Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/175/125 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Food for camping????

OK, so I got talked into going cold weather tent camping this Sunday night, which, here in Ohio, will be a low of 15...I'm promised a huge fire, they better deliver.

Anyway, I am the only girl in a group of beer-chugging, Chef-Boy-R-Dee eatin boys, and the only one on a diet. SO...what to bring. Got a steak to cook out, we do that for dinner, but I'm a loss for other stuff. Basically, food that takes little preparation, snacks, etc...Something that I can heat up will be nice, considering I'll be holding Freezemeister's hand for 48 hours. Any ideas? (Besides the most obvious one, to stay home under my woobie eating cheese....)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 21:08
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Okay, I don't know how much help I can be, but I loved this post, so must respond. First, reconsider the option of staying home under your woobie, whatever a woobie is. Can the woobie go with you?

But, if you do indeed go ahead with this absolutely insane idea, why not make up some cauliflower/cheese casserole and take it with you? How on earth you can heat it up I cannot imagine in 15 degrees, but I guess a pot or some aluminum foil might help.

Otherwise, beef jerky, salami sticks, pepperoni, some sort of ground beef with onions, green peppers, etc mix, pork rinds to dip into it, geen onion dip, whatever. Hot dogs?

Let us know how it turns out,

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 21:12

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

NUTS!

CHEESE!

Hard Boiled Eggs!

(gasp.. atkins bars, but you didn't hear that from me )

brobin
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 21:19
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

At 15 degrees, I'd rush right past the Atikns bars and go for the Atkins Endulge candy, but you didn't hear that from me, either!

Then there is the option of taking three dogs to keep you warm.

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 21:34

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

I made some chili with sausage and beef, a low carb spaghetti sauce diluted down with water and black soy beans, and spices. It had about 8 carbs for a nice size bowl. The black soy beans are from the Eden brand and have 1 net carb per serving. My dh loved it. Very hot on a cold day! Stay warm!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 22:08
Registered Member

Stats: 180/175/125 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Actually, yes, Kay, Have Woobie, will travel. My woobie is a full size fleece blanket, I gleefully wrap up in the thing every night when I watch TV. And as much as I hate torturing it after so many faithful nights, it's going to suffer right along with me. I have two basset hounds, but they aren't an option. THey suffer from permanent Odor disorder. Confining them to the tent was a once in a lifetime mistake.

Anyway, great ideas from everyone, thanks so much! I wrote them all down for my trip to the store. Better put Common Sense on the list, I must be lacking in this area to be doing this...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 06:02

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Sounds like fun!

I would probably make deep dish pizza - I may be very weird, but I LOVE it cold. I bet the boyz would too!!

Let us know how ya get on..
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-15-04, 14:04
This is my Life...

Stats: 202/188/140 Female 67
BF:?
Progress: 23%

Thankfully, this isn't something I've ever done (yet?). We've camped lots of places and when it was pretty cold, as in below freezing, but NOT 15 degrees. If you have the equipment, like covered pans- stroganoff would be rich and creamy and warm, chili, cheese soup or chowder
foil packets with meat and vegies (place in coals and turn til done), kabobs, fish wrapped in foil with butter and lemon pepper, anything you can grill including vegies but take foil to help contain the heat!
snacks could be spiced pecans, homemade gorp (nuts, coconut, etc), jerky, chunks of variety of cheese, etc
of course the eggs, bacon, onions, green peppers, etc for breakfast. Get the guys to start the hot water for coffee or tea before you get up! Have fun- will be waiting to hear how it went.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 10:42

Stats: 330/323/225 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:
Default Woobie, Woobie, Woobie

RedKat,

I thought I was the only goober who used the word "Woobie". You must be a Mr. Mom fan too.

I love to camp but haven't been since started LC. Have fun and bring your Woobie!

Bye,