Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am over 50 ................
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 16:19
Independent Thinker

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 198/186/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

54 years old.

Sloooooow weight loss. Broken metabolism. Been on all the lowfat/high carb diets. Slowly gained 60 pounds from them. Suspected Metabolic Syndrome. Gluten and Casein Intolerant.

But I know who Country Joe and the Fish are!!!!!!
  #228   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 16:43

BF:

Suzan, my weight loss is slow to so I started a new thread in the Turtle Club today...
Come join me there.....
  #229   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-10, 09:30

Plan: The Four Corners diet
Stats: 340/330/180 Female 6'
BF:
Progress:
Smile Still at it!

I remember Country Joe - and Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding Co., Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix, CSN&Y, Zeppelin, and many many more of the great bands of that era. I just turned 59 and am still a flowerchild at heart!! Albeit a much larger one than I was "back in the day" !!
I was of normal weight until I began having children in my 20's and ever since then weight has been an issue and a battle. have been a yo-yo dieter for many many years. I have great trouble with sticking with any diet or way of eating. I have finally faced the fact that I am a food addict and this coming Monday am joining a Buddhist 12 step recovery program for folks dealing with any kind of addictive behavior. I am also going back on a low carb WOE. I find I feel better physically eating this way and both my GP doctor and my endocrinologist recomment this as the healthiest way of eating. I do have some moral dilemma's with meat eating, having been a vegetarian for many years, but at this point my health is being affected by my weight and I have to do what I have to do to get myself healthy again. I do have a couple of books on low-carb vegetarian diets but I find it just too restrictive trying to eat that way long term. So anyway! I will be following what is called the 4 Corners Low Carb diet - used to be called the Go-Diet. It's not quite as restrictive as Atkins and of all the low carb diets out there, this one is the one I found worked best for me (I used it several years ago during one of my many failed attempts to lose weight and change my eating habits). During the time that I did stick to this WOE, I didn't lose weight quickly nor alot of it, but I definitely got healthier. My cholesterol went from 248 to 175, my good cholesterol increased, the bad decreased, my trigliscerides leveled out to where they should be, my blood sugar decreased to a healthy level and my blood pressure went down! I defintely want and need to lose weight but it's also about getting, and staying, healthy!! Time goes by one way or the other -while I used to be able to lose weight quicker and easier than I can now, what difference does it make if it takes me two years to get to where I need to be instead of 6 or 7 months? It's really a matter of changing one's perspective isn't it? Many things that were easy when I was younger are not so easy now - this is something one just has to accept and comes to terms with as one ages. The focus for me when I was younger was about weight loss and looking better - now it's about health first and hopefully weight loss and looking better will follow!! Let's all stick with what we are doing and be greatful for the slow, small but definite positive changes that we see! Good luck to all of you!
  #230   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-10, 17:18

BF:

I to am looking to my health first. I have alot of bad arthrtis in my knees and low back and hips and at times it is real hard to walk and I stay sore with it everyday in spite oftaking my medication for it.
I am not looking to be a thin person like I was when I was young but at a healthy weight for my five foot seven inch body frame. I figure around 150 160 qould be good for me.
  #231   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 03:16

Plan: back to moderate carb.
Stats: 185/165/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I am also looking to improve my health. Sissy I posted on your new turtle club thread this morning. I hope you can keep it going. I will try to get there every day. I am looking to be around 135 to 140 and I am 5'4" tall.
Shrl
  #232   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-18, 19:04

Plan: Zone
Stats: 235/190/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm 67. I did Atkins about 16 years ago and lost a lot of weight. then fell off the low carb wagon. but for the past 18 mos I've been mostly paleo. I say mostly b/c I occsionally drink wine and eat hummus. seriously. I only lost about 10 lbs during that first month of paleo now 18 mos later Im tryin keto. I have about 35 to lose. I dont seem to be losing very fast. I like a glass of wine or two on the weekends. but maybe im sabatoging myself. anyone else being successful with keto at this age?
  #233   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-18, 21:35

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

Weight loss is slow as we age.Have to find a plan that works for you. After 5 years on getting and being healthy.I'm having a hard time with getting back on track.I think as long as we have others to pull u along that helps. Plus. exersice also.
  #234   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 08:16

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

only lost about 10 lbs during that first month of paleo

Only? 10lbs in a month is good!
  #235   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-18, 12:33

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I'm glad to see his thread revived. Like you, Katrine, I started Atkins in 2002 (I was 60)...lost 13 lbs in the first two weeks (ah, the glory days!). Gained a lot of the weight back over the years and every time I tried again, my only reward was frustration. I thought it was because you only get one chance on low carb. Then I read an article (can't remember where) that pointed out something I hadn't thought of. The first time I did low carb, I hadn't learned how to cheat. Once I went paranoid about what went into my mouth (I think it was the the fourth time around), I started losing. It's really slow and I think my metabolism has gone the way of the dodo bird, but its worth it.
Do you keep a food diary like, say, Fitday?
  #236   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I’m adding to the “revival.” I’m 53, losing weight soooo slooooowly...

