Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 17:02

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%
Default Favorite passages from Gary Taubes' new book

I thought it would be interesting if people who are reading Gary Taubes' Good Calories Bad Calories would share favorite sections. I have many already and I'm only on page 185. This will give those who haven't read the book, perhaps more reason to buy it and read it.

Quote:
Consider the porterhouse steak with a quarter-inch layer of fat. ... {then he describes how that fat is comprised of different types of fats, like monounsaturated, saturated and polyunsaturated, and their effect on LDL and HDL cholesterol}... In sum, perhaps as much as 70 percent of the fat content of a porterhouse steak will improve the relative levels of LDL and HDL cholesterol, compared with what they would be if carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, or pasta were consumed. The remaining 30 percent will raise LDL cholesterol but will also raise HDL cholesterol and will have an insignificant effect, if any, on the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL. All of this suggests that eating a porterhouse steak in lieu of bread or potatoes would actually reduce heart-disease risk, although virtually no nutritional authority will say so publicly. The same is true for lard or bacon.

Feel free to add your own favorite sections. I'll be adding more as I have time.

Plane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 17:52

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Oh cool!!! I just ordered mine today. I can hardly wait! (Sqqeeeeeeeee!!!)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 21:02

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:

I have been underlining my favorite passages throughout as I read it (I'm about two thirds the way through it now), but because it's so dense with great material, I sometimes end up having to underline more than half a page. Stars and tick marks all over the place. Taubes quite simply rocks. The amount of research he put into this tome is phenomenal.

Every time I see some nitwit RD or nutritionist attack the book by attacking Taubes, I want to puke, because he is so much more objective and fair than any of them, and he is no propagandist- he is simply asking us all to step back and look at how shoddy most of the consensus on diet and health has been in the past few decades.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 04:30

Here's another one that points out that the huge studies, and reviews across huge studies still showed no effect from what is the current "wisdom" of lower heart disease risk. This is often called "multiple-risk-factor intervention" where we try and lower blood pressure, cholesterol and weight to prevent heart disease. According to what is published by every "authority" out there on nutrition, this is the recipe for reducing the risk of heart disease, right?

page 84
Quote:
In 2006, the Cochrane Collaboration published a review of multiple-risk-factor interventions - including lowering blood pressure and cholesterol - for the prevention of coronary heart disease. In this case, thirty-nine trial were identified of which ten (comprising over nine-hundred thousand patient years of observation) included sufficient data and were carried out with sufficient rigor to draw meaningful inferences." The pooled effects suggest multiple risk factor intervention has no effect on mortality," the authors concluded. Although, once again, a "small" benefit of treatment, perhaps "a 10 percent reduction in CHD mortality," may have been missed, they added.

They always have to stick in there that, despite the evidence, there's still something in our study that must have supported the conclusions that everyone has already drawn, we just must have missed it.

Plane
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 04:42

Default Fat and Breast Cancer

All right. One more for the morning.

Here, Taubes is talking about the Nurses Health Study. Run by Harvard epidemioloist Walter Willet, it tracked nearly 89,000 nurses around the country beginning in 1982 looking for a connection between fat and breast cancer. What it found has not gotten a lot of press.

p. 73
Quote:
In 1999, the Harvard researchers published fourteen years of observations. By then almost three thousand nurses had contracted breast cancer, and the data still suggested that eating fatty foods (even those with copious saturated fat) might protect against cancer. For every 5 percent of saturated-fat calories that replaced carbohydrates in the diet, the risk of breast cancer decreased by 9 percent.

(emphasis mine)

This is then followed by Taubes' typical dry understatement.
Quote:
This certainly argued against the hypothesis that excessive fat consumption caused breast cancer.

Plane
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 05:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/188/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 79%

I ordered mine, it should get here next week! I can't wait to read it and make everyone I know aware of it.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 240/180/180 Male 6'2"
BF:9.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Free radicals

Here is one:

Quote:
Reactive oxygen species are generated primarily by the burning of glucose for fuel in the cells, in a process that attaches electrons to oxygen atoms, transforming the oxygen from a relatively inert molecule into one that is avid to react chemicaly with other molecules...One form of reactive oxygen species is those known commonly as free radicals..
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 17:26

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

My favorite passage will be when the library passes the book from "newly acquired" to "in circulation", since my name is first on the list to check it out!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 12:49

Default More quotes

Here's one as he's building the case for the "Significance of Diabetes."

page187
Quote:
Another way to look at this is to consider that metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes lie on a continuum or a curve of physical degeneration. This curve is marked by ever-worsening disturbances of carbohydrate and fat metabolism - high insulin, insulin resistance, high blood sugar, high triglycerides, low HDL, and small, dense LDL.

