Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 14:59
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Corn Muffins

I created a great little corn muffin out of an English Muffin recipe today. The inspiration was a recipe of Ouizoid on LowCarbFriends. First I added a spicy seasoning to the English muffin batter, to make more of a dinner roll. Then I added a new corn flavoring to only two of the muffins in the first batch. WISE decision, as those two were better than the plain English muffins plus my seasonings!! Here's how they came out on second baking:

This is my first test with this corn flavoring and I’m very pleased with the buttery corn flavor it gave these muffins. I DO wish I had not decided to use baking cup paper liners as the muffins stuck to the ungreased paper pretty badly. I discovered once cooled, the paper peeled off nicely, but I like my cornbread HOT! So I strongly recommend using greased/non-stick muffin pans without paper liners for these. I like this recipe a bit better than my other round-pan cornbread recipe here on the site! A little more moist and less crumbly! These are extremely filling, too, with the glucomannan and chia, two ingredients LOADED with fiber! I can only eat ONE! This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung on the Atkins OWL phase. The unusual ingredients in this I ordered at Netrition.com (all but the Superior Fresh Corn flavoring, that is). These are amazingly low in carbs! If you have leftovers, do not reheat in a conventional oven. I discovered the hard way it dries out the crust/tops. Reheat one muffin for 5 seconds on DEFROST in your microwave and they are just like when they cam out of the oven.

INGREDIENTS:

¼ c. oat fiber
¼ c. golden flax meal (I used half golden flax and half dark flax)
¼ c. Carbquick bake mix
1/3 c. plain, unsweetened whey protein powder
1 tsp. vital wheat gluten
½ tsp. glucomannan (Konjac) powder
½ tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 T. chia seeds (preferably white, but I used mixed, by Nativas Naturals)
¼ c. hot water (to make gel with chia seeds)
3 beaten medium-large eggs (2/3 cup total)
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. “Fresh Corn” liquid flavoring
4-5 drops of yellow food coloring (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Mix chia seeds with the ¼ c. water in a lidded jar and set aside for about 30 minutes to an hour. Shake the jar occasionally, but it WILL tend to clump a bit. By the way, you can make chia gel ahead in a jar in larger quantity and store in the refrigerator if you prefer. I’m pretty new to chia seeds, so I’m not sure how long that mix can be stored before it spoils, but probably a week at least. Having it on hand already made up would be nice!

Once your chia gel is ready, Preheat your oven to 350º. Measure all the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and stir well. Beat the eggs, oil, corn flavoring food coloring and chia gel into the batter and stir until very smooth. If too stiff, add a T. water and stir in well. I use a 2T. measuring cup to scoop the batter into 10 muffin cups, but you have to dig it out with your finger to avoid batter waste. Bake at 350º for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve with butter while hot and ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 10 smallish but very filling corn muffins, each contains:

52.7 calories
3.6 g fat
5.0 g carbs, 4.5 g fiber, .5 g NET CARBS
5.38 g protein
70 mg sodium
50 mg potassium
12% RDA phosphorous

BTW, I decided against using corn bran in the final recipe for fear it would dry these muffins out. I will test those waters gradually a teaspoon at a time, as the pinch I stirred in the two test muffins made them rise taller! So I'd LIKE to give that a try.....I just don 't know for certain how MUCH to add.

Last edited by Buttoni : Sun, Feb-19-12 at 20:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 17:33

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

This is so creative! I don't own a lot of these ingredients, but may order them - I love cornbread.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 20:14
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I order the unusual ingredients from Netrition on-line. The corn flavoring I have to get direct from the maker, Superior Flavors on-line.