Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Fluffy Chix Low Carb Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free White Bread

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. Used to post here so long ago, I forgot my login information so created a new one!

I love to cook but have several food challenges. So I have adapted and am developing recipes that allow me to eat comfort foods while still adhering to my woe.

I finally finished developing a low carb bread mix that is gluten free, soy free and nut free and doesn't depend on wads of cheese to tons of eggs to get it to stick together! The texture is very much like white bread and the taste is really delicious. No need to mask the flavor with spices or cheeses like with so many low carb mixes!

You can use the low carb bread mix for other baked goods like muffins, pizza, even cornbread! I'm in the testing stages with it now.

Hope you try it and let me know if you like it. There is a full write up with tons of pics on my blog but it would be too long to post it here.

Fluffy Chix Low Carb, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free White Bread Mix
Yield – 19 Tbsp (Recipe can be doubled or tripled)
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – None, this is a base mix
Difficulty – Easy

Ingredients
6 Tbsp Pork Rinds, plain, pulverized to crumbs
4 Tbsp Coconut Flour, measure before sifting
3 Tbsp Whey Protein Powder, Natural Flavor*
2 Tbsp Oat Fiber
2 Tbsp Old Fashioned Gluten Free Oats Rolled, measure before grinding
2 Tbsp “Base” GF SF NF (Choose your favorite – or see below for the 3 I tested)**

Directions
Grind an entire 3-3/4oz Bag of plain pork rinds down into crumb texture. I use either Bakenets or Hill Country Pork Skins. Store crumbs in Mason jar or baggie for later use. Freeze between use to preserve freshness.

Measure coconut flour, then sift into ingredients.

Measure rolled oats, grind in coffee grinder to coarse flour and add to ingredients.

Combine remaining ingredients into jar. Seal and shake to combine well. The mixture should be fluffy and well mixed. Shake thoroughly before each use.

Nutrition Information Per Tablespoon of Bread Mix:
Per Tablespoon
Calories 18kcal
Fat 0.5g
Carbs 2.7g
Fiber 1.4g
Net Carbs 1.3g/Tbsp
Protein 1.2g

Only 5.2g Net Carbs per 1/4c of Bread Mix!!!

Notes:
*Whey Protein Powder, Natural Flavor – Feel free to use whey protein concentrate if you prefer. You can also use whey protein concentrate from grass fed cows for a better dairy option. If you are sensitive to dairy, I would suggest subbing the whey concentrate for another protein such as hemp, pea, rice, or veggie protein mixes. You are looking for protein to improve the structure of the bread.

**GF SF NF Bases: Choose your favorite or one of the three I tested. Be sure to see SusieT’s Notes for my review of the three GFSFNF Bases!

This is the Fluffy Chix Formulation for Fluffy Chix Moderate Carb GFSFNF Multi-Purpose Base used in the Bread Mix recipe:

Fluffy Chix Moderate Carb Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free Multi-Purpose Bake Mix
Yield – 9 Tbsp (Recipe can be doubled or tripled)
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – None, this is a base mix
Difficulty – Easy

Ingredients
3 Tbsp Brown Rice Flour
1 Tbsp Sorghum Flour
1 Tbsp Coconut Flour, measure before sifting
3 Tbsp Resistant Corn Starch
1 Tbsp Chickpea Flour (Garbanzo Bean Flour)

Directions
Measure coconut flour, then sift into ingredients.

Combine the remaining ingredients using the scoop and level method. Pour into a jar. Seal and shake jar to combine ingredients. Shake mix well before each use.

Nutrition Information for Fluffy Chix LCGFSFNF Multi-Purpose Base per Tablespoon:
Calories 28kcal
Fat 0.3g
Carbs 7.3g
Fiber 2.4g
Protein 0.4g
Net Carbs 4.9g/Tbsp

Only 19.6 Net Carbs per 1/4c (This is only a moderate carb gluten free mix. That's why you cut it to make the low carb bread mix above!)

