Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Feeling defeated

Since July 19th I have felt horrible. I was diagnosed with this somewhat rare thyroid problem that my body slowed my metabolism by making large amounts of inactive molecule that bound to the spot where the active thyroid hormone should bind. It takes 12 weeks to clear the inactive one out.

I am suffering from fatigue. Before the diagnosis I was dealing by drinking 20 cups of coffee a day and eating chocolate about 5x/day.

I pushed myself really hard last week to be productive, by Sunday nearly crying from the stress and fatigue. I ate chocolate sunday and felt better.

I had 3 tests on Monday got it over with got home ate all kinds of junk and slept 17 hours. I was so exhausted I was looking for energy.

I feel like I've ruined everything.

I have to start studying for the next round of tests. Its 10am and I've had 4 coffees just trying to catch up on the laundry crisis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 12:15

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 200/185/120 Female 66 INCHES
BF:
Progress:

You'll get through it. There are many times that I've gone through some horrible things and at that moment in time it's such a huge deal, but then when I think about it a year later, it wasn't.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 13:30
Registered Member

thanks Alex, what you said couldn't be more true.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-17, 22:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Be kind to yourself in this hard time.
Talk to yourself the you would a puppy who is struggling to learn, who maybe is sick and wants to feel better. Talk to yourself the way you would to a loved one -- imagine your grandmother or your grandchild -- about their struggles. We usually are not so hard on others as we are on ourselves. You are doing your best. That's not ruining anything.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-17, 13:50

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

I love Blue Ruby and Ale's comments. You are being really hard on yourself. NOT RUINING EVERYTHING!!!!! What is, well,, it is. But the interpretation of that depends upon YOU.
Laundry???? What does it matter? NOTHING!
You and your health??? Well, you can think about how to react.
You have power here, and it is in your hands, to be interpretted by YOU, YOU YOU!!!!! PLease, it is important to love yourself now - know that we do-- love you I mean! And your action will come within that.... go for it!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 10:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Awww, it's tough. I've been feeling really fatigued since about July also, too fatigued even to check these forums. But today I feel nearly human again, and here I am! I found less coffee helpful for me. Never more than a cup a day, and often only 4-5 times a week. We can get through this!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 12:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Agreed with Debbie. But I handle it a little differently. Last couple times I've tried going right off caffeine, I wound up getting depressed, so instead of keeping intake permanently that low, I go in cycles, when I become too tolerant of caffeine, I'll start mixing in a little more decaf every day for a week or two, and then bring it back up a little.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-17, 16:46
Registered Member

thanks so much for the caring. Right after that post i got my 1st cold as an asthmatic. It was very surprising how hard it is to fight a virus when you're on steroids. Since then my thyroid has greatly improved but I'm surprised to find myself very sleepy.

I have a sleep disorder and haven't seen a dr or gotten new equipment for my cpap in over 10 years. i'm down to a mere 6 coffees a day and have dealt with getting my first B in a class.

Hopefully I can get a new sleep study, maybe asthma changed my breathing more and get my machine refurbished or something.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 09:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I echo all the above sentiments. Just try to go with the flow the best you can and feel better!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 10:48
Registered Member

Thanks Barb!
Spent a few hours at the dmv I was talking to a man in his 80s who told me you are what you think. Even gave me a little business card that said that. I'm keeping it in my back pack so everytime I grab a pen I'll see it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-17, 15:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
Thanks Barb!
Spent a few hours at the dmv I was talking to a man in his 80s who told me you are what you think. Even gave me a little business card that said that. I'm keeping it in my back pack so everytime I grab a pen I'll see it.

That's awesome! And I think it's so true.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Oct-16-17 at 07:45.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 10:21
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

I would respectfully disagree with Alex's post; I think when you look back on this you'll shake your head in amazement that you made through such an incredibly tough time. You haven't failed; you've shifted priorities to survive at this point.

I'm hoping that your thyroid problems are starting to get sorted and your energy is starting to come back.

And think about those classes you're taking; was the point to get straight A's, or to complete the classes/degree program? Keep your keel headed into the storm and eventually it will pass.