Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 20:08

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Mike Eades most recent blog entry makes the point about the causative (but atrociously under publicized) relationship between smoking and heart disease. The human race has basically been passive heavy smokers since we first rubbed two sticks together. And billions of dollars are spent selling and desperately trying to prove the erroneous notion that 'cholesterol' (or even more tenuously 'processed' food)is a signifigant CHD problem. That even the most wholegrain organically grown 'natural' wholemeal bread is still among the most 'processed' food humans can eat seems to get forgotten along the way.

And these Alaskans would have been sucking in burning blubber fumes at least half the year.. Yes, I saw Eades' blog which I enjoy reading.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 22:31

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Mike Eades most recent blog entry makes the point about the causative (but atrociously under publicized) relationship between smoking and heart disease.

But what about "just remember that the rates of smoking in the US have fallen markedly over the past 25 years. And even though smoking, a known and serious cause of heart disease, has fallen, the incidence of heart disease is about the same."

from said Eade's blog?
Couldn't figure that one out. If smoking incidence has fallen, why is the incidence of heart disease about the same, if smoking causes heart disease???

Mummies, on the other hand, are extremely numerous in Egypt. I believe it was the Eades (plural) who mentioned that there are more mummies in Egypt than the entire current population of Egypt (in Protein Power)...Makes sense, considering that in the late 18th century to the early 20th century, mummies were regularly peddled to tourists. One such mummy was peddled to the curator of a local N.Y. Niagara Falls Mom & Pop museum. It sat there for years and years, until Scientists became intrigued that maybe this was the lost mummy of Ramses I
There were probably a great number of mummies who were simply buried in the sand (not in tombs), and several hundred years went by before proper mummification techniques were perfected. Yes, only the "rich & famous" were entombed in pyramids or special tombs. However, virtually everyone was mummified based on the belief that they were somehow "tricking" death by keeping the dead preserved.

The ancient Egyptians were known by the Greeks as "Artophagoi"- the bread eaters. It is perhaps the earliest account we have (on record) of CAD. And, as the Eades pointed out so many years ago, they were riddled with it. They were obese, had massive tooth decay, and had heart disease.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 00:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
But what about "just remember that the rates of smoking in the US have fallen markedly over the past 25 years. And even though smoking, a known and serious cause of heart disease, has fallen, the incidence of heart disease is about the same."

from said Eade's blog?
Couldn't figure that one out. If smoking incidence has fallen, why is the incidence of heart disease about the same, if smoking causes heart disease???

Karen, the sentence before the one you quoted, he said that the heart disease mortality has fallen. Mike was inferring (I think) that the 'statin worshippers' take the credit for the mortality falling, but are curiously silent on the fact that the incidence of heart disease is about the same. Whereas according to Mike's reading of the smoking rate/statin use effect on CHD, statins have squat to do with the CHD mortality reduction, which he thinks is because there are fewer smokers. Mike is well known to also believe that one of the most prevalent causes of CHD is a high carb diet. But his slightly older blog entry points out that only smokers seem to die of heart attacks. You can have heart disease your whole life, and eventually die of some other cause, without ever suffering a heart attack, if you don't smoke. Not that he's recommending CHD of course. It's just that he thinks it's seldom life threatening unless you also smoke. So he reads the data as the fall in smoking reducing people dying from heart attacks, whereas our friends the statin pushers incorrectly claim that reduced mortality for their own.

I know who I find more credible
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 00:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
And these Alaskans would have been sucking in burning blubber fumes at least half the year.. Yes, I saw Eades' blog which I enjoy reading.

I think the degenerative effect of cooking/heating fire smoke on human health is so overlooked. It's certainly not just the Alaskans. The post neolithic humans (right up to the present day) who breathed in a lot of second hand smoke from their fires and their tobacco (or something else ) smoking brethren, and ate a high carb diet, and insulted their lungs with deliberately inhaled smoke, really had the odds stacked against them. That's why I think the CRonbie low calorie cult is such a dumb way to maximize longevity.

Give a human body, fresh air, enough sleep and equally importantly moderate (not restricted just 'moderate' -what a low carb diet does without even trying ) dietary intake of it's evolutionarily appropriate low carb diet, and the right mental attitude to stress so that it does not translate into cortisol elevation(it's such a myth that stress is necessarily bad, it's what you do with that stress that counts) and you get to live as long as physiologically possible - without looking like a stick insect for the duration.
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 00:32

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

You left out exercise, kneebrace. Exercise has been shown to be as important as diet in certain ways...certainly with respect to cortisol issues.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 00:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
You left out exercise, kneebrace. Exercise has been shown to be as important as diet in certain ways...certainly with respect to cortisol issues.

Woops! Thanks Val. Exercise is essential of course. We (in fact every living thing from amoebas up - plants and animals) are designed to move.
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 11:45

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Lots of interesting points brought up. What is it about the smoke from cigarette that is actually dangerous. From the American Cancer Society "
Quote:
More than 4,000 individual chemicals have been identified in tobacco and tobacco smoke. Among these are more than 60 chemicals that are known carcinogens (cancer-causing agents)
". Chewing tobacco also causes cancer, so in that case it's not the smoke.

I don't know what is it about smoking that causes CHD. But I'd guess that compounds in cigarette smoke and compounds released from wood smoke, peat smoke, whale blubber, ect ect are different. So it's a big assumption to extrapolate that you can also get CHD from inhaling smoke from a wood fire, oil lamp, or peat fire.
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 12:26
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:

from said Eade's blog?

Perhaps because something else increased in our lives that also contributes to developing heart disease?

