Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 23:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Anyone have a redundant or tortuous colon?

Just had a colonoscopy and that came out of the exam. I've had bad constipation so maybe that's the cause. Curious how low carbers handle it since fiber is the thing that's recommended.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 23:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Well, many very low carb veggies have plenty of fiber. Dr Atkins talks about this under the constipation question , which can result when initiating the diet.

pumpkin....high fiber, makes great cheesecake
broccalli
radishes
olives
and the list goes on.

Do you include veggies ?? No offense meant, many are choosing no veggies as part of their eating program. Dr A recommends eating 3 cups a day from an allowable list.Two of lettuce and one of green beans or another.

Hope that helps.

My risk is colon cancer.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Dec-27-19 at 23:26.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 23:31

BF:

I do but a lot of veggies are restricted on the other things that helps: the low FODMAPS diet which I have been following. My go-to is summer squash for gut health But they also haven't been helping lately. I am using all of my tricks and nothing works. I swim now, though, and don't walk or run as much. I feel like if I got back into bodyweight exercises and walking/running, it would help. I moved four years ago from a neighborhood where I walked everywhere to a neighborhood where I mostly drive. But I walked a ton last summer and it just got worse. So not sure if it's controllable that way. I've been prescribed fiber (psyllium husks is what I take) and Miralax. Not happy about being dependent plus it's not exact so I feel like I flush out nutrition.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 00:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Just had a colonoscopy and that came out of the exam. I've had bad constipation so maybe that's the cause. Curious how low carbers handle it since fiber is the thing that's recommended.

Before LC, I had been eating a lot of every variety of veggie and sometimes two different on ones at a meal when I went LC. I was so sick from colon problems the only thing that finally worked for me was eliminating as much fiber as I could but it was a long road getting there because of what I was being told at the doctor was all wrong.

Google "Fiber Menace". I did a lot of what he suggested with permission from an authority, I finally healed.

The GI doctors have it all wrong. They are stuck on stupid telling people to eat more fiber and I just got sicker and sicker. All he wanted to do was sell me immune-suppresents which I did not take. I cured myself.
Meats, eggs, fats are your friend.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 00:51

BF:

this is my opinion. i'm not a doctor. but my knowledge of nutition is far more than most MDs....and Im still learning.

gi microbes. a huge variety should fill the gut. fermented foods. Unpasturized Acv, kombucha, yogurt, kimshi, and pill forms of most impotant ones. I started with pills, a small amount everyday and built up. Then added the others.

prebiotics. the microbes need food sources. jicima, asparagus and there are others.

i had fewer gi issues doing this. just needs daiky cinsistency.

bran fiber. U changed my thinkung about this . My gi doc said to taje consyl to orevent colon cancer. This flumoxed me as he drank his with oj. Chanfed to cheaoer wheat bran. Eventally made the jumo to real vegetabkes and berries as allowed on DANDR. AND the importance of the many kinds of important microbes, and how to suplly a source and feed them.

I no longer think bran is suitable for humans. We are not ruminants. Grains are a manmade food, too. Started 10,000 yrs ago. The big rumen digests most of the soluable fibers, but even rumens cannot digest fiber without the specialized microbes in the rumen.

In humans, the hind gut acts as a mini rumen. MINI. It is not a fiber digester. YET, we are told by doctors to eat bran. Makes no sense to me.

I have Meme, who raises cattle, to thank for putting this puzzle together about fiber.

Soo.... gentle fiber in vegetables and berries.

I need to refresh FODMAP info.....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 01:07

BF:

Low Fodmap diet.

Well,..... clearly my post above is the opposite of the recommendations.

The recommends is : do not eat from a very very long list. Fortunately, most of the items are not on vlc diets, like the grains. Many like mushrooms and onions are also on the list.....these are food for the good microbes.

The idea is to starve off the microbes that cause bloating.

My thought is supply the microbes that are beneficial. Crowding out the bad players, which is not elimination but lower percentage so they play nice.

Perhaps .....try a daily quality probiotic, with many strains, and follow low FODMAP for a couple weeks and see if its better or ,hopefully not, worse.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Dec-28-19 at 01:23.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 01:20

BF:

Another thing that would go straight to my Colon and cause immediate pain was the sugar free sweaters in See's candy. It took several painful experiments to prove this to myself.