I will post the bread recipe in the next post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 14:41
Registered Member

BF:

Fluffy Chix Low Carb, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free White Bread

Click on the images to enlarge!

Yield – 2 Buns or 4 Slices of Bread, 3” to 3-1/2” Wide (Recipe can be cut in half or doubled)
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cooking Time – 1 Minute
Difficulty – Easy

Ingredients
8 Tbsp LC_GFSFNF Bread Mix
1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp Glucomannan or Xanthan Gum
3 Tbsp Greek Yogurt, plain
4 Tbsp Egg Whites
1-2 Tbsp Filtered Water (only if needed)
¼ tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg’s Unfiltered preferred)

Directions
Shake LC_GFSFNF Bake Mix before use to fluff mixture up and recombine ingredients.

Measure mix using the scoop and level method. Add salt, baking powder and glucomannan and toss with a spoon to combine.

Add yogurt and egg whites. Stir to combine. If mixture feels too sticky, add water one tablespoon at a time. Combine then add another tablespoon if necessary. Mixture should be thick and gloopy but not so stiff it feels tight.

Line small, flat 3” to 3-1/2” ceramic or glass bowl with parchment paper.

Add vinegar just before pouring batter into parchment lined bowl. Mix well and pour batter into bowl.

Microwave on high. Each microwave will vary for time. Some take 40seconds, others 1minute-10 seconds depending on the size of the bowl and the strength of the microwave.

When bread is done, remove from bowl and immediately turn over onto cooling rack to allow moisture on the bottom side to dry out. The center of the bread should be firm and not wet, but watch to avoid overcooking or edges will get tough.

Allow to cool before splitting bun into “slices” of bread. Store in air tight container in ice box or freezer. If using as a bun, try topping dough with poppy seeds, rehydrated minces onion, sesame seeds,caraway seeds, or a toasted seed mixture for an interesting variation and bun! Onion rolls are great, by the way!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 14:52
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 15:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't really count on oat fiber being safe for gluten free eaters. Oats are heavily contaminated with gluten as they're often grown, stored and transported alongside wheat.

Even certified gluten free oats are not safe for some celiacs. They contain a protein that acts like gluten on many.

Anyway, putting that warning up because I know we have a lot of folks who are sensitive and they might not be aware of the issues with oats.

Looks delicious though!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 16:14
Registered Member

BF:

Hi askwhy! Thanks and hope you like it!

Nancy that's a great point! I use oat fiber because I still have a bag and because being gluten sensitive, I appear to be ok with it in small quantities. Not like when I eat wheat germ or wheat grains.

But to sub out for the oat fiber, you can use several things:

1. Rice Fiber/Bran
2. Corn Fiber/Bran
3. Bean Flours (navy bean flour, garbanzo bean flour)
4. Flax Seed/Hemp/Chia (if you can eat those)

The carb counts will be a little higher but I don't think they will be amazingly through the roof on it.

Any other pure fiber or low carb gluten free bran would work as well.

Last edited by SusieT : Tue, Mar-27-12 at 16:21.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 18:23
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Hi, Susie! Fancy meeting you here! And welcome back to Active Low Carber forums! I've been a member here a couple years now. I love this place.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-12, 06:24
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Peggy! It's great to see you here. I'm excited to be back. It's probably been - gosh, maybe 5 or 6 years since I was here?? I never really posted much in the recipe rooms at that time.

I was trying to do the "straight and narrow" path as outlined by Dr. Bernstein. And that doesn't leave a WHOLE lotta room for creativity with food. But I just got burned out. You know?

Eating like this with creative solutions to our long time Southern and Texas foods help keep me sane and help keep me from cheating or going AWOL.

Don't you think?

Hey, I think I'm going to try your fluffy pancake recipe this morning and with the new Fluffy Chix LC Bread Mix! I will let you know how it works.

Cheers!