Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

ItsTheWooo said,

Quote:
I personally think that for most people, living on induction is not healthy. While it may be possible to get all your nutrients, it is far more difficult to do than when eating a diverse diet. It certainly would require a conscious effort to rigidly structure your meals: you would need to choose certain foods and make sure you eat them to avoid deficiencies. Then there is the psychological factor. Eating more carbs and allowing yourself more choices (low sugar fruits and nuts, for example) may be the difference between success and failure for some.

Induction is not a time period as many believe. Ongoing weigh loss is required before moving off induction. Any weight gain requires moving back down in the carb level and staying there. I gain weigh by eating one small apple per day. I have run all kinds of test in the last four years. Most nuts do the same thing. Actually, eating low sugar fruit and nuts are one of the main reasons people fail to lose weight on the low-carb diet.

Many people think the Atkins’ low-carb induction phase is lacking essential nutrients because of lies propagated by opponents. Their reference is the US Food & Drug Administration (USFDA) Nutritional Guide for Daily Values (DV) as shown on all nutrition labels.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Guide Pyramid was developed by vegetarians with an agenda. Nathan Pritikin and Senator George McGovern were the perpetrators. There is no science behind the Food Guide Pyramid. It was a scam from the beginning. A make believe nutritional plan to limit the consumption of animal products. The results has been rampant heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, intestinal diseases and a medical handbook full of other ailments.

The USFDA Nutritional Guide is based on the Food Guide Pyramid. This is easily proven. Simply go to a food count book or http://www.fitday.com and enter a 2000 calorie diet exactly according to the pyramid. The results will show every nutritional requirement to be perfectly achieved. It’s all a scam. No science is involved in the establishment of the daily nutritional requirements.

In contrast, the Eskimos with whom Arctic explorer Stepansson lived for several years beginning in 1906 ate only salmon. They ate salmon three times a day. They ate salmon for snacks. They ate salmon for dessert. The heads were especially prepared and were highly praised as a delicacy. The medical and nutritional experts of the day claimed this was not possible. They claimed the Eskimos would surely get scurvy because the fish contained no vitamin C, no fruit and no vegetables. Nutritional food count books and programs say the same thing today. But the Eskimos did not get scurvy. The “experts” continue to claim a very low-carb diet is not sufficient for long-term health. Actually, the lower the carbohydrate level the better the long term health. The Eskimos proved modern nutritional rules to be nonsense. The Eskimos had no heart disease, no cancer, no osteoporosis and absolutely perfect teeth without a single cavity in the entire population.

One must discard the modern nutritional myths and start over with real science in order to correctly understand human nutritional requirements. The scientific human requirement for carbohydrates is zero. Fruit is nature’s candy. Fructose in an apple is the same as fructose in a Coke sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Fructose is fructose. Atkins’ allowance of some berries with a few antioxidants was a neat move to take the heat off. He did so instead of forbidding all fruit that seems like a very harsh limitation to modern day fruit worshipers. Eating berries shouldn’t be taken as a requirement of any kind. It just helped sell books. The better attitude is to assume a few berries won’t harm one’s health very much.

After all, the body can convert 58% of protein to glucose. Eating carbs is not required to restore glucose stores. That is just simply scientifically false.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Sun, Apr-25-04 at 15:26.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 15:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The Eskimos proved modern nutritional rules to be nonsense. The Eskimos had no heart disease, no cancer, no osteoporosis and absolutely perfect teeth without a single cavity in the entire population.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, Kent, but in all fairness, the Eskimos to whom you refer also lived in an environment largely free from pollutants and environmental stressors. Most of us don't have that luxury today. Since pollutants increase physiological stress and promote free-radical production (and are virtually inescapable in today's environment), it would seem prudent to me to increase the amount of antioxidant rich foods that we eat in response to that. Some berries (particularly blueberries) provide a nice sized antioxidant punch for the amount of carbs they provide as well as being pleasant "medicine" to take. Yes, I know you can also get a lot of antioxidants from vegetables as well, but I'm not willing to go as far as to say that eating berries is, at best, not terribly harmful, especially if your CCLM is in the typical range of 40-60 grams per day.
I'll have to see if I can find it, but a while back I read an article regarding Inuits who are still following their traditional diet (I believe in Nova Scotia) who are seeing an increase in disease rates, particularly cancer, because of the pollutants that are finding their way into their traditional food supply.

Edited to add: Found a Link to the article I referred to above: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ighlight=Inuits

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Apr-25-04 at 18:22.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 18:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 165/154/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default metabolism problems unique to Western culture

I see people who eat anything they want and never gain or have problems. The healthiest people are those that work hard and eat a variety. That is what the body was intended for, motion, movement. And foods mostly in their raw unrefined state. In western culture several generations have consumed a good bit of frankenfoods and I feel this has had a domino effect to the next generation. our bodies are not sure what to do anymore. Hormones come in from meats, chemicals rain down from the sky. And other cultures live on vegtables, rice and some lean meats with longevity. So who has all the answers. Go ask God, he created us and he knows best how to maintain that which he created. He has given us herbs, fruits,vegtables and animals. labor 6 days rest one. He did not say sit at computer, sit watch TV, sit at your desk. These are all things we have done to ourself and now have to adjust to our lazy lifestyle.