At my sickest I would also experience immediate pain from anything with heat in it. Hot sauce, horseradish, chili peppers, jalapanio etc. I also used myself as a guinea pig to prove it to myself.
Raw veggies of all types, I completely stopped. 95%+- of it ends up in the Colon undigested, (read fiber menace to learn why)

While healing I ate a lot of pots of homemade chicken soup with no veggies, then later some onions very well cooked, celery came much later after I healed more.

The veggies I handle very well now are yellow squash and zucchini, well cooked.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 01:36

BF:

#9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 01:41

BF:

I was thinking the same as meme, cooking the foods is like starting the digestion process and making it easier on the GI .

For many people these foods can be a problem. beans, legumes, seeds,dairy, tomaro and pepper family.

despite the elimination of many foods, the list of what you can eat is still more than one.lol

also, it may sound silly, I chew my food MUCH longer. My jaw hurt when I started this. It was to extend my eating time, make me feel fuller and increase function of jaws and teeth (make stronger). The longer chewing mixes more saliva and the partcle size gets much smaller . Stewing breaks the particles down more so gican work.

also , i swig acv with meals. to increase stomache acid. and i dont drink more than a few sips with meals. save the big drink for later.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Dec-28-19 at 01:50.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 01:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I was thinking the same as meme, cooking the foods is like stating the digestion process and making it easier on the GI .

For many people these foods can be a problem. beans, legumes, seeds,dairy, tomaro and pepper family.

despite the elimination of many foods, the list of what you can eat is still more than one.lol

On that list of foods, yes you're right, I would stay away from all of them with the exception of cream, that had no bad effect at all in my coffee. No problem with coffee either.
I stayed off of cheese for quite a while.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 02:00

BF:

About the hot peppers, chili, Jalapeno or horserdish. Just think of it as putting it on a cut or open sore, or if you rub your eyes after cutting a pepper. That's the effect it has on the Sick Colon....
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 20:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Another thing that would go straight to my Colon and cause immediate pain was the sugar free sweaters in See's candy. It took several painful experiments to prove this to myself.

At my sickest I would also experience immediate pain from anything with heat in it. Hot sauce, horseradish, chili peppers, jalapanio etc. I also used myself as a guinea pig to prove it to myself.
Raw veggies of all types, I completely stopped. 95%+- of it ends up in the Colon undigested, (read fiber menace to learn why)

While healing I ate a lot of pots of homemade chicken soup with no veggies, then later some onions very well cooked, celery came much later after I healed more.

The veggies I handle very well now are yellow squash and zucchini, well cooked.

Yes, I find summer squash are the best prebiotics for me. I like to make tons and tons of ratatouille. It's super expensive right now, though. But I think I need it...
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 21:35

BF:

Just watches dr berry,s youtube video on magnesium.....most of us are deficient, yet it has hundreds of jobs.

Then watched hid GERD video. Much there to improve GI for everyone.

Maybe these are useful to u.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 00:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Just watches dr berry,s youtube video on magnesium.....most of us are deficient, yet it has hundreds of jobs.

Then watched hid GERD video. Much there to improve GI for everyone.

Maybe these are useful to u.

I do magnesium religiously! I think what happened is I had all of these "tricks" for bowel health - prebiotics, magnesium, exercise, fermented foods - and it all stopped working. I will have to figure out how to get back on track. I may be jumping ahead, too. I don't know if any abnormalities in my colon are causing the problems. Have to talk to the doctor first.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 10:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab

My son very well may have this though his GI has never done a scope. All of his symptoms are similar. We were on Miralax daily forever, but it didn't work that well and gave him painful gas and bloating. His doctor switched him to 64oz of water daily, eat more fiber (which he is NOT doing. He's 15 ), docusate sodium twice daily (which works by forcing more water absorption into the stool), and 1000mg or more of mag a day (with instructions to up it if necessary.) And also a 15-strain probiotic that contains bifidum infantum. It works really well for him now. One day when he is older he may have a scope done if the help stops working, but for now he is functional.

I hope you can take some help from some of that.