Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 05:47

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default That awkward stage....

So up until very recently, I knew I was losing weight, but was complaining I didn't really see the difference.

I just did measurement... and then checked my measurement history on Myfitnesspal... I started measuring in January. Between January and mid-March, measurement changes were negligible, and sometimes went the wrong direction, even though I was dropping weigh.

Now?

I'm down 7-8" on my waist, 5" on my hip, from my highest measuremnets.

I'm at that awkward stage where none of my clothes fit.

I tried to do yardwork yesterday. I was in a "new" pair of shorts, that I'd bought, but hadn't been able to wear because they were too small, last summer. They "fit great" now... until I was trying to mow the lawn. Then, they started to fall off.

I'm down 45 lbs from my start-weight. I have a lot of dresses & wrap-skirts I can wear, but sometimes, you just need PANTS (or shorts, since I live in FL.)

People never seem to "get" that this is a real problem... I can't just go buy new clothes yet, because I have at LEAST 25 lbs still to go... 30 if I want to hit the top end of the"healthy" BMI. I don't have the MONEY to invest in clothes I don't expect to be able to wear in six months.

I do have a (very unprofessional-looking) effective belt... and I'll be taking in some waistbands.

I'm not the kind of person who's ever enjoyed clothes-shopping. (That's got nothing to do with size, and everything to do with personality.) I have, in the past, felt horrible guilt and begged forgivness of my husband for buying a coat when I didn't have one. That's the kind of person I am when it comes to clothes-shopping. I feel horrid guilt, because the money could be going to something else, and here I'm selfishly spending it on me. When I do get something new, it tends to take me a while to feel "comfortable" wearing it...

Right now, I'm just hating that feeling of having nothing to wear. (Made worse, earlier this week, when I was thinking, "Oh, I can wear those dressy shorts" that I last wore a month ago, only to have them ridiculously too large.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 08:18

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
So up until very recently, I knew I was losing weight, but was complaining I didn't really see the difference.

I just did measurement... and then checked my measurement history on Myfitnesspal... I started measuring in January. Between January and mid-March, measurement changes were negligible, and sometimes went the wrong direction, even though I was dropping weigh.

Now?

I'm down 7-8" on my waist, 5" on my hip, from my highest measuremnets.

I'm at that awkward stage where none of my clothes fit.

I tried to do yardwork yesterday. I was in a "new" pair of shorts, that I'd bought, but hadn't been able to wear because they were too small, last summer. They "fit great" now... until I was trying to mow the lawn. Then, they started to fall off.

I'm down 45 lbs from my start-weight. I have a lot of dresses & wrap-skirts I can wear, but sometimes, you just need PANTS (or shorts, since I live in FL.)

People never seem to "get" that this is a real problem... I can't just go buy new clothes yet, because I have at LEAST 25 lbs still to go... 30 if I want to hit the top end of the"healthy" BMI. I don't have the MONEY to invest in clothes I don't expect to be able to wear in six months.

I do have a (very unprofessional-looking) effective belt... and I'll be taking in some waistbands.

I'm not the kind of person who's ever enjoyed clothes-shopping. (That's got nothing to do with size, and everything to do with personality.) I have, in the past, felt horrible guilt and begged forgivness of my husband for buying a coat when I didn't have one. That's the kind of person I am when it comes to clothes-shopping. I feel horrid guilt, because the money could be going to something else, and here I'm selfishly spending it on me. When I do get something new, it tends to take me a while to feel "comfortable" wearing it...

Right now, I'm just hating that feeling of having nothing to wear. (Made worse, earlier this week, when I was thinking, "Oh, I can wear those dressy shorts" that I last wore a month ago, only to have them ridiculously too large.)

I hate clothes shopping. HATE IT.
But during the transitions that go on, I hit a thrift store like Goodwill (or even a consignment shop) and picked up just enough necessary pieces. You might have to visit a few to find all you need but it's better than emptying your wallet on pieces that you're going to shrink out of.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 08:45

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Pretty much where 95% of our household clothing comes from anyway!

*chuckles*
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 10:18

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
Pretty much where 95% of our household clothing comes from anyway!

*chuckles*

Ah! Well, you're already doing about the best you can do.
I feel that way too about spending money on myself. Money better spent elsewhere, right? But we have to clothe ourselves and certain situations require certain attire. A Catch-22 that stinks highly.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 10:20

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I feel you. I have some older things in my closet that are smaller, but I don't quite fit into most of them yet. Right now most of my pants are too big in the waist and keep falling down, but all the belts I own are still too small. I think like a lot of women I stopped wearing belts completely at some point. Yesterday, I found a belt I didn't realize I had--I think it came with a pair of pants. It's so incredibly ugly that I never wore it. I'm not even sure why I kept it. But it fits, so it's going to be holding my pants up for a while!

I need to start taking some of them in at the waist. That will help for a while, too. But I'm aiming for about 90 lbs. altogether and I don't see how I'm going to get there without some interim clothes, especially pants. And since I need a long inseam, the pants will have to be new. I find that if I time it right with some kind of sale, I can find really cheap options at Old Navy. They're not going to last forever, but that's sort of the point.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 10:59

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Been through this too. For me it was important to buy some 2nd hand jeans that fitted throughout weight loss. Badly fitted jeans add so much weight to your figure, nor was my overly tightened belt, digging in, and hoisting them up all day isn’t good for moral. I cull my clothes regularly now, gone are my long tunics and billowy tops and baggy jeans. My wardrobe is still in transition, it’s also very simple, just a very few of everything, minimalistic. Hope you can find some cheap stuff that fits (snug side of fitting is also good!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

boy, are you in for a treat!
find the best thrift store around and start going regularly.
you will find the most amazing things at such great prices.

* trick is to wear something so that you can easily slide things on, in the aisles..
see how they fit. especially pants.. sizing is insane.
i can wear anywhere between a 10 and 16 depending on the manufacturer..
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 14:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

What PilotGal said

Much of my wardrobe is from thrift stores .. well-made designer labels for a fraction of their original cost. As I've lost weight, and as long as those garments are still in good condition, I'll re-donate them . Some thrift stores will even give you a voucher for 10% off when you donate, so you can save more $$ on your next purchase.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 08:41

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Ditto on thrift shop! Once you get the stuff out of the store, you never have to tell where you got it. And when it gets too big, or you decide you hate it, take it right back. I too hate clothes shopping, but there's no guilt in a thrift store.

For the record, I still like long tunics and billowy tops. And let's hear it for elastic/drawstring waistbands.