I can think of a few things that have increased as smoking decreased - HFCS in the diet, overall added sugars in the diet, trans-fats in the diet, vegetable oil consumption in the diet, more reliance on packaged, processed foods....that's just a few for diet which doesn't account for lifestyle changes like driving more and walking less type things.
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 13:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They do get cancer from breathing smoke from cooking in other countries, I think I remember hearing that it was a problem for women in India. I've never heard of it connected to heart disease though.
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Default Air Pollution, Heart Desease and Stroke

Quote:
Air Pollution, Heart Disease and Stroke

Exposure to air pollution contributes to the development of cardiovascular diseases (heart disease and stroke).

A person’s relative risk due to air pollution is small compared with the impact of established cardiovascular risk factors such as smoking, obesity, or high blood pressure. However, this is a serious public health problem because an enormous number of people are exposed over an entire lifetime.

Background

Until May of 2004, the American Heart Association had not issued any expert reviewed statement about the short-term and long-term effects of chronic exposure to different pollutants. This was due to flaws in research design and methodology of many pollution studies. During the last decade, however, epidemiological studies conducted worldwide have shown a consistent, increased risk for cardiovascular events, including heart and stroke deaths, in relation to short- and long-term exposure to present-day concentrations of pollution, especially particulate matter.

Elderly patients, people with underlying heart or lung disease, lower socioeconomic populations and diabetics may be at particularly increased risk. More research is needed to find out the differential toxicity of various constituents of air pollution.

Components of Air Pollution Air pollution is composed of many environmental factors. They include carbon monoxide, nitrates, sulfur dioxide, ozone, lead, secondhand tobacco smoke and particulate matter. Particulate matter, also known as particle pollution, is composed of solid and liquid particles within the air. It can be generated from vehicle emissions, tire fragmentation and road dust, power generation and industrial combustion, smelting and other metal processing, construction and demolition activities, residential wood burning, windblown soil, pollens, molds, forest fires, volcanic emissions and sea spray. These particles vary considerably in size, composition and origin...

Quote:

Air Pollution Impact in U.S. Cities

Another study confirmed the importance of variations of pollution within a single city. Its findings suggested that a person’s exposure to toxic components of air pollution may vary as much within one city as across different cities. After studying 5,000 adults for eight years, the researchers also found that exposure to traffic-related air pollutants was more highly related to mortality than were city-wide background levels. For example, those who lived near a major road were more likely to die of a cardiovascular event.

Some research has estimated that people living in the most polluted U.S. cities could lose between 1.8 and 3.1 years because of exposure to chronic air pollution. This has led some scientists to conclude that
  1. Short-term exposure to elevated levels of particle pollution is associated with a higher risk of death due to a cardiovascular event.
  2. Hospital admissions for several cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases rise in response to higher concentrations of particle pollution.
  3. Prolonged exposure to elevated levels of particle pollution is a factor in reducing overall life expectancy by a few years.

http://www.americanheart.org/presen...identifier=4419
  #146   ^
Old Fri, Feb-09-07, 02:16

Plan: ketogenic neandrathin
Stats: 254/212/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Wow this was a long and entertaining read!

Since the word "inflammation" came up a few times, I have some questions re same.

Can anyone point me to a reliable source, or list your own if you know this, of foods that are anti inflammatory? Also foods that are considered inflammatory (outside of the obvious like processed foods, sugar, frankenfoods).

I'm wondering specifically:

if ALL grains are considered inflammatory, even oatmeal and things like bread made from 100% sprouted spelt. (minimal serving of 1 piece of toast or a serving +/of oatmeal a day accompanied w/protein)

I know olive oil and ocean fish are mostly considered antiinflammatory foods. I'm thinking that romaine lettuce, celery, bok choy, asparagus and artichokes would be also.

As far as inflammatory foods:

What about the nightshade veggies?

All citrus fruits?

Are beef and poultry considered inflammatory even if marinated in olive oil and vinegar or wine overnight to minimize arch acid?

Eggs even w/efas added? Dairy? Butter?

Are lower carb soy products such as soy sauce, tofu or soymilk considered inflammatory?

What about vinegars?

Thanks! Terry
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 13:10

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Amazon.com also lists:

The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It (Paperback)
by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick (Author)
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 13:14

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Amazon.com also lists:

The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It (Paperback)
by Dr. Malcolm Kendrick (Author)

List Price: $16.95
Price: $11.53 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-07, 14:26

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Male -
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower51
Wow this was a long and entertaining read!

Since the word "inflammation" came up a few times, I have some questions re same.

Can anyone point me to a reliable source, or list your own if you know this, of foods that are anti inflammatory? Also foods that are considered inflammatory (outside of the obvious like processed foods, sugar, frankenfoods).

I'm wondering specifically:

if ALL grains are considered inflammatory, even oatmeal and things like bread made from 100% sprouted spelt. (minimal serving of 1 piece of toast or a serving +/of oatmeal a day accompanied w/protein)

I know olive oil and ocean fish are mostly considered antiinflammatory foods. I'm thinking that romaine lettuce, celery, bok choy, asparagus and artichokes would be also.

As far as inflammatory foods:

What about the nightshade veggies?

All citrus fruits?

Are beef and poultry considered inflammatory even if marinated in olive oil and vinegar or wine overnight to minimize arch acid?

Eggs even w/efas added? Dairy? Butter?

Are lower carb soy products such as soy sauce, tofu or soymilk considered inflammatory?

What about vinegars?

Thanks! Terry

There's an argument that foods containing arachidonic acid (an omega 6 fatty acid) are inflammatory - see the book Inflammation Nation by Chilton. But there are also arguments that this is incorrect - see the book review of the Chilton book at the Weston-Price webpage.
  #150   ^
Old Sun, May-08-16, 06:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

Last night CBC ran a repeat of The Nature of Things (David Suzuki) examining Cholesterol and new thinking about the need for statins. It was quite eye opening and informative.

Here's a link to an overview of the show and the video