Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-21, 23:37

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Bob, Do you live on 20 net carbs or 20 total carbs per day?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 06:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good comments. Following a low carb approach for many years, I've adopted and adapted IF by discovering what works for me and making adjustments as I learn. For example, I initially embraced the concept of a ketogenic WOE, which as mentioned, was simply staying in Atkins induction rather than adding more carbs. As I learned how my metabolism responded, I tried different IF methods to move toward optimization. I also discovered that I responded most positively to increasing protein and decreasing (not eliminating) fat. That worked well. I remained in fat-burning mode while adjusting my meals to two per day within a 6-hour window. The 18 hours per day of not eating was something I eventually adapted to without hunger or cravings. Today, I rarely schedule IF outside of my daily routine, and it's worked well for me. I prefer the term "time-restricted eating" rather than IF. It enables me to eat healthy with an emphasis on protein and I'm able to easily cycle between fat- and glucose-burning modes on a daily basis. I no longer chase ketones and strongly feel that tracking BG using a combined DDF and P:E approach works best. DDF enables one to train the system to recognize when it's the right time to eat. After a while, you no longer need the BG meter.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-21, 15:38

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
Bob, Do you live on 20 net carbs or 20 total carbs per day?

Fewer than 20 net carbs (carbs minus fiber).

Most days are much fewer than 20.

I didn't expect low-carb living to give me the benefit of not getting sick, and after about 10 years without even a cold I did some research. I read that when your body has to produce insulin to make use of the carbs, the process puts some of your immune system cells 'to sleep'. I don't quite remember, but I think it was a couple of different killer T cells. I'd have to go back to researching to be sure, that was decades ago.

I don't even catch the flu, and I don't get flu shots.

When I go to the doctors for my semi-annual Medicare checkup they always ask me what prescriptions I am on. I answer "None". And they respond surprised, "None? Really?" And I say "Zero".

I work around senior citizens and on every job a number of them come up to hug me.

My wife is on the same diet and works around the same seniors, and also never gets sick and is quite slim (and still beautiful).

I caught a could a couple of years ago. I took a vacation in Austria, and when I travel once a year, I break my diet. After all, I want to sample what the 'natives' are eating and Austria had some great desserts. So although I ate small portions, I sampled a lot.

I must have caught the cold on the airplane returning home. I had one day of sneezing followed by one day of coughing and it was gone.

The one before that was at least 15 years before.

I've lost 60 pounds (I've gone down as much as 65) and my BMI is now normal. I've kept the weight off for decades.

By adding intermittent fasting (no food between 6:30 PM and 7:30 AM) I went from 50 pounds down to 60 pounds down. My wife suggested it, and I figured I'd give it a try, not really thinking it would work. But it did.

And that is what caused me to cross the BMI line to 'normal' for my height.

I don't know if what I do will work for everyone - if there was one diet best for everybody there would only need to be one diet plan. But it works for me and my wife, and that's good enough for us.

Bob
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-23, 02:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Not for me either! I am approaching 3 years using a Time Restricted Eating window that was originally determined using my blood glucose Before meals, it now remains a basic 16:8, where I eat 2 meals and 1 snack. I rechecked my BG in January and again these past 2 weeks. Somewhere 10 am to noon, I get hungry, eat a big protein focused, nutrient dense meal, and stop eating by 6 pm. Even fasting 24 hours / OMAD did not work for me since I would overeat nutrient poor foods in that one meal.

[B] Keto Lie #7: Fasting for Longer is Better[I]
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...ter/#more-21934