Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 20:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?

*runs for the hills*

http://health.nytimes.com/ref/healt...ercise-ess.html

Quote:
In Brief:

While exercise can boost mood, its health benefits have been oversold.

Moderate exercise can reduce the risk of diabetes in people at risk. Exercise may reduce the risk of heart disease and breast and colon cancers.

Though the evidence is mixed, exercise may also provide benefits for people with osteoporosis.

Physical activity alone will not lead to sustained weight loss or reduce blood pressure or cholesterol.

Click link for details.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 21:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/193/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I did a calculation on exercise similar to one done by Dr M D Eades in "The 6 week curure for the middle age middle".

I went to the calorie calculator at
http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
and I input my body weight 190 lbs and a slow hiking rate of 2 - 2.5 miles per hour and a 1000 mile distance.

I got 107955 Calories burned, which when divided by 3,500 cal/pound give 30.84 lbs of weight loss.

So, there is some theoretical possibility of the lack of exercise causing weight loss.

On the other hand, Gina Kolata didn't get along well with Gary Taubes, and was one of those who editorially rejected the book Good Calories Bad Calories.

Now one of his claims on weight loss is one that she appears to support.

I really dislike this second rate "science" of diet and health.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 00:04
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile

#4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 00:16

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

I dunno. I just got back from my hill-walking (which I do primarily for fitness), and decided to run a few of the hills to get my heart rate up. So after the third interval I puked in the bushes. This likely increased my caloric deficit for the day. Voila!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 00:28

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

The author does not cite any references for these opinions...at least, I didn't see any. She does have a link at the bottom of the page to ads for recruits for clinical trials that test these hypotheses.

It's so annoying when writers make bald statements like these, without anything to back them up. And it's lazy. Well, I guess I'm a little lazy, too. I'm not going to search all over the Net trying to prove or disprove what she's saying unless I'm writing an article of my own!

Thank you, Mathmaniac, for posting the link to an article about how exercise alone does not necessarily lead to weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 09:00

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Do these people not work with older people? I don't care what anyone says, use it or lose it. I know too many older and unfortunately younger people, thin and heavy, who simply cannot function physically as they should because they do not exercise.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 09:13
Experimenter

BF:

She just said it's been oversold, kind of like statins. I mean come on, you look at any news outlet and they're promoting exercise for the ailment du jour. She never said is was bad or totally useless either.

Such skepticism, however timid, warms my heart because the press is so shy about saying anything contrary to popular public opinion on diet and exercise.... and statins.

Yes and it is ironic Gina Kolata is echoing Gary Taubes.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 11:34

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

NYT has had repeated articles on why the (very) elderly should be doing weight lifting type exercises. Retain enough strength to get up from the toilet or chair. Enough hip mobility and strength to walk and move strongly and not fall. This is perhaps the most dramatic and proven benefit of exercise. For the rest of us the case can be made that just moving a lot is beneficial. I do a lot of heavy intense exercise, and percieve all sorts of benefits. But other people do it other ways. Winston Churchill maintained his long life was due to exercise - carrying the caskets of all of his friends who exercised!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 11:36

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:

I think the problem is that what people call exercise today was just "life" not too long ago KWIM?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 11:47

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

IMO, exercise has been really oversold in terms of helping people lose weight, on that I agree. I also agree that exercise alone usually won't reduce blood pressure or improve lipid profiles, for that I truly believe you need a low-carb diet.

However if I just look around at elderly people who are still mobile, independent and getting the most out of life, they are those people who have been and stayed active all their lives.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 12:13

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Most of the heart protection appears to be realized by people who go from being sedentary to being moderately active, usually by walking regularly.

Well, I'm sedentary and plan to start walk, um, soon. Glad I'll be among those who benefit.

Quote:
...those who exercise tend to be very different from those who do not.

Active people are much less likely to smoke; they’re thinner and they eat differently .... They also tend to be more educated .... As a result, it is impossible to know with confidence whether exercise prevents heart disease or whether people who are less likely to get heart disease are also more likely to be exercising.

I think the latter. I'd also guess that those who exercise regularly have metabolisms that use energy differently than those of us who don't.

If your body utilizes energy properly, you'll enjoy "exercise" and you'll keep doing it.

If you're like me, though, exercise is torture.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 12:19

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Here is an audio tape about exercise, vlc, and obesity. Near the end it explains why obese people should not exercise and it's not about hunger it's about inflammation.These doctors state that exercise boosts metabolism in lean people but actually slows it down for obese people. If you don't want to listen to the entire thing the last 15 minutes will suffice.

Drs. Stephen Phinney, Eric Westman and Jay Wortman are interviewed.

http://hoe.kgnu.net/audio/shows/184.mp3

Last edited by Hellistile : Tue, Nov-10-09 at 12:24.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 148/123/115 Female 5' 1''
BF:

I am going to be 60 on Thursday, no one believes it. I have walked at least 3 miles a day for years. Last Sat I did 7 and 3 on Sunday. I go to Jazzercise 3 or 4 times a week. I snowshoe in winter and kayak in summer. If I didn't exercise I would be like my older sister who at 63 can barely climb the steps.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 12:34
Experimenter

BF:

Right, you're giving credit to the exercise. But the thing is it could be a lot of reasons why you're doing better than your sister, including ones you have no control over.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 12:36
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The question of "does exercise help our health" is a totally different one than "does exercise help us lose weight." I'm not at all convinced that exercise — cardio or weight-training or anything else — is helpful for losing pounds. But I AM convinced that various forms of exercise have health benefits that might be unrelated to losing weight. We have all been around the block enough to know that "health" and "thin" aren't the same thing.