Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 17:13
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default RoseTattoo's Gym Log

Now that I'm working with a trainer and lifting weights, I decided to start a log. At least there's some variation in my daily routine.

But I don't know the names of anything, so please excuse me and feel free to chime in with corrections.

Monday: Weight lifting session--1 hour

3 sets of 15--machine that involved lying down and pushing slab type thingie with my legs and feet.

3 sets of 12--a different machine that involved lying on my stomach and pushing out one leg at a time on a smaller slab type thingie

3 sets of 15--walking lunges, without weights

3 sets of 12--weight-assisted chin ups

lots and lots of arm thingies with free weights. And when I say lots, I mean lots.

3 sets of 15--some sort of shoulder and back machine (rower?)

a ton of abs work--floor exercises, including some Pilates

Followed by 20 minutes of power walking.

I have no idea if this was a good workout or not, but I was very tired when it was over.

Must learn the names of things and the weights I'm using, right?

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 17:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:22
Kid R

Today is cardio day. Walked at 4 mph rate for 50 minutes. Everything HURTS from yesterday's workout. But today's walk was lovely, because I did it on the grounds of a beautiful old estate, which has a variety of paths, some paved, some just packed dirt, some up and down steep stairs, some hills. And the weather is absolutely perfect.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 16:36
Kid R

Another weight training session on Wednesday. Am using heavier weights now, yay! The trainer says I'm doing very well and will tone up quickly. However, my back is beginning to hurt a little, so I think I have to take it more slowly.

Yesterday was cardio day. Three miles on the treadmill and an additional half mile on the track. I have the settings at 4 mph and a 2.0 incline. I actually find the incline easier on my feet.

Today I was planning to lift weights without the trainer, but chickened out. I think I still need LOTS of guidance, lol. So I did my walk instead. New Radiohead CD, this one of B sides. My review: two thumbs down. Definitely prefer OK Computer, although that tape of the 1997 live MTV concert is also terrific.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 17:41
Kid R

Raining. Gym closed. So the fallback was my Beginners' Pilates tape, which I haven't done in about a month.

And I'm proud of myself. The last time I tried this tape, I couldn't even do the MODIFIED exercises. Today I did the entire tape, the unmodified way. The weight/strength training is obviously making a big difference.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 10:20

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Yeah RoseTattoo - Isn't it wonderful to realize the improvements you're making?!?! It can be quite the head rush - and do wonders for the self esteem and ego !

Sorry you didn't like your new Radiohead CD - I thought you liked everything they did . But the walk on the estate grounds sounded marvelous and I'm sure it was thoroughly enjoyed!

Love the weight descriptions ! I knew what you meant, but for your comfort level, learning the names might be a good thing . It'll also be easier to keep track of what you do once you branch off and do it without the trainer being present. Which, BTW, I think it was wise of you to not do the weights on your own until you're more comfortable with them.

You're doing absolutely great, RT - I'm very proud of you !!! You should mention the back pain to your trainer - she will be able to tell you which moves to modify or lighten up on to relieve the pain.

Hang in there RT - you're doing great and have made wonderful progress thus far !!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 13:35
Kid R

Thanks, Shadow! It's always so nice to read what you post--I feel cared for. I appreciate your words so much.

This morning I did try the weights without the trainer. She had written everything down for me, and there was another trainer there to help when I got completely stuck. Which was frequently, since I have no kinetic memory at all. I felt a tad buffoonish standing there and staring at the weights as if I'd never seen them before, but everyone was very helpful. So I managed to get an almost complete workout--although I did cheat on one of the upper body exercises, in a complete fog over what I was supposed to do. And I avoided the chin up machine since I did't want to fall off it again without the trainer to assist me back on.

Nope, no Radiohead for me today. The air is getting too chilly for depressing music. I need to find something warm and fuzzy, lol.

#7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 13:51

BF:

RoseTattoo - Not to worry! In no time at all, you'll have the weight terms and moves down and will be able to zip thru a routine with no assistance needed . I think if it were me, I'd avoid the chin-up machine at all costs - I never could do those darned things .

And, you ARE cared for - that's why I follow you about all over the forum !

#8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:31
Kid R

Thanks for following me, Shadow. Now if you'd just strt your own journal, I could follow you!

