ship to Canada (the price more than doubles when you factor in the exchange rate and duty).
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:16

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I don't have any SomerSweet, but on the discussion boards on the www.suzannesomers.com webiste, they suggest using less SomerSweet than Suzann's recipes give, about 1/3 less. That is supposed to eliminate the aftertaste.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 02:58

BF:

Kokie, I have been doing that with Splenda too, and I notice less of an aftertasted with that too. The only one that does not seem to have an aftertaste is fructose but I am not sure how much of that is okay to use.
Thanks for the reply.
Sandy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 06:55

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

On the Suzanne Somers website,in the community discussion forum, they say fructose is legal. I have used it only for making yummy home-made ice cream. Splenda is terrible for making ice cream. (I used Splenda in the packets)

I put Splenda in to taste. I don't notice an aftertaste with it. I heard the SomerSweet needs to be used in smaller proprotions than the recipes call for in order not to get that aftertaste.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:30

Stats: 230/135/126 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I used Somersweet in the past and found that sometimes it did have an aftertaste. I put it in Chocolate Mousse and ended up throwing it away. I haven't found an aftertaste with Splenda, but everyone's different.

My favorites are Sugar/not and Wheylow. I asked about Wheylow at Suzanne Somers' site and was told that they were still looking into whether or not it is legal. Using Wheylow doesn't spike my blood sugar and I think it is all natural. I get Sugar/not at www.dixiediner.com and Wheylow at www.wheylow.com Both are great companies to order from.

Abequa
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 17:39

BF:

Interesting, Abequa. And crystalline fructose spikes your blood sugar? As much as regular sucrose? I KNEW it was too good to be true. Fructose is delicious. No aftertaste at all. But the calories and carbs are just about identical to sugar. On the Somersizing website I notice a lot of people say Somersweet has an aftertaste. The only thing that keeps me from trying WheyLow is the word whey; I sometimes am lactose intolerant.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 23:50
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

I've heard of another sweetener called Thermosweet but haven't been able to figure out where to purchase it.
www.thermosweet.com
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 11:37
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Here's a website that I found useful. It has a lot of information on all the artificial sweetners.

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/lowcal.html

I had looked for information on whether or not the common sweetners release insulin or not and, for example, this is what they say about Sucralose (Splenda):

"Sucralose is beneficial for individuals with diabetes because research demonstrates that sucralose has no effect on carbohydrate metabolism, short- or long-term blood glucose control, or insulin secretion."

Dean
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 12:44

Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

The only thing about somersweet is that it contains Ace-K. Like Aspartame, the FDA says it's safe, while some groups say it's a health-risk. Same goes for Splenda, they say initial trials gave some disturbing info, even though it's been approved (this is just based on my searching the net for info on sweeteners).

Suzanne herself says fructose is no longer on the funky foods list, and somersweet is made with fructose so I've started using it (pure crystalline fructose) in place of Splenda. Depends how often you use sweeteners, but at least you know it's just sugar (albeit a low-glycemic form - only about 20 on the scale). If I find it stalls me then of course I'll try something else, but I suppose trying the natural stuff first is a good idea. Just my two cents.

p.s. I have an amazing cheesecake recipe that up to now I've made with Splenda. It's always turned out great. Let me know if you'd like the recipe.