Showing how the science keep warping the conclusions around the conventional wisdom of Keys' original fat-heart disease theory that's never actually been proven
Quote:
First the National Cholesterol Education Program published its revised guidelines for cholesterol testing and treatment. {in 2002} This was followed in 2004 by two conference reports: one describing the conclusions of a joint NIH-AHA meeting on scientific issues related to metabolic syndrome, and the other, in which the American Diabetes Association joined in as well, describing joint treatment guidelines. Scott Grundy of the University of Texas was the primary author of all three documents. When I interviewed Grundy in May 2004, he acknowledged that metabolic syndrome was the cause of most heart disease in America, and that this syndrome is probably caused by the excessive consumption of refined carbohydrates. Yet his three reports - representing the official NIH, AHA and ADA positions -all remained firmly wedded to the fat-cholesterol dogma.

Until this dogma can be challenged, we'll continue to get these spurious conclusions.

One last one for anyone who knows someone who drinks sweetened soft drinks. These are full of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Even regular sugar is still half glucose and half fructose.

page 200
Quote:
The more fructose in the diet, the higher the subsequent triglyceride levels in the blood.

Get the book!! It's really great.

Plane
Who's telling so many people about it, he should get a commission.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 07:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been dog-earring my copy. Gosh, there's just so much in there that is good.

The thing is, this book has me so upset that we're in this phase of stupidity amongst scientists and doctors and the lot. Here we're looking at health care possibly swamping the country with a huge burden of cost yet promoting programs that'll simply increase it.

It also upsets me that this book is so complex because I realize that'll keep people from reading it. But, like Taubes says, part of the entire reason we're in this state of foolishness is because people keep trying to oversimplify and make easy to follow rules rather than understanding that things are complex!

Now we've got people horribly addicted to carbohydrates and how would we get them off that form of crack anyway? This would be like promoting that cigarette smoking cures heart disease and cancer for 50 years then telling everyone after they're addicted that oops... did we say cure? We meant "cause".
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 08:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
It also upsets me that this book is so complex because I realize that'll keep people from reading it. But, like Taubes says, part of the entire reason we're in this state of foolishness is because people keep trying to oversimplify and make easy to follow rules rather than understanding that things are complex!

Both very true, and very good points, Nancy!

The book is chock full of wonderful passages, but Taubes has a relentless tendency to repeat himself by piling on the data and quotes from those scientists who did see the light. The irony though is that for all of his amazing effort at documenting his assertions (one could go to the epilogue and skip all the reading, but the tour de force is worth every second in my view), he still gets labelled as an "Atkins nut" by most reviewers. (Never mind that Atkins was right- he is now used as an epithet by mainstream, I think partly because he is now dead and can't defend himself, and partly because much of the media has declared "Atkins" as a "fad diet" that has come and gone, as indicated by food chains dumping their Atkins-approved menu sections.) It was good to see that both the NY Times and Wall Street Journal recently gave favorable reviews of Taubes, however.

Anyway, here is a favorite Taubes quote of mine, from pages 76-77, where he both quotes and paraphrases Francis Bacon:

Quote:
Good science... is rooted in reality, and so it grows and develops, and the evidence grows increasingly more compelling, whereas wishful sciences remain 'stuck fast in their tracks,' or 'rather the reverse, flourishing most under their first authors before going downhill ever since.'

Wishful science eventually devolves to the point where it is kept alive simply by the natural reluctance of its advocates to recognize or acknowledge error, rather than compelling evidence that it is right.

What is frightening, I find, is that the mainstream tends to assess validity of a theory based on the volume of pubmed studies or citations rather than by an objective assessment of the evidence. On the Charlie Rose episode, for example, Ornish said he will be a convert the day there is published evidence. Well, there is plenty enough published evidence out there already, superior in quality, but it just loses out by sheer volume.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 09:07

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by probiotic
Ornish said he will be a convert the day there is published evidence.
Until then, he will keep describing the LC diet as "silly" (making HIM sound silly and desperate).
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 09:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by probiotic
..he still gets labelled as an "Atkins nut" by most reviewers. (Never mind that Atkins was right- he is now used as an epithet by mainstream, I think partly because he is now dead and can't defend himself, and partly because much of the media has declared "Atkins" as a "fad diet"

I think that's pretty much a huge red flag warning that they haven't read the book. How you can dismiss all the research for the decades that research has been done linking carbohydrates to heart disease and diabetes and call him an Atkins nut? He's a Yudkin, Reaven, Cleave nut, and all the other scientists whose names I don't remember.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 18:23

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The thing is, this book has me so upset that we're in this phase of stupidity amongst scientists and doctors and the lot. Here we're looking at health care possibly swamping the country with a huge burden of cost yet promoting programs that'll simply increase it.

I had to purchase my own copy because I can only read a couple pages at a time. If I read more, I just get too angry!

My already low opinion of public health authorities isn't being helped by this book.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 19:01

BF:

I have to toss in another favorite Taubes quote of mine, in keeping with this thread, having just finished the epic.

From pp.451-452:
Quote:
The urge to simplify a complex scientific situation so that physicians can apply it and their patients and the public embrace it has taken precedence over the scientific obligation of presenting the evidence with relentless honesty. The result is an enormous enterprise dedicated in theory to determining the relationship between diet, obesity and disease, while dedicated in practice to convincing everyone involved, and the lay public, most of all, that the answers are already known and always have been - an enterprise, in other words, that purports to be a science and yet functions like a religion.