Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 18:18
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

It's not in the book anywhere thaat I've read.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Everyone who test "protein type" on the Metabolic Typing Diet, no problem. All humans are the protein type on the basis of long term best health.

The problem is the people who test "carbohydrate type" on the Metabolic Typing Diet. The carb type diet is bad for everybody on a long term basis.

Therefore, what good is the Metabolic Typing Diet test? WORTHLESS.

What about the obese that test "carbohydrate type." Should they continue to stuff the carbs. Dr. Atkins nor Drs. Michael and Mary Eades all strongly disagreed with that nonsense.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Mon, Mar-29-04 at 20:05.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 20:47
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I don't think that would happen. Hasn't happened yet that I've seen. However I have seen plenty of people who are thin/slim test as the carbo type. I've also seen plenty of obese test as mixed or protein.
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 21:46

The Metabolic Typing Diet supporters on this thread have one strange thing in common. They tested "protein type" but are encouraging others to eat the high-carb diet if they test that way. They are missing the major benefit for the low-carb lifestyle --- better health. Low-carb is not just about weight loss. My wife had Crohn's disease (intestinal disease) and dropped to 92 pounds at 5'-3". She was always a very high-carb eater. She hated meat, especially red meat. I had a most difficult time getting her to eat low-carb. She thought her weight would drop even more. No so. She gained 14 pounds to 106 and must now be careful she doesn't gain more. It cured her Crohn's disease which renown organizations like the Mayo Clinic say is incurable. So, I put the program I developed to heal her on a web page. Low-carb is the best diet for everyone, even skinny people.

Metabolic Typing Diet supporters miss the major point.

CARBS KILL everyone of all types.

Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, IBD, IBS, Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis & Candida.

Ok, Ok. We should all agree that marathon runner James F. Fixx was a fast burner and most certainly would have tested carb type. He thought so. It killed him early in life just like it did marathon runner Brian Maxwell, developer of the PowerBar. See post above.

James F. Fixx wrote two books on the health benefits of exercise and running, but he died in 1984 from a heart attack at a young age of 52 in his running shoes on a daily run. Many try to cover the facts by blaming it on his heredity or smoking which he quit nine years earlier, but Fixx developed severe coronary artery disease during his running years. He had near total occlusion by atherosclerosis of one coronary artery and 80% occlusion of another. There was also evidence of a recent heart attack. In addition, the heart was somewhat large suggesting the possibility of concurrent hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Exercise and low-weight certainly helped him, but that could not overcome the disastrous effects of his diet. Fixx bought into the myth that fat in the diet is unhealthy when in fact it is essential to life. He also became a vegetarian and refrained from eating meat. Fixx bought into the new philosophy that runners needed high levels of carbohydrates in their diets. He ate a very low-calorie diet in order to keep from gaining weight on the excessive level of carbohydrates. He failed to take any vitamins, minerals or other supplements on the false premise that his vegetarian diet could provide them. He undoubtedly suffered from an amino acid deficiency compounded by an essential fatty acid deficiency and further compounded by a refusal to supplement with vitamins and minerals. Amino acids from protein are the building blocks of life, and it is difficult to obtain all of the amino acids required by one's diet without eating meat, fish and fowl. The effects of these deficiencies take many years to manifest themselves, and the resultant disease can be just about anything in the book. This makes it extremely difficult to pinpoint the cause and effect of a low-fat, low-protein diet on one's health. People fail to understand that the minimum requirement for carbohydrates in the diet is zero - none.

Kent
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 06:54
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Well lets not mix apples and oranges. What's that got to do with anything? Those are individual cases. Neither your wife nor Fixx were tested metabolically. If they were perhaps they would have tested protein or mixed type.

The diseases mentioned are a result of too much carbs/wheat/processed foods in the diet. Additionally, many runners/exercisers die young of heart attacks. It's a common occurance having little to do with diet and much to do with sudden stresses on the heart. The Typing Diet says that the only type that would do well on a vegetarian diet are some carb types but not the majority of carb types. Too Metabolic Typing says that while carb types TOLERATE processed carbs better than the others, NO TYPE should really overdo them. For carb types no more than 60% of the diet should come from carbs and that 60% includes fruits and starchy vegetables as well. The book further makes the point that all grains should be whole grains. And that any diet should include supplements in the modern world.

So what we are left with are diseases that are caused too many carbs/processed foods in the system. And two individuals who weren't tested for metabolic typing. I would like to remind you that the result of metabolic typing is an optimum diet for the INDIVIDUAL. The diet on which that individual will THRIVE and their system will OPERATE EFFICIENTLY and BE HEALTHY on.

To me that means that the person will not have diseases induced by their diet. If they do, obviously their diet is out of balance, i.e. the protein, carb, fat ratios are wrong, from the wrong sources or they are on the wrong diet.

An illuminating factor is that your wife now has to be careful that she doesn't gain weight on lc. Perhaps she is really a mixed type and now that her condition caused by diet imbalance is controlled and healed, she should introduce more complex carbs into her system until her weight is balanced and easily maintained in her ideal range.

Nothing you have posted refutes the presumption of the Metabolic Typing Diet.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Tue, Mar-30-04 at 07:12.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 07:29
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

So how do we sweep under the carpet the vast societies whose primary subsistence is white rice, do we just ignore them?
And as far as not knowing any diets/books that recommend white flour/rice, Duke's rice diet has been renowned as a very successful weight loss regimen which has shown long term efficacy in several studies.
My point is that people are different. I don't necessarily buy into the metabolic typing (or the eat right for your blood type silliness). A simple examination of cultures throught the world will quickly bring to light huge discrepancies in diets. And within each individual culture there are those that are not successful, that are too thin or are obese.
Any time we start trying to encompass entire populations, we tend to find that generaliztions don't work very well.

