Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-21, 14:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I do mine mostly without cheese these days also - just crushed pork rinds and eggs (paffles anyone?)

My teens were not keen one the standard egg/ mozz chaffle but I bet the crushed pork rinds might appeal to them !!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-21, 05:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Okay, this thread has DONE it: I just ordered a Dash mini waffle maker.

We have restricted cabinet/counter space, so I try not to buy gadgets which can't be thrown in a drawer. But this really appeals, especially since it is summer, and I just don't want to cook.

Something I can blend and pour with easy cleanup might just be the right choice right now. I make my griddle muffins in two-meal batches since I crush a whole bag of pork rinds. But there's no reason I can't crush the whole bag, then store it.

Gotten heavily into sandwiches of all kinds, using seaweed or coconut wraps. This sounds perfect for hamburgers!

Also: a couple of chaffles will contribute to a MEAL in ways the wraps, which are mostly fiber, do not.

Thanks, all. Will be experimenting and appreciate all the fine ideas in this thread
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-21, 06:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Have fun! Your griddle muffins work nicely on mine. My go-to recipe now is the one in my post above from Apr 15. I've actually memorized it, which rarely happens.

If you're nervous about the fiber, it would probably work fine without it - I use it to improve the texture of the final product, and it makes less of a mess if the batter is really thick.

New tip: I ditched the oil spray and replaced it by using a little container of oil (I use a ramekin) and a silicon pastry brush between chaffles. I don't even remember why I bought the pastry brush. Heh. It's probably from the dollar store. I toss it in the dishwasher afterwards.

I feel you on the "don't wanna cook in summer." I don't mind it early in the morning and/or on a cooler, rainy or overcast day... but it's nice just to whip up a sandwich or two.

I have no idea whether these would freeze well or not because there are never enough left over.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 18:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I was just saying to myself as I looked wistfully out the front door, What I need is something to look forward to in the mail!

Then I landed by sheer chance (?) on this thread! Guess who ordered a mini-waffle maker from amazon.

Now I'll have some reading to do, recipes and all.

Meanwhile, does anyone experienced with OMM know if the OMM batter can cook successfully in the mini-waffle iron? I'd probably be inclined to try it, but would like to avoid a messy disaster if someone already knows the answer.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 02:16
Forum Moderator

BF:

Welcome to the club, Barbara - your membership kit should follow in the mail shortly.

I don't think I've ever tried anything with flax in it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only slight problem I can imagine is maybe the flax tasting burnt on the outside of the waffle, from the direct heat that it wouldn't get in the microwave. Have you ever made a flax pancake? I'm not sure I ever had, but if that worked, the waffle iron should work, too. To avoid a mess, I would just try to keep the batter fairly thick. Maybe let it sit for a few minutes for the flax to "do its thing" and get goopy.

For cooking time, it's a pretty trustworthy rule of thumb that you cook it until the light goes out.

Let us know if you try it!

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Jan-12-22 at 02:25.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 05:17

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I had mine sitting in the cabinet through summer and fall. Now that the holidays are over and the winter is deepening, I will dig into that assortment of savory pork rinds I stockpiled.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 11:47

BF:

The Chaffle Apprentice is ready:

--very thin-sliced Colby jack? Check.
--pork rinds? Check
--eggs? Check (lots!)
--oil spray? Check
--pepperoni? Always on hand

Now, only to wait by the door until tomorrow. Amazon prime is pretty dependable.

The only downside I see in the YouTube demos: I'm accustomed to putting my mug muffin in the microwave for a minute. The Dash thingie looks to take five or more. This will require a substantial attitude change, perhaps related to my New Year resolution to be more patient.

Perhaps someone else has envisioned the Chaffle as therapy?
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 19:47
Forum Moderator

BF:

Heh heh! I guess they all have a different texture and hence cooking time; you'll have to play with your recipes a bit. My most recent one (post # 45) only takes 1:40. It would be too dried out if I did it much longer than that. They come out soft and bendy like slices of bread. I think the cheesey ones, like the original mozza/egg, do take longer.

I can't imagine one that takes 5:00 or more.

There are so many variations, though, and I haven't played with them much.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-22, 07:32

BF:
Default Like a charm!!

The mini-waffler arrived last evening. Thank you, amazon.

This morning, the experiment began. I'm delighted to report that (contrary to other experience with new gadgets) it worked exactly as advertised.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for good advice in advance, and a lot of links.

I made two basic Chaffles according to the Steve method: thin slices of Colby jack cheese, and some well-beaten egg. from the spouse.

Then I used our usual OMM recipe to make a couple of plain flaxseed waffles. They did not stick to the grid (oiled from the first chaffles, but no more). Then I used the rest of the flaxseed mix to make another one with shredded cheddar top and bottom. Both versions were fluffy and tasty, if rather bland, and the cheese one had a bit of crispy texture. In the future, I'll be using more seasonings. One batch of mug muffin mix (what I'd use for a single) made at least two waffles. I was being very careful to avoid overflow. More experimentation ahead on this.

Next stop: pizza chaffles for lunch.

If nothing else, this gadget is fun, and lends itself to new adventures in the kitchen. I don't especially miss bread, but the OMM in waffle form lends itself to some variety in the morning, with spreads like peanut butter (I used some today) or cream cheese.

So, after three years or so of this thing being "all the rage", I'm finally on trend.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-22, 16:02

Plan: low carb/keto
Stats: 234.8/215.2/154 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

Ahh, chaffles! I'd forgotten about these lovely things!

I'm going to have to find where I stashed the waffle maker and have a go next week. So many options...
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-22, 21:05
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

I am of the school of chaffle making that uses just cheese and eggs.

I just love them. I don’t care if they even taste a little eggy, which I really haven’t noticed.

If I cook them long enough, they are a little crispy and hold up better to fillings like a juicy burger.

I could eat sandwiches for every meal with these things and never get tired of them.