I do keep a record, I use My Fitness Pal. It helps a lot, and has gone from being an annoyance to a support—something I look forward to and then also enjoy going back and assessing weeks I lost vs weeks I didn’t and trying to see any patterns.

Like others, I focus on the health benefits. I seem to lose in waves...if I’m losing, wine a few times a week doesn’t matter. If I’m not, cutting alcohol completely makes a difference, but the loss is still...oh, about a pound a month, visible only if I add up my daily rates and average them.

I’m happy to have lost 25 pounds in 22 months, and try not to get down about reading those folks who say...I lost (something like) 50 lbs in (something like) 9 months. I lose more in the summer because I eat better, walk more, sleep more, have less stress ...

I know exercise will help, more movement, and I’m sort of trying...I guess that’s the next step but I find it hard to make the commitment to it that I made to the woe of eating almost two years ago.

How do others do it? Is there some kind of movement you really like and find fairly easy to add in?
  #237   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-18, 10:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

May I join in? I feel like this might be a good home. 56, I think, usually dont remember as its not so important. Weigh is slower than ever to come off.

Little to no exercise for a good reason , medical, but keep trying to move and improve. I did pick p a few DVD on stretches sitting in a chair, as that was all I could do at the time. It was for arthritis and older people, but it was perfect for me at the time.

Sometimes just sitting up straight in a chair is a challenge; standing up straight is the biggest challenge. Tried PT but they pushed too hard....
  #238   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 15:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I will jump in. I'm a double-nickle (55). Started low carb in earnest at age 50 with a diagnosis of diabetes and already post menopausal. Took me 10 months to lose 45 lbs which is not bad.

But I put back on ~20 lbs from 2017-mid 2019 through carb creep. Now losing really slow, maybe 1-1.5 lb a month? Ugh!

At least scale is not going in the wrong direction, and I feel tons better with a lot more energy. Now at 8 lbs to goal.

I have some aches and pains including a back issue. I have found yoga as the thing that builds my strength and balance and is easy on my back. Plus I love it, so it's easy to get myself to go to class.

I also do the treadmill with some good pacing music. Easy on the joints, can vary the exertion by changing the incline or speed. Or walk around a park! Treadmill and walking require music for me. I need something to pace me and take my mind off of "exercise".
  #239   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 16:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hi Marcie!!

Its been a year since I posted above. I have made some progress physically, actually had a veggie garden with the hard work of my teen sons.

Been dealing with a couple very bad days most recently, crawling on floor as I could not straighten upper body due to severe pain.

It was an emotional set back, too . Railing at those that caused this physical damage.

Then striving for peace .... as that is the only way forward. I put punishment in God's hands. And focus on repair. And what I can do, not what I cant.

Well, that is the gial. Giving up small farming is tough. I know that is my best dource of truly ckean food. The difficulty is the shear physical labor required.

My focus is getting my supplements organized. And take in a timely manner. As an Adder without medical support, I have resorted to Dr Google and Dr Amen.

When my "meds"are right , I can manage my food intake better. When off the rails, wow, the weight gain is staggering.
  #240   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-19, 07:16

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Ms Arielle - WOW! Crawling on floor because of pain??!! And I thought I was disabled with 2 dislocated kneecaps and total reliance on a walker to get around. My hat is off to you.

I used to be an avid vegetable gardener until one year it rained so much I could not weed - and my boots were sucked off my feet because of the mud! So I tried window boxes to grow my Greek salad - but just as everything was ready to harvest, my dog decided everything smelled so good, he ate it all before I could get to it. Very discouraging. So now I buy at the market.

Now that I am in my 80's and watching the pounds creep back up, I am back to watching my carbs again.

What I have found this time around is that I have developed food intolerances I did not have before. Wheat was the first discovery which forced me back to low carb eating. Now I find I have developed an intolerance to dairy - and I LOVE cheese. I learned the last time around that I developed cravings from eating fruit - so I can't use that carb ladder.

Because I have not been following low-carb consistently since losing my 80 pounds, I have regained 30. I know I cannot get back down 30 pounds, so I am aiming to lose 20 of them.

Getting older is not for the faint of heart. Being handicapped is a test of patience as everything takes longer to do. But I can still make my own decisions as to what I put in my mouth.