Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 18:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default KETO anyone?

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone else is doing keto. I've been doing it for awhile. I have more energy and my thoughts are clearer. Also I am hardly ever hungry. I will never go back and eat any other way. I've noticed we don't have a keto thread, so I thought we needed one. I hope this is the right place to start it. I have lost over 40 pounds so far and really only have 13 more pounds to go. For some reason I gained a couple pounds last Wednesday. Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason, it just happens. Go keto
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 18:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im glad you have discovered the marvels of being in ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 22:35

BF:

Oh yes nothing like it. I try and keep my carbs under 20. My kids are horrified that I eat fat, sometimes I just get a gob of butter and eat it. My son though has gone keto too. So we support each other. My daughter doesn't understand the concept of eating fat. I can't fault her though we all have been spoon fed low fat nonsense.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 08:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe we do need a safe space for Keto. It's become popular to say that once carbs are out of the way, the next roadblock is fat. That just hasn't been my experience--once I've cut carbs the the bone, if I have a tight limit on protein--not severely low, but tight to me requirements--fat appetite pretty much takes care of itself. I know this might not be everybody's experience, but at the same time, unless somebody keeps a food scale and a macro-counting app/website handy at all times, I have to be skeptical about whether their version of keto is really close enough to mine to draw the comparison. This isn't me saying my version of keto is the "right" version. More like, within keto, there are still variations worth trying.

People are horrified at butter-snacking. When's the last time you saw somebody go on a pure butter binge? I'll eat more milkfat, be more likely to binge, on cheese than on pure butter, any day. And if I've already hit my requirement for protein etc. from the cheese elsewhere, what good is the fact that the cheese is a more "whole" food than the butter doing me?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: P.L.A.N
Stats: 302/290/253 Male 187
BF:
Progress: 24%

My second ex wife a staunch low fat vegetarian would have divorced me again today if she saw the huge chunk of butter I scrambled my eggs in followed by drinking the left over butter right off the plate...followed by pork belly (50% fat portion) for dinner
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 09:53

BF:

I have to eat fat, or i am hungry all day. I have noticed when I bring a cheese/ salami tray to get togethers, it goes quickly. I think most people go for fat because we were designed to eat it. They don't realize it. My son has lost 30 pounds so far, he has about 100 pounds to go. I'm proud of him, I always talk up keto to keep him interested and motivated. I got some Premier Protein and added about 1 tbsp to my BPC this morning. A serving is at least 1/4 cup if not more, they provided a scoop. So I know I didn't get the calories or carbs that an entire scoop would have provided. I also put my butter and hwc in it. I feel like I ate a complete bk. When in fact I was lucky to get a couple carbs, if that. I should measure out so i can know for a fact if it is 1/4 cup or more. Well today i will be attending a picnic. I will bring a keto dish, and if things go like they have, i won't be bringing anything back. Have a great day, go keto.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 10:30

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone else is doing keto. I've been doing it for awhile. I have more energy and my thoughts are clearer. Also I am hardly ever hungry. I will never go back and eat any other way. I've noticed we don't have a keto thread, so I thought we needed one. I hope this is the right place to start it. I have lost over 40 pounds so far and really only have 13 more pounds to go. For some reason I gained a couple pounds last Wednesday. Sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason, it just happens. Go keto

This entire website is about ketogenic diets. Almost everyone here is "doing keto".

Congratulations on your fabulous success with this WOE.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 11:54

BF:

But I figured we needed a dedicated thread. So we can get our questions answered and celebrate our successes.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 12:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think I would differentiate between "Keto" and many of the other low carb diets. In many facebook groups with "keto" in the title, I'll see things like "ketosis is like pregnancy, you're in it or you're not." That makes me wince, if level of ketosis doesn't matter, I don't see why "Keto" needs to be in the name of the plan. When I say I'm on a ketogenic diet, I mean that I'm eating in such a way that hopefully my blood ketones are high enough to be a real world significant portion of what my brain burns for energy. Not that I'd want anybody kicked out of the club for targeting blood ketones around .5 mM. But I wouldn't mind being in a keto group that doesn't think that ketones hardly matter at all.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 16:08

BF:

Exactly, you and I are of the same mind. That being said I will discuss keto with anyone who posts. There are newbies and seasoned folks that have been at it for awhile. I think we can learn from one another.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 19:17

BF:

I went to a picnic today. Passed up the chips, and the dessert. Instead I filled my plate with a hamburger Patty with mayo and mustard and a hotdog. I also had a few condiments on the side. I was absolutely stuffed. My friend tried to get me to try some pie, I absolutely told her truly that I couldn't handle anymore food. I don't plan on eating again until tomorrow. If for chance I get hungry I will consume fat. The old me would have required something by now. I just love this way of eating. Go keto
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-18, 14:17

BF:

It sure is a beautiful day today. I can say that because I have air conditioning. I wouldn't be saying that if I had to suffer thru the heat. Who is your favorite keto guru on YouTube. Mine is Dr Ken Berry, and Dr Eric Berg. They have answered all my questions.

I went to church this morning and had more then one person remark how much weight I've lost. So people have noticed. I'll be glad to lose the last little bit, but I realize I have to be patient. I've actually come a long ways compared to a year and a half ago. Go keto
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-18, 18:52

BF:

We had another hot day today, but according to the weather it is supposed to cool down. Stayed on my plan today. I counted my carbs that I ate, and I only had about 10 carbs. Most of my calories were from fat, with a little protein. But the fat out weighed the protein. My son has lost another 10 pounds the last couple of days. He's doing really well. I told him though he will probably slow down but not to be discouraged.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-18, 16:37

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I began low carbing in very early 2015. At that time all I did was cut out anything that tasted sweet. Losing a quick 25 pounds, I decided to cut out the bread too. Then I gradually became a more educated low carber. Sometimes very strict, other times just keeping the lifestyle. After a lackadaisical summer eating loosely low carb with lots of low carb desserts, I’ve decided to commit back to weight loss mode. At a BBQ the other night,everyone was talking about vacation weight gain. I was eating a cheeseburger sans bun as I always do, and I said (using the popular vernacular), “next week I’m starting back serious keto.” And my neighbor responded, “is that what they’re calling Atkins these days?”

I’m thrilled that ketogenic eating has entered the public consciousness. I’ve become quite the evangelist and have had some dramatic converts. My nephew’s lost sixty pounds. And In addition to being down fifty pounds, My sister is off her reflux and blood pressure meds. As she’s fond of saying, this “isn’t a diet, it’s just how I eat now.”

After more than three years, people have gotten used to seeing me at this size, so I don’t get as many acquaintances asking me what I’ve done, but I sometimes drop my weight loss into conversations with fat people. And I always tell them I realized it wasn’t the fat content it was the carbs. Now I eat whatever I want. I just don’t eat bread (starches) or sugar. Of course, it’s more complex than that, but a seriously overweight person needs to start somewhere.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-18, 16:51

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
My kids are horrified that I eat fat, sometimes I just get a gob of butter and eat it. My son though has gone keto too. So we support each other. My daughter doesn't understand the concept of eating fat. I can't fault her though we all have been spoon fed low fat nonsense.

Don’t know if my kids are a little younger - my oldest is 21. But they don’t have any anti fat bias. Not sure if it’s from seeing how I eat or a gradual culture shift, but I do think things are changing. I was at a First Communion in the Spring, and the priest was asking the kids why Jesus chose bread and one of the second graders raised his hand and answered, “Because bread is bad for you?”

Last edited by tess9132 : Sat, Aug-25-18 at 16:57.