H

Last edited by Heath : Tue, Mar-30-04 at 07:41.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 07:57
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Exactly. Metabolic typing is based on the individual, not on the makeup of the majority of any population.

I think a lot of the stridency of advocates of specific eating plans would subside if they would accept that one program does not work for everyone on the earth and that there are differences in optimum dietary needs at the individual level.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 08:27

People who BELIEVE the Metabolic Typing Diet scam are obviously NOT low-carb supporters. The two are mutual exclusive. To make matters worse the books about the Metabolic Typing theory are not in agreement as noted in earlier posts on this tread.

Yikes... The 60% carbohydrate diet as suggested by the Metabolic Typing Diet is the Standard American Diet (SAD) and the foundation of the USDA Food Pyramid Guide that is coming under increasing attack for good reason. This is the very reason diabetes and obesity has become a crisis in all English speaking countries.

The Metabolic Typing Diet is the CAUSE for heart disease, diabetes and cancer for everyone who tests "carb type" and tries to live it. Carbohydrates are scientifically proven to cause diseases. The actual results and scientific proof is beyond question.

Absolute Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Are Pathogenic.

Another book scam is Eat Right 4 Your Type which gives opposite results to the Metabolic Typing Diet results. Actually, they are both wrong.

Kent
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 08:32

I am an Engineer and Scientist and we don't accept "feely-touchy" theories as presented in the Metabolic Typing Diet. A 60% carbohydrate diet as recommended by the Metabolic Typing Diet is disease causing.

The Metabolic Typing Diet is the wrong diet in a majority of cases. This type of sloppy results invalidates the theory. An Engineering or Scientific theory must be correct 100% of the time. One incorrect results invalidates the theory completely and it must be discarded. This is why I like Dr. Atkins diet and Protein Power. They are based on solid science.

Kent
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:28
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I agree that science is based on proven theories. However, humans have been the exception to every scientic rule ever devised. There has never been 100% of a human population that reacted the same to anything, except the need for food and water and even then they are capable of surviving without each for different periods of time.

You still haven't convinced me. And I am a supporter of low carb. For those people for which it works. As to 60% levels of Metabolic Typing being the same as that of the food pyramid. It's not. The food pyramid doesn't count carbs. It does count starches. But Metabolic Typing like lc programs count carbs as carbs whether they be fruits, vegetables, starches or any food. Also that 60% is a max and the mixed type needs carbs but at a smaller ratio.

BTW Carbohydrates taken alone ARE NOT scientifically proven to cause disease. Rather a diet high in carbs are proven to cause disease in SOME people, especially refined carbs, sugar carbs and trans fats taken together.

Just because you say something in an assertive enough voice often enough doesn't make it an absolute.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Tue, Mar-30-04 at 10:38.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 19:54

The USDA Food Pyramid Guide is based on 60% carbs or 300 grams in a 2000 calorie per day diet. My web pages have links to the pyramid all over the place to confirm. Another easy way is to simply read the nutrition label on any food. Check the grams of carbs and the percent of daily value. Correct for 100% and the answer is always 300 grams of carbs. Four calories per gram equals 1200 calories or 60%.

Metabolic Typing Diet supporters use themselves are a wonderful example when they test "protein type" and gain all the health benefits of the low-carb diet. The theory is touted as if all of the metabolic theories were true.

Yet, examples of professional athletes dying from heart attacks at ages 51 and 52 are dismissed as not have been proven it way caused by their high-carb diet.

The biggest problem with the Metabolic Typing Diet is the claim that a high-carb diet is healthy for those people who burn carbs easily. That claim is wrong. Carbohydrates are unhealthy for everyone.

Younger people in their 20's and 30's run marathons, 10k races, triathalons on a very high-carb diet. They think they are awesome until insulin resistance starts to show its ugly head in the 40's. So, they push harder not knowing the insulin is plugging up their heart arteries. BOOM - Dead at 51 and 52. No surprise here.

I know a female marathon runner in her mid 40's named Sarah. She came in second in her age category. I warned her about the high-carb diet, but she would not listen. She said protein and fat would "bulk her up and slow her down." BOOM - Body collapse with so many muscle, tendon and ligament problems that she was having trouble walking. No more marathons. At last contact she what eating more protein and fat to get back to normal activity. Oh, yes. She would have certainly tested fast burner carb type on the Metabolic Typing Diet.

Kent
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 21:39
Finding the Pieces

BF:

But the point is that she wasn't tested so you don't know what she would have tested as.

Additionally even Dr. Atkins says that athletes should not be eating low carb as they need carbs to expend. Perhaps their error was to continue eating the same way into their 40S when they didn't need that level of carbs for performance.

As I said before humans are outside a scientific experimental norm. They are unique. I know plenty of people especially elderly who grew up in a more rural environment who have no sign of diabetes, heart desease or high blood pressure and their in their 80's and 90's. What about them. We can talk all day about specific instances that prove each of our case. The problem with you case is that some of mine, these people, don't fit your case that EVERYONE needs a lc diet.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein & Atkins
Stats: 262/246/170 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Are you, the fast oxidizers, also Blood Type O? Just curious.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 15:17
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I'm not blood type O. Metabolic Typing says that blood type can't really be a determinent for what you should be eating that it might have been in prehistoric days as there has been so much intermingling of peoples across native species lines.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 15:31

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%

Quote:
So how do we sweep under the carpet the vast societies whose primary subsistence is white rice, do we just ignore them

Look carefully at the REAL statistics on those societies. Yes.. really go look.
Don't believe what the PCRM states, or the liberal media that for some reason really LOVE the carb way of eating.
You will find that while you have a slim people you have high rates of heart disease, diabetes and stroke.