I'm trying something new with the trainer this week, which is to split up my workouts between upper and lower body exercises. Today was an hour of lower body, interrupted by a fire drill at the gym , but even so, I liked to died! By the time we were done, my legs were moving of their own volition, shaking and quaking and jerking all around, lol. But I've increased the weights and just know I'm getting stronger, slowly but surely. Wht a nice feeling.

So, because we couldn't schedule earlier in the week, I'm going back tomorrow for upper body work. It can't be quite as exhausting...can it?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:58

BF:

Wow - RoseTattoo - an hour of lower body work?!?! Boy - you're going to be feeling it tomorrow ! But that's good, huh? Build those muscles, girl ! As to the upper body - let's see what tomorrow feels like, huh? I'd hate to psyche you one way or the other. I personally FAR prefer upper body work to lower body, so I would be looking forward to it !

Ah - but I do journal already, that's why I don't repeat it here. I have a doc at home with details, a couple of spreadsheets - one for my HRM, one for different workouts & weight sizes - one for my daily intake, etc. I danged near micro-manage myself to death already ! And, unfortunately, my workouts wouldn't make much sense to you since I do taped workouts by the Firm, Fit Prime and Cathe.

I am so proud of you for sticking with this!!!!! You are doing a fantastic job - keep up the good work !!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 12:19
Kid R

New obsession this week. I've decided to try BFL. It's an amazingly thorough and rigorous workout, IMHO, making what I'd been doing before look relaxing. Time will tell whether I can keep this up, although so far it's been quite enjoyable. I do miss my daily power walks, but I've been sneaking them in whenever I can. Did one today at moderate speed, because it's a BFL "day off."

Big confusion about what to eat while BFL'ing, however, but Nat's been very helpful. I think it's a bit of trial and error. I took the plunge and ate half an apple today. First apple since beginning low carbing in June. Boy, did it taste divine! So NO NUTS of any variety for me today.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 14:41

BF:

Hey, RoseTattoo!!! I hope you have a wonderful evening celebrating your anniversary!

I know there are quite a few low-carbers who have done BFL - there used to be a separate thread on the exercise forum here for it. What inspired you to try it? I'm sure you'll do just great at it, though! Is your trainer going to help with it? You have a couple more sessions with her, right?

Nat is such a great wealth of information!!! I wish I could retain even half the knowledge she has - then I'd know something ! I really enjoy reading her posts here - she was gone for a while but I'm so glad she's back.

So many things in life are trial and error! I wish it were all cut and dried - eat this much fat, this much protein, this many carbs, this many calories, do this exercise - and you'll never have to worry about your weight ever. Ah, Utopia, huh?

BFL is quite a bit different than what you've been doing, isn't it? But I do think you get more carbs on it. I had read quite a bit about it sometime ago, so of course I've forgotten it all by now !

I am doing another MAF test tomorrow and then hopefully moving on to the next 4-week phase of ABB. That's my plan, anyway.

I hope you have a marvelous evening, RT! Keep me posted on how you're doing - you know I worry when I don't know what's happening!

Edited to add: Is there such a thing as having an apple without PNB????? I thought they were inseparable !

Last edited by Shadow01 : Sat, Oct-25-03 at 14:44.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:26
Kid R

Hi, Shadow. I never mean to make you worry! It's so kind of you to care about my wellbeing. And I feel the same way about you.

I'm doing just the exercise part of BFL and am still low-carbing. The only carbs I'm adding are on weight lifting days, where I have a moderate portion of oatmeal or another low glycemic carb right before I go to the gym. I'm also occasionally going to be eating low glycemic fruit, like apples. But otherwise, the WOE is pretty much the same.

Actually, I'm probably going to modify the BFL somewhat. The trainer I work with insists that following the plan to a t will build muscle mass on my legs, where I really don't want it. So I may just do 3 sets of 15 reps at a moderate weight for the leg exercises, and then follow the BFL pyramid style for the arms and back only, where I am very scrawny, lol.

Just got back from the gym this morning and that's exactly what I did, without the trainer, so heaven knows whether I did anything correctly. But it felt so good!

And I really like the HIIT as an adjunct--not a substitute--to the walking I was doing. It's a challenge, and it's over quickly!

BTW, what's the MAF and ABB you referred to?

