Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 18:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Friday, I think that the reason that PETA over-steps what some might consider "civil boundaries" is rooted in the chronic grief and frustration they experience while trying to be heard. After awhile, it's like: "Ok, gloves are OFF." It's a shame. I'm not saying it's a GOOD way to conduct themselves, but I can certainly understand the frustration factor.

I agree that their tactics are largely not "good", frustration level being high or not. Once again, the ends do not justify the means.
I don't think anyone posting in this thread is in favor of cruelty to animals. In fact, I'd wager that to a person, most of us are very much against it, but neither are they in favor of the tactics that PETA and organizations like them are using to promote awareness and prevent cruelty to animals. There are far better ways to get their message out than by shocking and alienating their intended audience.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 19:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
I just found this:

http://www.american-partisan.com/co...n/qtr3/0903.htm

That's right, this warm fuzzy bastion of animal rights kills every once beloved family pet who has the misfortune of being carried through PETA's doors. People take animals to PETA instead of local shelters because they believe that they will be placed into a home and will not be put down. Unlike local animal shelters, PETA doesn't even bother trying to find homes for these pets. All of them are killed within a few hours. In fact, PETA has gone through several area vets, and they refused to euthanize healthy animals. Finally PETA constructed their own facilities for this practice.

Any comments?

Robert...if this is really true, I'm absolutely speechless. Euthanizing an ill animal who is suffering is one thing, ending an animal's life because it is a source of food is another. Even euthanizing an animal for which no home can be found, I can understand (although I don't like it and have adopted animals from the local shelter instead of purchasing them from a pet store for that reason alone) but this....I'm speechless.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 20:30

BF:

http://www.furcommission.com/resource/perspect999ag.htm

This article seems to corroborate the above and gives sources for the information, including Ingrid Newkirk herself.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 20:42

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I haven't read those articles, and I'm definitely not in favor of euthanizing healthy animals. For a further caveat, I'm not even taking a stand on whether or not I think it's true, but...

There are some who believe that domestication of animals at all is equivalent to abuse. Selective breeding (which can cause unhealthy attributes along with the 'desired' ones'), tail and/or ear docks, confining them inside, etc. Removing any animal from its natural state is sometimes seen as wrong. Some people also feel that zoos are immoral and abusive.

While I don't agree with this view myself, it might permit a more sympathetic view of euthanizing pets (who are abused, genetically manipulated aberrations that should never have existed) if these ideas are part of PETA's beleif system.

Keep in mind that I do not know whetehr or not PETA holds these beliefs, but it might do a bit to explain such a practice if indeed it exists.

Cheers,

Friday
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 04:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

This article points out what I said in another topic. That PETA is a whacko organization bent on humans not eating meat period! They feel that animals should have domain over the planet and not humans. They're not worth the ink to write about them. They also use non legal ways to get their point across. The gov't should go after these lawbreakers.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-04, 09:51

BF:

Quote:
The gov't should go after these lawbreakers.

They do. The thing is, that because most of the offenses are misdemeanors, most of the time they get off with a slap on the wrist or a fine (which I'm sure that their organizations are happy to pay for them). In one of the links above, even PETA's current leader estimates that she has been arrested "40 or 50 times".
PETA says that it draws the line at physical violence and yet they associate with and support groups that do not which leads me to think that they believe that encouraging and supporting such activity is fine as long as they aren't actually doing it themselves.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:48

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%
Talking Peta

I love P.E.T.A. As a matter of fact I am the President of the local chapter!
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
Where's the Beef, Chicken, Pork and Venison?

Jag
  #83   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

You too!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbender
I love P.E.T.A. As a matter of fact I am the President of the local chapter!
People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.
Where's the Beef, Chicken, Pork and Venison?

Jag
  #84   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 02:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi Liza N,
I really don't know if it's true I was just quoting the website I found it on. We don't have PETA in the UK (to my knowledge). Thank God. We do have our share of nutters though. Some years ago one lot firebombed a dept store near my hometown because they were selling furs. The store burned to the ground. Fortunatly it was at night and no one was killed.
Here the RSPCA also kills healthy pets if it cannot find a home for then within a given time. It uses electrocution - cheaper than an injection.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 04:22
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Since this thread has poped up as being alive again. Can I just make the comment that I hope Rockerchiks disappearance from membership is not connected with this thread. I didn't agree with her views, but I am rather surprised that anyone here found the - or the way she expressed them - offensive or unconsidered.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 05:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
Can I just make the comment that I hope Rockerchiks disappearance from membership is not connected with this thread.

When you see a membe's title listed "Guest", it's due to an explicit request by the member to "unsubscribe" them from our forum.

Wa'il
  #87   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/203/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:40%/20%/17%
Progress: 109%

What I think is really entertaining is that Rockerchick still eats fish. Does she suppose that being pulled up from the depths of the ocean and having your eyes pop out due to the pressure change or slowing gasping to try and breath oxygen is in any way even remotely humane. I'm not even going to get started on fish farms. Just because they're not cute and fluffy does that mean that you don't object to eating them? Go out on a fishing trawler some time and watch as they gut and cut off the fishes heads while they're still breathing.

One of the sickest things I've seen PETA do was in Vancouver where they had a serial killer. This killer solicited prostitues and when he was done with them, fed them to his pigs. PETA put up billboard equating his victims to the pigs. How do you think this made family members feel? How would you feel if one of your loved ones had been raped, savagely killed and was equated to the level a pig? Some organization you've got there.

I'm all in favor of treating animals in an ethical manner. Some of the mass farming systems being introduced are having several effects on not just the animals, but the environment and the lives of people trying to survive in running a family farm. If PETA was actually only interested in that I would probably support them, but their underlying agenda will always make them unacceptable to the masses and traumatizing kids is not going to change that.
  #88   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 14:19
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

A friend of mine once wisely said that we should not expect revolutionaries to be moderate. I have no time for PETA, its 'ruler-for-life' seems to be one of those people Colin Wilson called 'Right Men' ( or Right Women' this time) who can't abide being questioned or challenged.
Doesn't rule out animal activism as worthwhile and ethical stance.
BTW fish don't count - they are slimey.