So what's new with you, Shadow? How was your treat day? My husband and I did finally celebrate our anniversary (number 27, if you can believe it) b by having dinner out at a Pan-Asian restaurant. He's on Weight Watchers maintenance and did very well for himself. I, on the other hand....(well, everything was ok until the ice cream).

Take care! Hope you're having a lovely weekend.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:30

BF:

Hey RoseTattoo! So glad you and your DH got to celebrate your anniversary! If you didn't misbehave until dessert time, I think you did just fine ! I would have probably counted the whole meal as a right to splurge !

Sounds like you're built like me - tiny on top but bulking easily on the bottom. It doesn't take me long at all w/ heavy weights to build up my legs and then I need to either scale down the poundage or decrease number of times per week. But nothing seems to help this upper body . But it sounds to me like you have a good, reasonable thing going with BFL! I'm very impressed with you RT !!! And this is a great way to get in some of the carbs you've been missing like fruit! You have come so very far in such short time - you have done me proud, my girl !

I'm sure you did just great at the gym, ye of little faith ! You've been doing it long enough now to know the basics so I'm sure you did just fine !

I need to optimally quit having my free meal/day - or at least move it to a different day of the week. It's too hard to be motivated to workout on Saturday after a decadent dessert on Friday . As I said, the *optimal* thing would be to stop altogther, but...I just don't know that I'm woman enough for that ! BUT my treat was very good - le carb ice cream with PNB (of course), sunflower seeds and Da Vinci chocolate sauce . It would actually have been okay at a much smaller portion size !

ABB is Aerobic Base Building. It's done in 8 week cycles and I've just finished my second cycle. Nothing above 80% MHR and at least one day of low-intensity. Today I got to move on to the next phase which thankfully is only 4 weeks and one time thru. After that, I can go back to my anaerobic workouts twice a week ! MAF is Maximum Aerobic Function - a test you perform every three weeks to make sure you're improving aerobically.

Okay, I must be off to do chores... Have a marvelous day, RT - I look forward to hearing from you on how your other session went this week !
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 06:26
Kid R

Good morning, Shadow! I've been thinking of you today as I can barely move from my workout of yesterday morning. And yes, we do seem to be built similarly--I am really tiny in the shoulders and arms, and have been up to 3 sizes larger on the bottom (but not anymore, I'm proud to say). Your fitness plan intrigues me--can you tell me more about it? And I'm quite impressed that you have the self-discipline to do this all at home. If I don't force myself to go to the gym, I get nothing accomplished--I need the motivation of other people sweating and grunting to get me going.

It's funny that you say you might have to move your treat night. I find that having the treat is the one thing that motivates me to do even more exercise the next day. Just a guilt-ridden soul, I guess. And your treat doesn't sound like too much to me--it seems just right. Last night I had a bit of the Breyer's low carb ice cream. It doesn't taste good enough to finish the carton in one sitting, which is a marvelous thing. But it's nice for a small refreshment.

Anyway, today is HIIT and abs day, except that it's pouring out, which rules out an outside session, and I may not have time to get to the gym. So it certainly won't be a morning workout.

Take care, and let me know how your day goes, please.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 07:07

BF:

Hey, RT ! Very good morning here on my end. The time change just does wonders for me - 4AM isn't nearly so early now !

Hmmm - good old DOMs, huh? But doesn't it feel good to know that you worked hard and your muscles know it? Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, though ! Some people do need the gym to get motivated - I'm just lucky I don't like people and want no one to see me grunt and sweat !

Well, normally I do feel more inspired to exercise after treat night - except now I really suffer from those extra carbs and just want to stay in bed and hide my head under the pillow in shame, ya know? Back when I ate high carb, I felt like crap all the time so it didn't matter. Now I can really tell the difference. Does that make sense? I'm so glad that you don't think I did too poorly with my treat - but I failed to mention the *quantities* involved !

I know exactly what you mean about different sizes on top and bottom! Very irritating when things come in sets... What would you like to know about my fitness plan? This latest thing with ABB is pretty lengthy - I'll mull it over in my mind and find a condensed version to e-mail you - then if you have more questions I can go into more details. How's that sound? Or if I can get it really condensed, I'll post it here. But you know me - I am a very wordy person !

Okay, my friend, I must zip for now. Felt so energetic this morning that I did some extra on my workout and now am a little behind. I hope you have a marvelous day and I'll be in touch ! Am still waiting to hear how your other session went this week .